• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Can't see it myself. Unless Edwards or Roach rip through them the Windies will struggle to get 20 wickets. They are capable but so hit and miss you wouldn't rely on it happening. Think Bishoo will struggle on this tour.
Don't think Roach would be that big a factor. He's been in woeful form of late and I haven't seen evidence to suggest that he can think batsmen out in conditions vastly foreign to him. We've seen in the past how rank, up-and-down quick bowling is dealt with on benign pitches.

The man who could be the key is Rampaul. He's been in superb nick and has a tendency to pick up wickets with the new ball. If the host batsmen aren't careful, Rampaul and Edwards might give them a nasty surprise or two. On any day of the week, Edwards is a fair few leagues ahead of Roach, in my book. If ever there was a case of a bowler being overrated just because of pace, I feel that Kemar Roach's is a classical case.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm really not happy with the selection of Aaron in the Test squad. I think it is a disgraceful disregarding of the distinction between the formats.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Roach would be that big a factor. He's been in woeful form of late and I haven't seen evidence to suggest that he can think batsmen out in conditions vastly foreign to him. We've seen in the past how rank, up-and-down quick bowling is dealt with on benign pitches.

The man who could be the key is Rampaul. He's been in superb nick and has a tendency to pick up wickets with the new ball. If the host batsmen aren't careful, Rampaul and Edwards might give them a nasty surprise or two. On any day of the week, Edwards is a fair few leagues ahead of Roach, in my book. If ever there was a case of a bowler being overrated just because of pace, I feel that Kemar Roach's is a classical case.
I agree, just think that the main way Windies will get at India is with express pace which to be fair Roach does possess. He isn't one to rely on though, then again nor is Edwards so it will be tough for them. Rampaul looks an honest tryer who could get 3-80 in 30 overs but I don't see him getting a 5 fer in quick time and causing a collapse on Indian pitches. Might be wrong though.

Daemon

Rampaul and Edwards will be the ones to watch out for, Sammy and Bishoo shouldn't do too badly themselves either though besides keeping it tight I don't know whether Sammy will be effective.

The WI have a better attack than the Indians, though that advantage is negated and more when you consider the difference in both teams batting lineups, especially in these conditions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RP Singh was picked for the England tour, played, did alright for a guy horribly out of shape and form
No he didn't

It was a ****ty selection to bring him over to England and they've rectified the mistake.
Quite.

Unfortunately there is little evidence to suggest they have any better, though. Sometimes you just have to pick the "least crap" player available.
"Reaching for a Dernbach", as I believe the phrase has it.

No Praveen is mildly odd, given he's 24 (allegedly etc) and bowls at about 45mph and makes even less sense when Ishant, who's reportedly carrying an ankle injury, hasn't been "rested".

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
In fairness Kumar bowled more overs than the rest of the attack back in England. I kinda felt sorry for him at Edgbaston; it reminded me of the test in Brisbane but I felt pity rather than lulz.

The WI would have more of a chance if they had Gayle but that's not gonna happen.

Also very happy to see Raina dropped was awful in the tests in England he could barely play spin when it finally turned at the Oval and didn't seem to be able to grasp how to play a ball that went at the ribcage.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Quite.

"Reaching for a Dernbach", as I believe the phrase has it.

No Praveen is mildly odd, given he's 24 (allegedly etc) and bowls at about 45mph and makes even less sense when Ishant, who's reportedly carrying an ankle injury, hasn't been "rested".
Ishant's been rested for the ODIs, which by Indian standards is outstanding management.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The form of Roach is really concerning. Not sure whats going on there. Showed so much promise after he ripped through Sri Lanka and some fiery spells against South Africa. His confidence is definitely down and it doesn't seem to help that a lot of catches are shelled off his bowling.

Daemon

Ishant's been rested for the ODIs, which by Indian standards is outstanding management.
Don't think he was rested, he simply isn't in the OD scheme of things now. He's also been playing the domestic T20 tournament during the one day series.

Still feel we should've rested Praveen for at least the latter half of the one day series and the T20 and played him in the tests.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think he was rested, he simply isn't in the OD scheme of things now. He's also been playing the domestic T20 tournament during the one day series.

Still feel we should've rested Praveen for at least the latter half of the one day series and the T20 and played him in the tests.
I couldnt find out the Indian ODI squad in cricinfo. Can someone please post the squad or the link in which it is posted?

Daemon

India news: Fast bowlers need to be rested - Sehwag | India Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

India's selectors have rested players for various series and have had distinct teams for Test and limited-overs games in the recent past. Sehwag said a player could therefore ask to be rested if they needed a break. "A cricketer's passion is to play for the country. If somebody says he's tired, he can talk to the team management. [MS] Dhoni was not given rest on his request, because there were too many injuries in the team."

He also rejected the notion that players now prefer the IPL to Test cricket and said the whole club versus country debate was a silly one. "Tell me one cricketer who has said that? It's a perception that the media and ex-cricketers have. Every youngster dreams of playing Tests. There is not a single Indian or for that matter international cricketer who has taken retirement from Tests and ODIs to play IPL.

"I played the World Cup with injuries, Sachin played when he had a fractured toe or other injuries. People are not aware of this."

morgieb

The form of Roach is really concerning. Not sure whats going on there. Showed so much promise after he ripped through Sri Lanka and some fiery spells against South Africa. His confidence is definitely down and it doesn't seem to help that a lot of catches are shelled off his bowling.
Why the **** did they drop him then?

Daemon

Don't really agree, but can't they **** off Bishoo and just let ****s like Samuels do the spinning duties?
Rampaul is averaging 23.7 this year. In the same series that Roach averaged 44 (against Pakistan), Rampaul averaged 20.

Samuels' ban wasn't lifted somewhere in the middle of the India series iirc and regardless, he's a not a very good bowler. Bishoo also did very well against India, had an average of 25 or so.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I havent seen him bat yet, but how good is Kirk Edwards technically, against pace and spin? Now that the Windies are touring India and the Indian bowling being pooh, will the 92 average guy rock on the Indian pitches. Any guesses?