• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best at their peak?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How's this for a peak? 11 years and 90 matches, 631 wickets @ 7 wpm and average of under 20. That's the reason why I regard Murali the greatest bowler ever bar none. He was "unstoppable" for whole 11 years.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Sachin once scored 495 runs in three innings in 2004 against Australia and Pakistan without being dismissed.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
would have to back lara as he had a couple of incredible series in his career...
completely agree. and not only that he has had some incredible innings too in terms of just piling on the runs. and some incredible overs.....scoring 26 and 28 or whatever the correct number is on more than one occasion. pretty much ticks all the boxes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are we talking about an extended peak over a period of months and years or those matches where a player hit his zenith?

If it's the latter it has to be Curtly Ambrose as a bowler. The man was almost literally unplayable when the force was with him and the wind was at his back. His spell to reduce an England chasing just 194 for victory at Port of Spain in 94 to 46ao was as relentless as it was magnificent.

& BC Lara as a batsman, obvz. Preternaturally gifted and, at this perihelion, awesome in the literal sense of inspiring admiration (amongst those watching) and fear (amongst those bowling to him).

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Would add Ian Botham to that list. For the first 5 years of his career he was arguably the greatest cricketer to ever grace the field.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
At their very best as batsmen:

Lara
Ponting
Gilchrist
Sehwag

Reckon when they were on song the other teams were crying themselves to sleep.

For bowlers;

Waqar, Donald and Warne

They were asphyxiatingly good, batsmen didn't know what shot to play or what balls were threatening or not. Waqar for fast bowlers, Warne for spinners. I think Warne in the 00s was the greatest spinner ever. He was, ludicrously, striking at 50 - about as fast as McGrath - and that hides how good he really was, for Australia was not conducive to spin in that time. Away from home he was striking at 44!

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
How's this for a peak? 11 years and 90 matches, 631 wickets @ 7 wpm and average of under 20. That's the reason why I regard Murali the greatest bowler ever bar none. He was "unstoppable" for whole 11 years.
Once you account for the minnows it's really not that much better than his overall career stats. Christ, he's incredibly reliant on his home pitches.

I haven't looked but he probably has a more impressive record in a shorter period.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think if peak for bowlers is concerned Imran probably had the best post war peak among all bowlers.

Was quite unplayable for a 3 year period before his injury

akilana

International 12th Man
What's his record excluding England?:ph34r: