Thread: Doubts about the Windies hosting WC 2007?

Doubts about the Windies hosting WC 2007?

I just saw an article in Cricinfo on this.....

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/C...29OCT2003.html
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

The West Indies would maybe not host the World Cup due to substandard facilities and doubts that it would be recifed in time for 2007.

Australia looks set to host the 2007 World Cup should the ICC decide that the West Indies are not fit to host. If that happens, then at least we will know that Australia would have very good facilities and would be great hosts who would put on a great World Cup.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Whilst I'm sure that Australia would provide an ideal backup for WC2007, it would be a tragedy for sport in the West Indies.

As much assistance and encouragement as possible should be given to the West Indies to enable them to put their house in order. Remember that plans are afoot to stage matches in the USA too - and that is a massive potential market for the game.

It's my guess that this is the purpose of the meeting to give them a 'gee-up' and to determine whether any of the problems are insurmountable - there is no way that any decision should be taken at this moment in time, yet of course contingency plans should be made.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Vice-Captain
    Although i am aussi, and would love to see the tournament over here, there is no denying that this would be a sad day for west indian cricket. hopefully this is sorted soon.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I would be thrilled if our hosting of the WC were postponed 4 years or so. I'll be off at University in 2007 doing the 2nd year of my degree, so I would be ****ed at missing it, as I have never seen a WC game (no game involving a non-West Indian team for that matter).

If it is post-poned, I should have the time and assets to make a full trip out of it when I return to the West Indies.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I'm an Aussie, and I'll be really ****ed off if the World Cup is not held in the West Indies. I finish my degree in 2006 (assuming I don't fail too many subjects) and was planning a big trip to the West Indies to watch my two favourite teams - Australia & the West Indies. If the World Cup is held in Australia I will have to settle for trying to fit games around work (assuming I get a job).
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

More reasons why the WICB are a bunch of incompetent fools.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Originally posted by Craig
    That is a ridiculous comment with no basis! How are they incompetent fools? They simply can't find the funds at the moment. That's the way it's been for decades in WI cricket - ever since it started. We are a group of 3rd world countries and money doesn't come easily.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Although I am Australian & I would love few things better than to see a world cup out here , I dont really know how the WICB would recover from such a huge blow

As well as the financial losses it would suffer waiting until 2011 there is also the sheer embarasment factor of being stripped of such a high profile event.

No doubts Australia would make great hosts if it comes to that but West Indies cricket needs it more , for the money if nothing else.

Craig , I reckon the WICB do a decent job considering their resources , if its a bunch of incompetant fools you're after look no further than the Pakistani board

Originally posted by Craig
    Why?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    C'mon, you guys - Craig seems to have got the idea - Cricket Boards are only there to be criticised by high-powered correspondants!
    It really is ridiculous the way Cricket Boards rarely get anything but public criticism. Too much blaming of the players gets tiresome, I suppose, and tabloid journos are usually better acquainted with the players than the bosses.
    Personally I think Lord MacLaurin did a fantastic job in his time at The ECB and I think Tim Lamb and John Carr do fifty times as good a job as anyone ever gives them credit for.
    The Pakistan Board are a bunch of strangeos sometimes, though, TBH. Pakistan Cricket's near-perminant turbulence is often caused by internal politics.
    I can't really comment on The ACB\CA, UCBSA, BCCSL or NZC so far as their native correspondants are concerned, but they've been criticsed in some quarters over here, too. As for The BCCI and ZCU, well...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Unfortunately, the ECB hit rock bottom in WC2003 - and IMO that's where they remain.

Ok, calling the WICB imcopentent fools was a tad harsh and I should watch what I say as it could be deemed as slander.

But if anybody here in there wisdom explain to me what is the logic in going for a tournament or the ICC handing the West Indies a major world tournament when they know that the WICB may not have the money, does confuse me.

The WICB have known that they will host the WC since 1999 (I am not sure), and yet it is 2003 and four years out, they may lose the thing. Somebody isnt doing their job.

They have had plenty of notice of getting it right.

The WICB have lost millions in revenue over the past 3-5 years. This is due to a distinct drop in cricket spectators. The ticket sales have been very poor and, in general people are being distracted away from cricket by other ****** such as football and basketball.

I remember when I went to the Queen's Park Oval for the 2nd Test v Australia (where Lara scored 90odd and 100odd - his first on T&T soil ) and it was like North West Australia! It was a sea of green and gold. The world-renowned Trini Posse stand was swarmed with Aussies. I for one was very much ashamed and disappointed.

Thread Information