• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am a thread for Polite Discussion about Umpiring Errors as of post #57

adub

International Captain
On Gilly going through frame by frame I'm not convinced he did hit it. But when it pitches this far outside leg the question is purely academic.

Attachments

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Do they have optometrists in Chennai?

Ball on bat and ground at the same time - bump ball, not out.
Actually in that region of India they have even better.......known as Aravind, the world's leading ophthalmological research institute/ hospital.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Do they have optometrists in Chennai?

Ball on bat and ground at the same time - bump ball, not out.
yeah coz it is clear that it is what is happening from that picture.. It is not even conclusive that the ball is hitting that bat in that pic. 8-) get a grip. Not one commentator or player thought it was not out... He hit it on the bounce, as simple as that and a great catch.

Guess the opthos aren't that flash in Sydney either..

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah the commentators in that match were not biased at ALL......as if anything can be justified based on what the commentators say. Terrible argument.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah coz it is clear that it is what is happening from that picture.. It is not even conclusive that the ball is hitting that bat in that pic. 8-) get a grip. Not one commentator or player thought it was not out... He hit it on the bounce, as simple as that and a great catch.

Given the commentary for Gilchrist's lbw decision you'll forgive me if I don't give the commentary team an ounce of credibility.

adub

International Captain

You should lower your crack intake.

There's this little thing called benefit of the doubt. Problem is that there isn't really any doubt at all. It is actually quite clearly hitting bat and ground simultaneously and due to the speed of the camera the previous shot has the ball in the air on the way to the bat, and the next has the ball in the air on the way to the fielder. If this had been a run out it would be green lights all the way.

Of course if it had be Harbi batting to Warne in Sydney and the same decision had been made you'd be burning effigies. Worst hat trick in history. I suppose you can at least comfort yourself that Ponting was plumb.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Right. So this is off the face of the bat?
I don't know if he hit it but as you say it seemed to pitch well outside leg stump anyway. Poor home-town decision.

I'm not entering the fray about whether Australia or India had had the worse of the umpiring decisions over the years btw. I genuinely could not care less. Although, I have to admit, I'm more sympathetic to the criminal point of view than I was several years ago.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The amazing thing about Bucknor is that anyone ever thought he was competent in the first place. A criminally over-rated umpire from shoddy beginning to embarrassing end.

uvelocity

International Coach
Haven't been on this board for an Aust v India series but I can see it will be one of three f words. Funny, frustrating or completely ****ed. Can't wait.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh FFS.

Below is a Sparkeh line.

________________________________(I'm a Sparkeh line)___________________________________

I'm going to make a vain attempt to make this a decent thread about umpiring, probably because I'm a masochist. Any more squabbling I see below this line gets deleted and if I get my way, infracted.

The thread title now is

Polite Umpiring Errors Discussion

See to it, or the thread gets closed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
why am i the opening poster? :laugh:

pews :laugh:
was i the one who initiated the debate?
Yeah, I moved all these posts from the Anti McWarne thread into this one and called it "Off-topic umpiring conspiracies and general partisan squabbling". Phlegm seems to think it can be saved, hence the new title. Phlegm is wrong though. :ph34r: