• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Aussie full time selector announced in one hour.....

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
these ****s are gonna be so mad when greg mail gets a part time selector role.

but really, this desire - almost obsession - for test experience and plenty of it is just beyond me. surely it's just about on the bottom of the list for all things a selector needs. Communication and the ability to you know use common sense being the top. i mean i'm pretty confident i could do a better job as a selector than andrew symonds......
It's great that they've chosen someone who isn't a rent-a-quote as said above. He's got a good brain and won't be talking the embarrassing crap that someone like Hilditch came out with continuously.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's great that they've chosen someone who isn't a rent-a-quote as said above. He's got a good brain and won't be talking the embarrassing crap that someone like Hilditch came out with continuously.
Given how Hilditch batted in his career, is anyone surprised?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I like the decision. Inverarity has a very good reputation as a wise decision maker. He has been removed from the Australian game long enough to not hold any alliances (or grudges) that assists in ensuring only unbiased selections are made.

flibbertyjibber

Surely a good thing as he is a long way removed from the old regime. It may not work but at least it is a break from the clique that so upset the Aussie fans.

adub

International Captain

but really, this desire - almost obsession - for test experience and plenty of it is just beyond me. surely it's just about on the bottom of the list for all things a selector needs. Communication and the ability to you know use common sense being the top. i mean i'm pretty confident i could do a better job as a selector than andrew symonds......
Certainly I don't think anyone would be looking at someone like Andrew Symonds as someone you want holding players careers in their hands, but equally if I were a guy with over 50 tests under my belt (or 150 in Punter's case) I reckon it would be pretty hard to cop some nuffy who never really made it calling time on my career. It's just about having the credibility to make these sorts of calls. If someone like AB, Tubby or Tugga says that's it mate, well that's a very different kettle of fish to someone who jagged a couple of tests 40 years ago no matter how worthy his FC career was. Even guys a step below those three will have the credibility and be closer to the current game. Lawson, Jones, Junior etc would have this cred with current players.

I wish John well and hope he is a huge improvement on Hilditch, but I'm not jumping for joy about the selection either. I'll wait and see.

uvelocity

International Coach
looking forward to the robelinda John Inverarity dismissals video tbh
haha this,

I wish that Tugga or Tubby would get in amongst it, surely if they put their hands up they would be straight in there. If they won't do it then this is a good pick, he has a good record in captaincy and in coaching - even if not at test level.

howardj

International Coach

Not so much that, as the fact that he's been a long time removed from the game.

I also concur with the point Adub made.

Spikey

well he's not. he's less than a decade out of the game. he's no less out of the game than all the other 'names' people were putting forward.

and obviously i just completely disagree with having to play a lot of tests to make calls on other cricketers. i mean first off history shows many of our most well known and respected selectors played **** all test cricket. Hohns, Benuad, Sawle. If ricky ponting gets all 'you're a nobody you can't sack me' that says more about him.....a thread about what makes a good selector would be interesting. Communication, brains, common sense, knowledge about the game would all be there. I'm not sure about being a test legend....You don't become a cricket genius just because you're lucky enough to play 60 tests. I mean Greg Chappell......

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Yeah look I agree in part. Names like Hohns, Benaud and Sawle do show it can be done. So I'm not saying Invers will be a failure, just that with the professionalism of the game and the fact you could be telling a guy who was on a $million a year that he'd now unemployed that every little bit of cred is valuable.

I do believe that the step up from FC to Test level is huge and so if you haven't actually lived it for a long time it would be hard to appreciate (but then what would I know eh?) so having that experience would be very valuable. But in the end the selectors job is to put a winning team on the paddock so all the qualities you've mentioned are front and centre. So long as the team is winning and a credible group of replacements are available then the selectors will look like geniuses. I'd just like to add a couple more qualities and experience if possible.

howardj

International Coach
Well, I guess me wanting Hohns reinstalled in the job shows that you don't need to have been a great player or played that many Tests to be a decent selector. My rationale for wanting Hohns there though was a proven track record. He's done the job in the past, and most believe he did it well. Now, Invers may do a sterling job, but someone with a good track record in that actual role who is still involved in the game would in my view be a far safer pair of hands.

howardj

International Coach
And that was my rationale for wanting somebody like Rod Marsh installed instead of Pat Howard. Yes, Howard may do a great job, but guys like Marsh have proven track records in that sort of co-ordinating/overseeing role.

uvelocity

International Coach
.....a thread about what makes a good selector would be interesting. Communication, brains, common sense, knowledge about the game would all be there. I'm not sure about being a test legend....You don't become a cricket genius just because you're lucky enough to play 60 tests. I mean Greg Chappell......
start a thread or STFU.

100+ tests is my #1 requirement ftr.

sorry to be an arse

Spikey

but really. given all the talent managers and that sort of stuff we have nowadays I don't really see what benefit a test history is for the selectors? I mean obviously it's nice, but you know a history of teaching or something like that is probably more use. presumably the 'youth talent managers' are reporting to the selectors about the young kids going about and their technical flaws and what not and so are other people. the selectors are just gathering 'round and picking a team based on reports, statistics and that sort of stuff. More fact based than opinion essentially. So you need people a) willing to accept and make judgements based on facts b) able to actually communicate.

but maybe i'm going down the wrong line here.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
So long as the team is winning and a credible group of replacements are available then the selectors will look like geniuses. I'd just like to add a couple more qualities and experience if possible.
He might place a bit more value on performances in our state comps than anyone else who has been selecting seems to.

He's had a lot of experience at man-management, you can't be a principal of a good quality school or a county coach or a skipper without learning that.

But no-one can magic up the cattle if they aren't there. If Hilditch hadn't been such a bull**** artist in the press, I would have felt sorry for him on that count.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Certainly I don't think anyone would be looking at someone like Andrew Symonds as someone you want holding players careers in their hands, but equally if I were a guy with over 50 tests under my belt (or 150 in Punter's case) I reckon it would be pretty hard to cop some nuffy who never really made it calling time on my career. It's just about having the credibility to make these sorts of calls. If someone like AB, Tubby or Tugga says that's it mate, well that's a very different kettle of fish to someone who jagged a couple of tests 40 years ago no matter how worthy his FC career was. Even guys a step below those three will have the credibility and be closer to the current game. Lawson, Jones, Junior etc would have this cred with current players.

I wish John well and hope he is a huge improvement on Hilditch, but I'm not jumping for joy about the selection either. I'll wait and see.
Haha, worst attitude.