• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Angelo Mathews-Selfish?

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Yeah sorry. Dumb flippin mistake. I didn't read the thread properly. That was 1 hour of my life I'll never get back.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, another generic example here.

We had a debate where delegates from different countries were invited. A lad from Spain asked me, "Dude, why are guys in your country so gay?" Shocked, I asked him, what makes him say that. He said guys here would walk together holding hands and stuff. So a plainly simple friendly gesture looks overtly friendly elsewhere.
:wacko:

Flem274*

123/5
:shock:

All gay discussion -> out.

intcricket, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but stop trying to cover yourself with random arguments about holding hands.

I was making a simple analogy of how different things are perceived differently, like Nasser's "donkey" comment was fine in England, not in India.

Similarly, my assertion is that it would seem alien to others that people in the subcontinent indulge in activities like delaying declarations to let a batsmen score a double hundred, run across the field during taking a run to congratulate his skipper (Murali doing so to congo Kumar) and a lot of activities that are peculiar to the SC.

Regardless, if you interpreted it the other way, I regret it.
No you weren't. Don't bull**** me.

You're reported for review in general for trolling, baiting and forum atmosphere reasons.

This thread is about Angelo Mathews, not Spanish gay people. All discussion of anything else below this post will be deleted.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I don't really think that makes him selfish.

A selfish player is the kind who'd want to grab all the glory and accomplishments. How does Matthews giving strike to tailenders make him selfish?

Maybe it makes him cowardly. I dunno.

Jacknife

International Captain
Got to admit when he walked to the crease and then preceded to not get off the mark for 10 balls and pushed the run rate over 7, I thought he was going to put pressure on the guy at the other end.
I personally thought especially once Chandimal was out, he being the best batsman should have taken more control of the situation and chanced his arm a bit more.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Got to admit when he walked to the crease and then preceded to not get off the mark for 10 balls and pushed the run rate over 7, I thought he was going to put pressure on the guy at the other end.
I personally thought especially once Chandimal was out, he being the best batsman should have taken more control of the situation and chanced his arm a bit more.
Its more that he realises that if he gets out Sri Lanka are doomed. The guy can't really slog in that position.

This severely hampers him. This whole discussion is stupid anyway, since SL's main problems are clearly NOT related to Matthews.

He's like the one bright spark in the setup atm. Its pointless to have a go at him.

Himannv

International Coach
I agree that he should have taken more control.

To address this thread in general, I think today's knock probably proves he isn't selfish. If anything, he probably needs to be more selfish and take on the strike a bit more and back himself a bit.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem is that he's not able to do it against Ajmal and Afridi who are good spinners with many variations. Mathews and Sanga are there to take pacemen to the business. Other chokers should know how to handle spin than this. FFS, SL in late 90s handled Warne, Saqlain and Kumble better than this. Seeing Hafeez getting away with 7-1-26-1 is insulting. During Ranatunga's time Hafeez would have gone 5+ without much problem. SL batmen are losing their spin playing abilities fast.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga woudn't have been a successful batsman (relatively, with good home stats and **** SC stats) as he is if he played for SAF or Australia, because spinners would have homed on him very heavily. His reduced ability to play spin does get lost among the plethora of SL batsmen who take on spinners. If Sanga played for India, would have been still more successful, because Indian batsmen are the best against spin (even tail enders!), and there will be less pressure on him. To Sanga's credit, he has improved his spin play, and sticks at it.

Mathews also from the same clan. mercurial against pace and bounce, OK with pace and movement, but very un-SC like when it comes to handleing spin. He's a good batsman, so he'd pick spinners off the pitch and play late, and if he finds out there's nothing fancy about the spinner will use the long handle. But with Ajmal and Afridi (and perhaps Ashwin), who has variations of spin, will tie down Mathews. On other hand, I expect him to do well against Vettori or Ojha (who mainly use changes of flight and pace), because he picks the length early. Swann will be somewhere in between, as his modus operandi is variations of flight and pace, does possess a straight on ball which is very effective due to massive spin he imparts.

So yes, spinners who have doosras, carom balls and googlies will tie down Mathews, but I expect others to be taken to the cleaners if used at the death.

Last edited: