• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace gurus speak - Issues with the modern day fast bowlers

intcricket

U19 12th Man
To be fair when you look at someone like Mitch I think he's taken the other part out.
Haha.

I remember him from his intial burst onto the scene, andyc. The Champions Trophy of 2006 that featured him in the Australian outfit was the first time we Indians got a real look at him. He seemed to be a great find for Australia. Somewhere, he just lost his way and The Ashes in England followed by his subsequent Mom issues meant that he lost control of himself.

How do you guys rate his chances of bouncing back to the 2008-2009 level?

Satguru

Banned
or maybe we're just in a period where there just aren't that many great fast bowlers?
Nah, with the rise of steyn and anderson, i think we can safely say now that fast bowling is well and truly back ... every era has 2-3 ATG bowlers leading the pack, with a number of others a rung below
Steyn is a nailed-on ATG already imo, and anderson is getting there quickly too.
Broad can be brilliant if he builds on his recent form, Zaheer can be unplayable if he's fit (lazy ****). Plenty of other decent fast bowlers out there too.
Seriously, its not as bad as people are making it out to be

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, with the rise of steyn and anderson, i think we can safely say now that fast bowling is well and truly back ... every era has 2-3 ATG bowlers leading the pack, with a number of others a rung below
Steyn is a nailed-on ATG already imo, and anderson is getting there quickly too.
Broad can be brilliant if he builds on his recent form, Zaheer can be unplayable if he's fit (lazy ****). Plenty of other decent fast bowlers out there too.
Seriously, its not as bad as people are making it out to be
:wacko:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I mean the way anderson is going, he'll get to the rung-below-ATG level
Yes, if he keeps on doing what he is doing for 3 more years and does well in SC and there isn't a resurgence of many great fast bowlers together around the world in the mean time then he will end up having earned the credibility to be considered close to a rung below ATG level :sleep:

Mike5181

International Captain
definitely a step down from the 80s and 90s
Players that played a significant amount of their careers in the 00s:

McGrath, Steyn, Pollock, Bond, Ahktar, Asif, Amir, Clark, Gillespie etc. Then there is the arguably great ODI bowlers like Lee, Flintoff, Bracken.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't diminish the fact that they were quality bowlers and were products of the modern day system.
Quality pace bowlers with tiny longevity weren't hyped up as much in the 80s and the 90s...

Batsmen didn't have nightmares of a Fanie De Villiers or a Sylvester Clarke running in...they had other nightmares to deal with...

smash84

The Tiger King
It doesn't diminish the fact that they were quality bowlers and were products of the modern day system.
yeah but it does show the fact that modern day bowlers wont be on the ball park 99% of the times and hence the batsmen can sit back and relax

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes, if he keeps on doing what he is doing for 3 more years and does well in SC and there isn't a resurgence of many great fast bowlers together around the world in the mean time then he will end up having earned the credibility to be considered close to a rung below ATG level :sleep:
Ah that old chestnut.

And by "chestnut" I mean "steaming pile of ****."