• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Doubts about the Windies hosting WC 2007?

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
The West Indies would maybe not host the World Cup due to substandard facilities and doubts that it would be recifed in time for 2007.

Australia looks set to host the 2007 World Cup should the ICC decide that the West Indies are not fit to host. If that happens, then at least we will know that Australia would have very good facilities and would be great hosts who would put on a great World Cup.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst I'm sure that Australia would provide an ideal backup for WC2007, it would be a tragedy for sport in the West Indies.

As much assistance and encouragement as possible should be given to the West Indies to enable them to put their house in order. Remember that plans are afoot to stage matches in the USA too - and that is a massive potential market for the game.

It's my guess that this is the purpose of the meeting to give them a 'gee-up' and to determine whether any of the problems are insurmountable - there is no way that any decision should be taken at this moment in time, yet of course contingency plans should be made.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Although i am aussi, and would love to see the tournament over here, there is no denying that this would be a sad day for west indian cricket. hopefully this is sorted soon.:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would be thrilled if our hosting of the WC were postponed 4 years or so. I'll be off at University in 2007 doing the 2nd year of my degree, so I would be ****ed at missing it, as I have never seen a WC game (no game involving a non-West Indian team for that matter).

If it is post-poned, I should have the time and assets to make a full trip out of it when I return to the West Indies.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm an Aussie, and I'll be really ****ed off if the World Cup is not held in the West Indies. I finish my degree in 2006 (assuming I don't fail too many subjects) and was planning a big trip to the West Indies to watch my two favourite teams - Australia & the West Indies. If the World Cup is held in Australia I will have to settle for trying to fit games around work (assuming I get a job).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
More reasons why the WICB are a bunch of incompetent fools.
That is a ridiculous comment with no basis! How are they incompetent fools? They simply can't find the funds at the moment. That's the way it's been for decades in WI cricket - ever since it started. We are a group of 3rd world countries and money doesn't come easily.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Although I am Australian & I would love few things better than to see a world cup out here , I dont really know how the WICB would recover from such a huge blow:(

As well as the financial losses it would suffer waiting until 2011 there is also the sheer embarasment factor of being stripped of such a high profile event.

No doubts Australia would make great hosts if it comes to that but West Indies cricket needs it more , for the money if nothing else.

Craig , I reckon the WICB do a decent job considering their resources , if its a bunch of incompetant fools you're after look no further than the Pakistani board:lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C'mon, you guys - Craig seems to have got the idea - Cricket Boards are only there to be criticised by high-powered correspondants!:D
It really is ridiculous the way Cricket Boards rarely get anything but public criticism. Too much blaming of the players gets tiresome, I suppose, and tabloid journos are usually better acquainted with the players than the bosses.
Personally I think Lord MacLaurin did a fantastic job in his time at The ECB and I think Tim Lamb and John Carr do fifty times as good a job as anyone ever gives them credit for.
The Pakistan Board are a bunch of strangeos sometimes, though, TBH. Pakistan Cricket's near-perminant turbulence is often caused by internal politics.
I can't really comment on The ACB\CA, UCBSA, BCCSL or NZC so far as their native correspondants are concerned, but they've been criticsed in some quarters over here, too. As for The BCCI and ZCU, well...

Craig

World Traveller
Ok, calling the WICB imcopentent fools was a tad harsh and I should watch what I say as it could be deemed as slander.

But if anybody here in there wisdom explain to me what is the logic in going for a tournament or the ICC handing the West Indies a major world tournament when they know that the WICB may not have the money, does confuse me.

The WICB have known that they will host the WC since 1999 (I am not sure), and yet it is 2003 and four years out, they may lose the thing. Somebody isnt doing their job.

They have had plenty of notice of getting it right.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The WICB have lost millions in revenue over the past 3-5 years. This is due to a distinct drop in cricket spectators. The ticket sales have been very poor and, in general people are being distracted away from cricket by other ****** such as football and basketball.

I remember when I went to the Queen's Park Oval for the 2nd Test v Australia (where Lara scored 90odd and 100odd - his first on T&T soil :D) and it was like North West Australia! It was a sea of green and gold. The world-renowned Trini Posse stand was swarmed with Aussies. I for one was very much ashamed and disappointed.