• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Non-Subcontinental Player of Spin Bowling (Post 1990)

Best Player of Spin Bowling (Non-subcontinental)

• Damien Martyn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Hussey

• Michael Clarke

• AB de Villiers

• Carl Hooper

• Shiv Chanderpaul

• Kevin Pietersen

• Graham Thorpe

• Hashim Amla

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
I swear I've seen this topic/poll three times already...

Lara obvs. After that it gets more interesting.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among those I've seen live, Lara >>> Kallis, Andy, Steve, Gooch, Amla, Thorpe, Border, Hussey etc.

Among those I haven't seen live, Lloyd and Ian Chappell are fair shouts.

And I'm quite certain that all of Bradman, Sobers, Headley and Hobbs were at least as good as Lara.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Obviously didn't have a super long career, but Boof Lehmann was pretty close to as good against spin as any contemporary Australian.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Andy Flower is the best non-SC player of spin I have ever seen. He is literally the only batsman from outside India who 'conquered' spin, amongst those I have watched. Sure, others did very well, and had huge averages.

But he was the only one who had a huge average but more importantly, never even looked like getting out. Sure, many other players have kept the good balls out, but the difference was when Andy Flower was batting, there was no such thing as a good ball.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
As good as they were I don't think they would have been quite up to scratch several decades after their retirement :p
oops. should have seen the post 1990 bit! though am sure sobers wouldn't have been chump even in 1991!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis, Lara and Flower have to be in the top 5.

Amazing how someone like KP can play Warne and Murali brilliantly yet struggle against part time slow left arm dobbers that hardly turn it. For that reason he is way down the list.

As for the rest, Gooch was pretty good as was Thorpe. No other English player stands out, Prior probably best of current bunch.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Kallis, Lara and Flower have to be in the top 5.

Amazing how someone like KP can play Warne and Murali brilliantly yet struggle against part time slow left arm dobbers that hardly turn it. For that reason he is way down the list.

As for the rest, Gooch was pretty good as was Thorpe. No other English player stands out, Prior probably best of current bunch.
the difference between kp and the other 3 is that those guys were rarely, if ever, made to a look like arses by warne or murali, while kp, despite the times when he dominated them, was made to look a right arse on occasion.

Last edited: