• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Great All Rounder article on Cricinfo

smash84

The Tiger King
haha....yeah, it is pretty ordinary.

The only reason that I posted this ordinaty article is that the gist of the article is true. Imran is probably the greatest all rounder to ever play the game :ph34r:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm most interested in the fact that the Sutherland boys apparently know something that the rest of the cricketing world doesn't - namely, that "Sir" Walter Hammond got himself a posthumous knighthood at some point in the past 24 hours.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
One aspect of an all-rounder or cricketer in general that is constantly over looked is slip fielding or close in fielding. One of the many things that the W.I team of the 70's-90's and the subsequent all conquering Australian teams had in common were brilliant slip fielding. Thats also a common helping hand for great bowlers such as the afore mentioned W.I bowlers, McGrath, Warne, Lillee ect. One of the most amazing things one notices about the W.I's clips from the glory days is the amzing catching from LLoyd, Richards, Richardson, Lara ect, they were almost as important as the bowlers themselves in some instances. All that being said, if you can find a player who is an exceptional batsman or bowler and is more than handy in their secondary disipline, but who also brings that added dimension in the field, who can take that match turning catch, or turn that half chance into a wicket then that only adds to their value. Thats why I rate Sobers, Hammond, Kallis, G.Chappell, Warne, Greig ect very highly and to me this gives Warne the edge over Murali and Sobers the edge over Khan, especially in All Time teams/lists ect. Even Viv whose value with the ball was much less that the others named, helped win matches both in the slips and in the out field. I also actually believe that Mark Taylor and Clive Lloyd may have been more valuable to their respective teams in the slips than as captains. I'm sure ta least Warne and Marshall and co. would agree.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
fielding is important, certainly. and that is a good point that you make. something else the article omits to mention is the ability of the all rounder to do well in both disciplines at the same time. by that standard, no one comes close to botham.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
fielding is important, certainly. and that is a good point that you make. something else the article omits to mention is the ability of the all rounder to do well in both disciplines at the same time. by that standard, no one comes close to botham.
I'm sure a certain Keith Miller does; and he was far more consistent to boot.

smash84

The Tiger King
how important is fielding though????

smash84

The Tiger King
Not too sure about that.........good captaincy in cricket > fielding I think, there are 10 other people to field as well but only 1 guy to lead. More crucial

good leadership can probably do more wonders

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not too sure about that.........good captaincy in cricket > fielding I think, there are 10 other people to field as well but only 1 guy to lead. More crucial

good leadership can probably do more wonders
No, there's only one person fielding at any given position on the field.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but you can also choose to field at fielding positions that don't require too much effort like Mid Off or Mid On (incidentally Imran's favorite fielding positions lol)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Knew there was a name I forgot.
Thanks, again one of the best 2nd slippers ever to boot.