• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden International Cricketer of the year.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dileep Premachandran

October 30, 2003

Five years ago, Ricky Ponting's captaincy credentials were pretty thin on the ground, blighted by repeated run-ins with authority and inconsistent form. When Steve Waugh's one-day career came to a shuddering halt after the VB Series in 2001-02, Adam Gilchrist was considered by most to have the best chance of becoming first among equals. But Australian cricket got to its position of pre-eminence largely because of the establishment's knack for following up on inspired hunches, and the appointment of Ponting may be considered one such in the years to come.

Waugh had led them to World Cup success in 1999, and also presided over the era of dominance that followed, but anyone who expected a mini-dip under Ponting was in for a rude awakening. Australia lost only one one-day match of any consequence – against Sri Lanka, on a sluggish pitch, at the ICC Knockout Trophy – and Ponting ended the season with a win-loss record that read 30-5. More importantly, a team deprived of the services of Shane Warne at the stroke of midnight, progressed unbeaten through the World Cup campaign, the first time it had ever been done since the competition was expanded in 1992.

Not only did Ponting lead the side with flair, imagination and the aggression that we have come to expect from those in baggy green, but he also contributed immeasurably to the victory with his bat. A blistering hundred in the Super Sixes helped rout Sri Lanka, and he followed that with a glorious 121-ball 140 in the final, hammering India's in-form attack into submission. It was easily the highlight of his one-day season, one that produced 1150 runs – inclusive of five 100s and three 50s – at a tremendous average of 47.91.

Not having to concern himself with captaincy concerns, he was even more impressive in the Test arena. Two glorious hundreds at Colombo and Sharjah contributed to a 3-0 thrashing of a hapless Pakistan side, and he followed that with back-to-back Ashes centuries at Brisbane and Adelaide as Australia retained the urn inside 11 days.

The pinnacle though was scaled in the West Indies, where Ponting chiselled out superb hundreds at Georgetown, Port-of-Spain and Bridgetown to continue Australia's recent dominance in the Frank Worrell Trophy contests. It ensured that he finished the season with 1351 Test runs at 75.05, and the small matter of seven centuries.

Great players have enjoyed halcyon years in the past, but few will ever be able to look back on a catalogue of achievement that reads 2501 runs, 12 centuries and a bauble called the World Cup. If 1930 belonged to Sir Donald Bradman and 1976 to Sir Vivian Richards, 2002-03 will forever be associated with a man who got lucky with every punt he made, a batsman and leader with few peers in modern-day cricket.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't just have Graeme Smith as the young player of the year, I'd have him as the full cricketer of the year. This guy is a superb captain for someone his age and batted fantastically in England although he was rarely facing an attack worthy of the name. But how many people break the national record for highest score then follow it up with another double ton?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Smith wasn't nearly as consistent as Ponting.
How many national records has Ponting broken since taking over the captaincy?

Ponting may have been consistant but take away the innings in the World Cup Final, and he's just been a very consistant part of a very consistant batting machine.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith has had just a couple of outstanding innings this past year and a fair few <50. Ponting has 7 hundreds! I understand what you are saying in terms of Ponting having great support in his batting lineup and it is a valid point, but Smith certainly hasn't done enough to displace him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
I wouldn't just have Graeme Smith as the young player of the year, I'd have him as the full cricketer of the year. This guy is a superb captain for someone his age and batted fantastically in England although he was rarely facing an attack worthy of the name. But how many people break the national record for highest score then follow it up with another double ton?
The vote was unanimous in favour of Ponting. The panel of judges consisted of Barry Richards, Richie Benaud, Michael Holding, Michael Atherton, Ravi Shastri, Rameez Raja and Ranjan Madugalle.

If those esteemed judges of the game are fully in agreement that Ponting is the cricketer of the year, that's good enough for me, although I was incredibly impressed with Graeme Smith.

However, his breakfast assassination of Zulu did not endear him to Benaud in particular, hence 'Young cricketer' for someone who acted like a child (albeit off the field) is quite apt

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
However, his breakfast assassination of Zulu did not endear him to Benaud in particular, hence 'Young cricketer' for someone who acted like a child (albeit off the field) is quite apt
Yeah very true. But in a pure cricketing sense not including the stupid things he said (which I do not agree at all with, Zulu is a player who is too good for SA to screw-off), he's done more to inspire hope in South African cricket than anyone I can remember since Hansie's downfall. And he even persuaded Gary Kirsten to carry on, and he keeps just racking century after century up.

Ponting's never won it before and well done to him. Anyone got a guess who you think it will be next year?

My bet is on Sarwan.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yikes. That doesn't say much about the standard of Test cricket...
At the end of the day though Liam, no-one can telll who will be the star performer in the next 12 months!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but I'm fairly certain that Junaid Zia will win the Player of the Year award and Vasbert Drakes will run away with the young Player of the Year award.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr. Ponting said:
Eclispe where did you find this article? cricinfo?
I just riped it from another forum but yeah I am fairly certain it came form cricketinfo.