• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Aussie full time selector announced in one hour.....

howardj

International Coach
but really. given all the talent managers and that sort of stuff we have nowadays I don't really see what benefit a test history is for the selectors? I mean obviously it's nice, but you know a history of teaching or something like that is probably more use. presumably the 'youth talent managers' are reporting to the selectors about the young kids going about and their technical flaws and what not and so are other people. the selectors are just gathering 'round and picking a team based on reports, statistics and that sort of stuff. More fact based than opinion essentially. So you need people a) willing to accept and make judgements based on facts b) able to actually communicate.

but maybe i'm going down the wrong line here.
More relevant is: Have you done the job before? Were you good? Are you a current applicant? Very hard to look past someone who ticks those three boxes (THohns). You really have to be an exceptional candidate to dislodge someone who ticks those three boxes. Is Inverarity that?

Too much of a 'stab in the dark' with the Howard, Inverarity appointments.

CA, again, trying to be too clever.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Funnily enough, I met him when I was on year seven as at that time he was the Headmaster of the high school I eventually would go to. He retired the next year, but he was incredibly highly rated by pretty much everyone as a bloke and worked with Warwickshire with success as well I think.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah for sure. Not meaning to talk in extremes by portraying the guy as a dill. Likely a quality candidate. Just that, in my view, someone like Hohns is a proven commodity who also threw his hat in the ring.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When did Hohns do the job? Because if it's in the roughly 1997-2007, the monkey in benchy's avatar could have done a good job in that era.

howardj

International Coach
When did Hohns do the job? Because if it's in the roughly 1997-2007, the monkey in benchy's avatar could have done a good job in that era.
Dead wrong mate.

It's not just about selecting the greats, but knowing when to call time on them.

Hohns did that.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha this,

I wish that Tugga or Tubby would get in amongst it, surely if they put their hands up they would be straight in there. If they won't do it then this is a good pick, he has a good record in captaincy and in coaching - even if not at test level.
Surely Tubby earns more on tv than he would as a selector so that is a no go. Sadly for Australia.

Howe_zat

Audio File
howardj, I don't think you've played enough international cricket to know what you're talking about, so I disagree.

Spikey

howardj, I don't think you've played enough international cricket to know what you're talking about, so I disagree.
yeeeeees

really selecting teams is for the most part simple. As GingerFurball alludes all picking former test greats and even former selectors does is heighten the chance of rational behaviour not happening. Said it before but I'm confident a panel of Prince EWS, Spark, vic_oxthdox and I (:cool:) would be just as good or even better than whatever panel happens and Spark, PEWS and I have never left our rooms while vic_orthdox is a left arm spinner.

Btw on a related note Eddie Cowan was on the drum plugging his book and compared the Tassie selection system which is a 3 men system including Bailey and the NSW system which is more along the lines of how the old national panel was and pretty much said the Tassie pissed all over the NSW/Aus system which led to a us vs them mentally. so i guess good news for the future. although he was hardly gonna slag tassie off I guess.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Ed Cowan would obviously support a process that will give him FC cricket over one that would leave him in Grade where his talents are more suited to the level of competition.

Top_Cat

Love this appointment. Met him a few times years ago and couldn't help but be impressed, tbh. Inverarity is a winner and a model citizen in everything he does. Got a bit unlucky with regards Test selection and it passed him by as he just wasn't the sort of player they were looking for at the time, not quite good enough with bat or ball alone. But he just kept on winning with WA, moved here and helped SA to a Shield win with a team full of grade nobodies (Jeff Crowe and Hookesy aside) who'd been at the bottom of the table the year before.

One thing big in Invers' favour is that he knows how to bridge the gap with big egos, tends to be the glue for any team (if he can work with Hookesy, he can work with anyone). I know Tim May loves him, being old Kensington boys, so he'll already be onside with the playing body. He was capable of making tough decisions if needed but was brilliant at articulating how, why and what they needed to do to get back in to the player(s) concerned so they they were rarely left bitter about it.

EDIT: In the context of the current team, I would assume that Invers' focus will be on getting the most out of the guys selected rather than pulling any triggers.

Last edited:

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
I'm fairly surprised by this. I guess one of the major weaknesses of the previous panel was that the members were all batsmen from a closish era. This provides some variety - something necessary. Bichel's appointment to me is a major surprise - yet again, if you wanted a fast bowling option, he brings a fresh view and seems an intelligent man. Time will tell. Marsh, well I'm undecided on him as well but he doesn't come as much of a surprise. With Inverarity as an allrounder who bowled spin, Bichel a pace bowler, Clarke a batsman and Marsh a keeper - there's enough variety in era and role, so I guess they've aimed for that.

howardj

International Coach
Good appointments

Though, as I've said all along, I really don't think you need five selectors.

Three man panel is much preferable

(cue gingerfurball to jump in and have a rant why five is better than three)