• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No Harbhajan, Raina; Sachin, Sehwag return for 1st Test vs West Indies

Indian skipper MS Dhoni was expected to get rest for the 1st Test against the West Indies beginning from November 6. But that did not happen as he was included in the squad announced on Friday.

Meanwhile, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh and Ishant Sharma made a comeback to the side after their injury-induced absence.

Harbhajan Singh, who was dropped for the ODI series against England, has again been excluded. R Ashwin, who has cemented his place in the ODI team, has finally got the selector's nod for Tests as well. He is joined Pragyan Ojha in the spin department.

The 3 Test series begins at the Ferozeshah Kotla Stadium here.

Sehwag had undergone two surgeries on his shoulder while Yuvraj Singh was out of action from the England tour due to a strained ligament. Tendulkar suffered from a swolledn toe on the same tour.

West Indies on the other hand have had their share of injuries with Adrian Barath being replaced by Lendl Simmons for the two-Test series against Bangladesh.

The squad: MS Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Yuvraj Singh, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Virat Kohli, Varun Aaron, Rahul Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane

No Harbhajan, Raina; Sachin, Sehwag return for 1st Test vs West Indies | News | NDTVSports.com

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
In batting really happy that Ajinkya Rahane got selected.:D Though i am not sure about him as a backup opener which seems his role.

Happy with Kohli's selection too, but hopefully Yuvraj Singh doesn't get a opportunity in this series as his performing here,(which he probably will if he plays decently) would mean that he plays In Australia, which could again end up like Raina failing in England after performing in West Indies.

Also poor Badrinath must have done something to piss off Fletcher/Dhoni/Selectors in West Indies.Seem to have vanished him without playing him yet again based on ODI's.:(

In terms of bowling, Firstly Harbhajan and Sreesanth being dropped is a really positive move.:thumbsup:

Umesh Yadav and Aaron are interesting selections but certainly worth a try a guess. Ojha and Ashwin desrved selections too.

But the real shocker is Rahul Sharma being picked ahead of Amit Mishra, Bhargav Bhatt etc.. which seems to have come out of nowhere and seems a real gamble based on IPL. Harsh on Amit Mishra too, just after the England series.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should be an easy series win for India going on the fact that India reserves won in West Indies earlier in the year. I hope Rahane gets a chance in the test side soon.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Rahane and Ashwin in.

But Aaron and Rahul Sharma are piss-poor moves for a test series now. Hopefully, they don't get a game.

And what about Pujara? Is he still injured?

And has Praveen Kumar been dropped or rested? If not rested, then I must say that the selectors have gone insane.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Probably rested to give one of Yadav and Aaron a go in the first test.

Pujara i think, has just recovered but has played no cricket since mid IPL, so pretty understandable they don't select him until he gets atleast some Domestic matches under the belt.

Also still can't figure out what Rahul Sharma has done to get selected even ahead of the likes of Bhargav Bhatt etc....

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think PK is just rested and will probably play again soon.. Think Dhoni will be rested for the ODI leg of this tour and hopefully few others are tried out then too...

But a bowling line up of Ashwin, Rahul Sharma, Yadav and Ishant has serious prospects of being poo. :(

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
But a bowling line up of Ashwin, Rahul Sharma, Yadav and Ishant has serious prospects of being poo. :(
Ishant goes pretty decent in India with Reverse Swing and just had a big series against West Indies tbf.

Sharma is a big gamble, but think Ashwin will go well against the Windies too, while they try to figure him out.And Ojha would probably play ahead of both in any case.

Yadav can be scattergun but better than giving Crapsanth another go or picking Mithun or Munaf like we did in West Indies.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Pretty sure PK is just rested and I think he well deserves it. Rahul Sharma in the team stinks. Pujara is not yet fully fit and should be in the running for the Australia tour. Excited for Rahane but don't see him playing.

ganeshran

International Debutant
PK is rested. He has been playing non stop cricket after the world cup. Only missed the Champions league. Played in WI ODI,Tests. England tests ODIs too.

Aaron and Sharma are more of a gamble by selectors on the off chance that they pay off. Both have poor FC records.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That bowling attack looks absolutely dreadful. I like Ashwin being selected but the rest of the attack is a joke.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Well at least they picked some decent venues this time around, Ahemdabad and Hydrabad should never get another test match again.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see the strongest possible batting lineup selected. Bowling lineup pretty poor as usual.
Hope no one gets injured during the series. This could have been a good chance to select Jadeja.
None of the bowlers can hold a bat except Ashwin. Nevertheless, the way the Bangers have played the WI bowlers, I dont think it ll come to that.

Are there any WI posters around in CW?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should've rested PK for the 4th and 5th ODIs at least, wanted to see him play tests in home conditions. I also have no ****ing idea how Dhoni keeps playing, he's going to collapse one of these days.

Rahul Sharma is a bit of a wtf, though he's unlikely to play at all. Ashwin is a positive move by the selectors. Hope we go with Yadav, Aaron, Ishant and Ashwin. Don't really want two spinners but that's just my personal bias coming out.

Can't decide between Kohli and Rahane, don't mind Yuvraj but I'd rather he not play :p

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
West Indies not sending their strongest possible side. So arrogant. Hope they get justice served.

I'm going to post this once a day ftr.