• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace gurus speak - Issues with the modern day fast bowlers

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Bowling quick in this day and age

Excerpts:

Hadlee : We bowled and bowled and bowled. We ran. We did not use the gym as much as they do today. You have computers telling you what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong. Those tools are useful to have, but sometimes simplicity is the best way to go.

Roberts : The teachers who turn into coaches, coming in with their scientific approach to fast bowling, are causing the decline of fast bowling. They are literally changing a fast bowler's action, from using the body to using shoulders. You cannot bowl fast for long with your shoulder. I am not against the biomechanics, but bowlers are being over-coached and the coaches are coaching the wrong way.

A lot of important issues touched upon there by the great pacemen. Your thoughts, forumers?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Slightly related, I read something which said that hi-tech cushioned bowling boots are actually increasing the frequency of ankle and foot injury by weakening the various muscles and tendons due to their relative lack of use.

smash84

The Tiger King
a very interesting article I also this up on cricinfo today.

Andy Roberts had some interesting stuff to say. Also I think Clive Rice or somebody mentioned how the workload in the country circuit used to be so high even in those days

Mike5181

International Captain
There is just as many great fast bowlers from the 90s/00s as there are in any other era.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In an interview Holding once said that Marshall used to tie weights around his legs whilst doing his normal stuff throughout the day.

Debris

International 12th Man
While interesting to hear from them, I don't really think they have any special insights to offer. I would be more interested in hearing from someone trained in bio-mechanics in regards to injuries. They might have something more than an educated guess to offer.

smash84

The Tiger King
but that is what they all seem to be saying. That more bio-mechanics is actually ruining the players

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Biomechanics and physical training seems to be why the likes of Broad and Finn have gone from 135kph bowlers to 145kph bowlers. Such an effect can surely not be wholly negative.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
but that is what they all seem to be saying. That more bio-mechanics is actually ruining the players
Biomechanics and physical training seems to be why the likes of Broad and Finn have gone from 135kph bowlers to 145kph bowlers. Such an effect can surely not be wholly negative.
I think the key is finding the right balance. That's what the greats mention in the article too.

Debris

International 12th Man
I think the key is finding the right balance. That's what the greats mention in the article too.
I can't really see an issue of balance. There is no real downside to understanding how stresses affect the body and studying to find out what makes a bowling action effective. You do get the occasional case where a bowler changes his action for health reasons and it makes him less effective, I guess.

The real problem, I suspect, is that it is all applied rather half-heartedly at the moment. Sports like running and swimming show the real benefits of bio-mechanics applied properly.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Interesting thing was the lack of coaching input, at least in the early stages for these guys. Any sort of coaching intervention was more refinement over remodeling.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One problem could be that certain players aren't equipped with this knowledge themselves, and when unsupervised could go about training in wrong ways. Either that or at a junior level, coaches only have a superficial knowledge of how certain things work and simply apply it without taking other factors into consideration.

Vague post, but you get the idea.

Xuhaib

International Coach
One problem could be that certain players aren't equipped with this knowledge themselves, and when unsupervised could go about training in wrong ways. Either that or at a junior level, coaches only have a superficial knowledge of how certain things work and simply apply it without taking other factors into consideration.

Vague post, but you get the idea.
Aaqib Javed Syndrome.

The guy was was given some typically talented Pakistani bowlers to work with he got them involved in this bio mechanics mumbo jumbo got them to change their natural actions and some very talented bowlers like Anwar Ali and Muhammad Irshad turned in to a shell of their former self, I think only when Waqar got involved in the setup did he strictly laid it out that their will be no radical changes to bowlers natural bowling styles

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The real problem, I suspect, is that it is all applied rather half-heartedly at the moment. Sports like running and swimming show the real benefits of bio-mechanics applied properly.
"incompetently" would be the world you're looking for there. I'd take a guess that many of the cricket biomechanics "experts" don't really know what they're doing. Not all, but certainly many.