• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best batsman in sub-continental conditions ever?

Who is the best batsman in sub-continental conditions ever?

• Mahela Jayawardene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mohammad Yousuf

• Allan Border

• Mohammad Azharuddin

• Sunil Gavaskar

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before i clicked the link i'd have said Sangakkara, amazed to see Kallis so high considering the perceived weakness of Saffer bats against spin. Maybe he deserves to be called the best as he is batting in alien conditions compared to the rest of the list?

Sehwag and Sachin were always going to be high on the list. Perhaps the biggest surprise is Samaraweera, he is helped by notouts though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
That's a very very good shout, given that he averages above 60 for over 20 years now (and has made over 9000 runs in the sub-continent! - that stat has weight!)...and has faced all great spinners like Muralitharan, Warne, Saqlain extensively in the subcontinent. I voted for him.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Better would be to compare SC / non-SC ratio, and Sehwag, Samarweera and Jayawardane would have topped the list.

SRT, Sanga and Kallis anyway has good averages both on SC and away from SC.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never seen anyone play better in the Sub Continent than how Matthew Hayden played in India in 2001.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In fact, Kallis, Tendulkar and Gavaskar are probably the only 3 who average above 50 both in and outside the subcontinent over substantial no. of matches.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Never seen anyone play better in the Sub Continent than how Matthew Hayden played in India in 2001.
The other player from outside the subcontinent who I've heard Indian fans rave about is Andy Flower around the turn of the century, went on a run scoring spree when Zimbos had a moderate degree of success against India (drawn series??).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
In fact, Kallis, Tendulkar and Gavaskar are probably the only 3 who average above 50 both in and outside the subcontinent over substantial no. of matches.
Dravid?

He averages 50.72 in the SC, even though his away record is actually better.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The other player from outside the subcontinent who I've heard Indian fans rave about is Andy Flower around the turn of the century, went on a run scoring spree when Zimbos had a moderate degree of success against India (drawn series??).
Yeah, he was awesome in that series.

Amla was excellent the last time SA toured too, and can recall Chanderpaul,Jimmy Adams and Younis Khan each having a excellent series here also.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Aren't we always being told that subcontinent pitches aren't uniform and that we can't just lump them all together?