• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Anti-McWarne lineup

Spark

Global Moderator
Inspired in part by all the "best batsman in ________ conditions" threads. Probably been done before, but hey-yo.

Pick a top seven comprised of batsmen from any country but Australia to play the Australian bowling lineup from the early nineties up to the 2006/7 Ashes [referring to both the attack and the batsmen] at home in a five Test series at the five major grounds.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thinking of specific performances, so this is probably a bit out, but:

Michael Vaughan
Rahul Dravid
VVS Laxman
Brian Lara
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
{Wicketkeeper}
--
Harbhajan Singh
Simon Jones
Shoaib Akhtar
Curtley Ambrose

Went over to Statsguru to look for a keeper, and found that Parore and Mongia have the best records against that side, both averaging well over 40.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry, people want to pick Sehwag to face McGrath in his pomp, in Australia?

That cannot end well for the batsman.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sehwag
Anwar
Tendulkar
Lara
Pieterson
Laxman
Prior (w/k)
Harbhajan
Bishop
Ambrose
Walsh

Daemon

I pick the top 6 batsmen of all time and the best keeper-batsmen of all time (barring Australia)

Debris

International 12th Man
Sorry, people want to pick Sehwag to face McGrath in his pomp, in Australia?

That cannot end well for the batsman.
You can replace Sehwag's name with pretty much any other international batsman and that post will still apply.

Burgey

Yeah well it's either him or Vaughan and I still rate Sehwag higher than him.
There is no reason to do that if the criteria is facing those two bowlers in Australia at something near their best. Vaughan had an incredible series against them in 02-03.

By all other measures, I'd agree with you though, except maybe batting in England.

Burgey

Warne is effective but not great against India which gives them a huge boost in Australia.
Yeah I get that. But if Australia is at home, Vaughan has a proven record against those two guys over a five test series. I don't think Sehwag does.

As an anomally given his far from stellar record against India, Warne got Dravid quite a few times. Yet based on how he plays i would pick david over Sehwag for this exercise.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, Burgey is on here. We're talking a 5 Test series at home vs. McWarne attack in reasonable form (for them), not necessarily at their absolute pomp.

Daemon

Won't meet the criteria of the OP though
"Pick a top seven comprised of batsmen from any country but Australia to play the Australian bowling lineup from the early nineties up to the 2006/7 Ashes"

Thought the time period was referring exclusively to the Australian bowling lineup :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking of specific performances, so this is probably a bit out, but:

Michael Vaughan
Rahul Dravid
VVS Laxman
Brian Lara
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
{Wicketkeeper}
--
Harbhajan Singh
Simon Jones
Shoaib Akhtar
Curtley Ambrose

Went over to Statsguru to look for a keeper, and found that Parore and Mongia have the best records against that side, both averaging well over 40.
You may want to see how many hundreds Dravid has scored against Australia. Don't agree with picking him at the cost of Tendulkar.

Redbacks

International Captain
"Pick a top seven comprised of batsmen from any country but Australia to play the Australian bowling lineup from the early nineties up to the 2006/7 Ashes"

Thought the time period was referring exclusively to the Australian bowling lineup :p
Ah, I can see how the wording 'to play' is a bit ambiguous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't think SRT has such a great record against both (mean both McGrath and Warne were playing) either.. Suppose he had very few games as well. A statsguru search might be interesting.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think SRT has such a great record against both (mean both McGrath and Warne were playing) either.. Suppose he had very few games as well. A statsguru search might be interesting.
Here.

Tendulkar was actually good against them IN Australia. Only 3 matches though.

I like Howzat's list. The batsman that worried me, even against McWarne, the most during our era of dominance was easily Lara. Just by himself he could contain and attack them, to give his team a chance.