• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Angelo Mathews-Selfish?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Now I have made this thread now watch him score a winning 100 next game:p

In the last few months he has employed some very questionable tactics. First there was that Chandimal century farce then his own selfish batting for his first 100 when SL needed to press on to level the series and then today was contend to bat for the * next to his name when there was a need to get quick runs with just the tail batting with him. For such a talented bloke he does employ some questionable batting tactics.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
since becoming captain Til Dil is convinced he is the second coming of Richie Benaud.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he is overated but I think it is harsh to call a guy selfish when he is still in the infancy of their career and may not be 100% certain about their place in the side. If that is the case then it is only human nature to look after number 1.

Not as though he is a guy with 50 tests, 10 tons and 4000 runs behind him is it?

DriveClub

International Regular
I think he is overated but I think it is harsh to call a guy selfish when he is still in the infancy of their career and may not be 100% certain about their place in the side. If that is the case then it is only human nature to look after number 1.

Not as though he is a guy with 50 tests, 10 tons and 4000 runs behind him is it?
Define over-rated

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Define over-rated
Well there are some people on here claiming he is going to be the next brilliant run machine from Sri Lanka and given him god like status already. I think that it is fair to call him over rated after that.

Xuhaib

International Coach

yeah maybe I am being to harsh on him he just might have a very poor game sense, was certainly odd seeing him just content on blocking when the need was to hog the strike and get quick runs, another 30-40 runs and Pakistan would have had to bat on day 5 to win the game he neither tried to farm the bowling or hit big shots just kept on patting it back to the bowler or get an odd lazy single.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well there are some people on here claiming he is going to be the next brilliant run machine from Sri Lanka and given him god like status already. I think that it is fair to call him over rated after that.
Averages close to 50 in a domestic FC competition that is ridiculously bowler friendly and in which the likes of Sangakkara average less than 40 IIRC. Can't blame people for getting excited at that when a young batsman is putting up those sorts of numbers.

Xuhaib

International Coach
never doubted his skills not sure he will be a big run machine like Mahela and Sanga but imo he is techically a better batsman then Mahela.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I haven't seen his innings today to properly comment, but in Tests I'd have thought that not getting out is pretty much the optimal batting strategy there is. You can't score any runs from the pavilion.

Woodster

International Captain

I'm not entirely sure you need to have played that much cricket to realise you are batting with the tail, therfore you need to shepherd the strike, and if the runs are going to come it's you that needs to take the initiative and attempt to get them quickly. He let Lakmal face too much of the strike, he had no gameplan and left him to cope with Ajmal, which when it's turning is very tough for an established batsman.

Maybe it was down to inexperience, but anyone with a cricket brain should be aware of what's required in these situations. Selfish or naive ? Whichever it is, he is making some odd decisions and seemingly not learning quickly enough.

As for his talent, I'm a big fan. Not sure whether I'd go to the extreme, but he is a very promising all-rounder.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I haven't seen his innings today to properly comment, but in Tests I'd have thought that not getting out is pretty much the optimal batting strategy there is. You can't score any runs from the pavilion.
his innings made sense till 7th wicket fell after that he kept exposing the tail to Saeed Ajmal without any attempt to up the run rate.

Woodster

International Captain
While that is true, you have take more of a calculated risk when you are batting with the tail. If SL were going to get a lead of around 120, then Mathews had to take the strike and look to put bat to ball. Or just dot out the first four balls and take his chances on the last couple making sure he got either boundaries or down the other end. He didn't really look like he was targeting either.

Woodster

International Captain
his innings made sense till 7th wicket fell after that he kept exposing the tail to Saeed Ajmal without any attempt to up the run rate.
Yes I agree, and he was fortunate that the likes of Herath and Lakmal did make the odd decent connection.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While that is true, you have take more of a calculated risk when you are batting with the tail. If SL were going to get a lead of around 120, then Mathews had to take the strike and look to put bat to ball. Or just dot out the first four balls and take his chances on the last couple making sure he got either boundaries or down the other end. He didn't really look like he was targeting either.
Fair dos, although I'd still be loathe to criticise a batsman who remains not out too much.

Woodster

International Captain
Fair dos, although I'd still be loathe to criticise a batsman who remains not out too much.
The team's needs must come ahead of personal triumphs. Admittedly when an individual reaches a milestone it's going to have a positive impact on the team, but the team must always come first. I'm not suggesting Mathews was intentionally selfish, but he didn't play the situation well for me.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
He did try to farm the strike but did not go after the boundaries. He preferred to block the 5 deliveries and then take a single.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Averages close to 50 in a domestic FC competition that is ridiculously bowler friendly and in which the likes of Sangakkara average less than 40 IIRC. Can't blame people for getting excited at that when a young batsman is putting up those sorts of numbers.
But if he's that good, why was he batting at 7 in the previous series, below Prasanna Jayawardene?