• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul is the key for the West Indies.

Seems a sort of typical Delhi wicket. Should get uneven bounce too, as the match goes on.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, interesting quote from Cricinfo:

"Man, it doesn't matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero." - The hilarious welcome Viv Richards gave Sunil Gavaskar, who dropped himself to No. 4 to escape the fury of the West Indies quicks, only to walk out at 0 for 2 after Malcolm Marshall had removed Gaekwad and Vengsarkar for blobs. It's fair to say things have changed since that day in Chennai, back in 1983. The balance has shifted drastically, this time the Indian batsmen will be the bullies. The closest you will come to seeing a real West Indian quick is in the home broadcaster's studio, where Courtney Walsh, the last of the Mohicans, is one of the panelists
To make that story even more awesomer, they should have mentioned the small matter of Gavaskar going on to score 236 in that innings :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Sehwag bowling again. Been a long while since he last bowled in a test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ta. What's Praveen been rested for? Hasn't there only been ODIs since the England tour for India?
He's been playing continuously since the Indian tour of the West Indies and he's had some pretty long spells in amongst all that. I think it's more so that they can have a look at the other bowlers before the tour of Australia though.

Either way it's dire IMO; you don't play a stack of ODIs and then rest from a Test series, and you don't treat a Test series as a selection trial, but there you go.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's my point. I'd have thought they would rest him from ODIs. Pretty weird.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA. Best spinner playing in this match.
I am so glad to hear that. Few people realise (incuding the much admired great indian skipper) how good a spinner Sehwag is. For a side bemoaning the lack of an all rounder for two decades, it is astonishing we refuse to see under the nose.

By the way, I did not realise Sehwag was bowling since I finally walked off from in front of the screen. It is painful watching. I think India does not just need cricketers in administration, they need bowlers, preferably fast bowlers.

The Kotla wicket is all the things a test wicket should not be. Yadav did not look great (140 kmph is not my aphrodisiac) but one can sympathise with the young man for the terrible terrible low bounce even in the first 15 minutes of the game. This is ridiculous. Just because India has won 8 of the last 9 tests here is no reason why Kotla should be written off as a test venue till something is done about the wicket.

It is a paradox really. Indian money will sustain the world game and indian wickets might ruin the chances of India ever becoming a truly great cricketing nation.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The Kotla wicket is all the things a test wicket should not be. Yadav did not look great (140 kmph is not my aphrodisiac) but one can sympathise with the young man for the terrible terrible low bounce even in the first 15 minutes of the game. This is ridiculous. Just because India has won 8 of the last 9 tests here is no reason why Kotla should be written off as a test venue till something is done about the wicket.

It is a paradox really. Indian money will sustain the world game and indian wickets might ruin the chances of India ever becoming a truly great cricketing nation.
Don't see anything wrong with the Delhi Wicket generally tbh.

It is one of the most result oriented wickets in the world in recent times. And with the Likes of Ahmedabad,Colombo,Abu Dhabi and many other wickets around the world around blaming it is ridiculous.

Also don't buy the argument one bit that high and extra bounce with swing and seam movement is good for cricket, but Low bounce or Spin is bad. Teams need to learn to deal with it. Also they usually put grass on the Kotla wicket and scatter it a little bit to get some extra bounce, but i think because of the recent ban they haven't this time because it can then cause uneven bounce and the teams and the ICC will moan about it.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Brathwaite was proper owned there but he seemed like he already decided that for the rest of the over he would plant the front foot and just bunt the ball nowhere. Maybe he was tired or something.

Windies will be lucky to make 300 here and going by how gun barrel Yadev is, it will be tough for their quicks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brathwaite was proper owned there but he seemed like he already decided that for the rest of the over he would plant the front foot and just bunt the ball nowhere. Maybe he was tired or something.

Windies will be lucky to make 300 here and going by how gun barrel Yadev is, it will be tough for their quicks.
Smart bit of work by Dhoni, but from the front-on camera it looked as if Braithwaite had edged it anyway.

Ironically not convinced Samuels did edge that one tho.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chanders last five balls - 0, 4, 2, 3, 5. Just needs to get a 6 and 1 off the next two!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Chanders last five balls - 0, 4, 2, 3, 5. Just needs to get a 6 and 1 off the next two!
0, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1, break Gambhir's arm.

Less satisfying than a six, but probably helps the Windies just as much.

Last edited: