View Poll Results: Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Virat Kohli

36 73.47%
  • Yuvraj Singh

13 26.53%
Page 1 of 171 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* West Indies in India

Simon Champion!

*Official* West Indies in India

No Harbhajan, Raina; Sachin, Sehwag return for 1st Test vs West Indies

Indian skipper MS Dhoni was expected to get rest for the 1st Test against the West Indies beginning from November 6. But that did not happen as he was included in the squad announced on Friday.

Meanwhile, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh and Ishant Sharma made a comeback to the side after their injury-induced absence.

Harbhajan Singh, who was dropped for the ODI series against England, has again been excluded. R Ashwin, who has cemented his place in the ODI team, has finally got the selector's nod for Tests as well. He is joined Pragyan Ojha in the spin department.

The 3 Test series begins at the Ferozeshah Kotla Stadium here.

Sehwag had undergone two surgeries on his shoulder while Yuvraj Singh was out of action from the England tour due to a strained ligament. Tendulkar suffered from a swolledn toe on the same tour.

West Indies on the other hand have had their share of injuries with Adrian Barath being replaced by Lendl Simmons for the two-Test series against Bangladesh.

The squad: MS Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Yuvraj Singh, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Virat Kohli, Varun Aaron, Rahul Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane

No Harbhajan, Raina; Sachin, Sehwag return for 1st Test vs West Indies | News | NDTVSports.com

Simon Champion!
    In batting really happy that Ajinkya Rahane got selected. Though i am not sure about him as a backup opener which seems his role.

Happy with Kohli's selection too, but hopefully Yuvraj Singh doesn't get a opportunity in this series as his performing here,(which he probably will if he plays decently) would mean that he plays In Australia, which could again end up like Raina failing in England after performing in West Indies.

Also poor Badrinath must have done something to piss off Fletcher/Dhoni/Selectors in West Indies.Seem to have vanished him without playing him yet again based on ODI's.

In terms of bowling, Firstly Harbhajan and Sreesanth being dropped is a really positive move.

Umesh Yadav and Aaron are interesting selections but certainly worth a try a guess. Ojha and Ashwin desrved selections too.

But the real shocker is Rahul Sharma being picked ahead of Amit Mishra, Bhargav Bhatt etc.. which seems to have come out of nowhere and seems a real gamble based on IPL. Harsh on Amit Mishra too, just after the England series.
    Last edited by Cevno; 28-10-2011 at 11:37 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Should be an easy series win for India going on the fact that India reserves won in West Indies earlier in the year. I hope Rahane gets a chance in the test side soon.

Good to see Rahane and Ashwin in.

But Aaron and Rahul Sharma are piss-poor moves for a test series now. Hopefully, they don't get a game.

And what about Pujara? Is he still injured?

And has Praveen Kumar been dropped or rested? If not rested, then I must say that the selectors have gone insane.
    Last edited by weldone; 28-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Dropping of the only bowler who stood up in England seems a bit harsh.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Simon Champion!
    Probably rested to give one of Yadav and Aaron a go in the first test.

Pujara i think, has just recovered but has played no cricket since mid IPL, so pretty understandable they don't select him until he gets atleast some Domestic matches under the belt.

Also still can't figure out what Rahul Sharma has done to get selected even ahead of the likes of Bhargav Bhatt etc....
    Last edited by Cevno; 28-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Think PK is just rested and will probably play again soon.. Think Dhoni will be rested for the ODI leg of this tour and hopefully few others are tried out then too...

But a bowling line up of Ashwin, Rahul Sharma, Yadav and Ishant has serious prospects of being poo.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post

But a bowling line up of Ashwin, Rahul Sharma, Yadav and Ishant has serious prospects of being poo.
    Ishant goes pretty decent in India with Reverse Swing and just had a big series against West Indies tbf.

Sharma is a big gamble, but think Ashwin will go well against the Windies too, while they try to figure him out.And Ojha would probably play ahead of both in any case.

Yadav can be scattergun but better than giving Crapsanth another go or picking Mithun or Munaf like we did in West Indies.

U19 Debutant
    i refuse to believe they dropped praveen kumar. this is isn't real life.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Pretty sure PK is just rested and I think he well deserves it. Rahul Sharma in the team stinks. Pujara is not yet fully fit and should be in the running for the Australia tour. Excited for Rahane but don't see him playing.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    PK is rested. He has been playing non stop cricket after the world cup. Only missed the Champions league. Played in WI ODI,Tests. England tests ODIs too.

Aaron and Sharma are more of a gamble by selectors on the off chance that they pay off. Both have poor FC records.

That bowling attack looks absolutely dreadful. I like Ashwin being selected but the rest of the attack is a joke.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    ^ There is no one else to select

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    That bowling attack looks absolutely dreadful. I like Ashwin being selected but the rest of the attack is a joke.
    thats why india lost 4-0.
    there's just no decent bowler left in whole of india. pathetic.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Well at least they picked some decent venues this time around, Ahemdabad and Hydrabad should never get another test match again.

Page 1 of 171 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information