• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England the new bad boys in cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esashank

Cricket Spectator
Until recently, the Aussies were looked upon as arrogant pricks. But, that was a time when they used to rule cricket. Now they seem more mellowed down and maybe even meek.

England seems to have picked up where they've left off and they're more fun to watch as they're no where as good as Australia was.

Anyway - which current team according to you is the most aggressive (in terms of on-field behavior) ??

My vote is for England.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
nothing bad in being aggressive though...in terms of being bad on the field, well, no matter how hard england tries, it would be really difficult to beat the aussies...

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. Stop whining about sledging and play fire with fire. don't be whimps and call others bad boys.

ganeshran

International Debutant
India have never been an over aggressive side on the field. Apart from occasional words from players who were caught up in the moment, it has never been used as a strategy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have never been an over aggressive side on the field. Apart from occasional words from players who were caught up in the moment, it has never been used as a strategy.
Not really. Don't you remember the 2003 WC final?

I do. No matter how wel Zaheer bowls int eh rest of his career, he will always be an utter chump for sledging Hayden and Gilchrist at the start of that game, while his feilders kept retrieving the ball from the boundary/ grandstands.

Comedy gold.

Mike5181

International Captain
The likes of Cook, Bell, Broad, Anderson etc aren't intimidating enough to be seen in that light tbh.

esashank

Cricket Spectator
I think the Indians are more the give it back type rather than the ones to start something. And up until now at least - senior personalities like Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble etc. all managed to control young tempers. The occasional outburst like the 2003 WC final do happen - most probably must have been a misguided suggestion from Ganguly. Even Dhoni I think is encouraging some lip nowadays but he generally is one of the quieter keepers.

England seems more ready to have a go at the opposition. They had the sway in England so no one noticed too much but when they're down like now in India - it just makes them look sour. They should emulate Australia by becoming virtually unbeatable first and then turn on the attitude.

Daemon

OT, but I can recall Raina lose his stumps twice to an ugly slog after being sledged

DriveClub

International Regular
Why is it that it's the Indians who always make a big deal about a non issue in sports - sledging? English players are hardly intimidating to be taken seriously.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Indians are more the give it back type rather than the ones to start something. And up until now at least - senior personalities like Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble etc. all managed to control young tempers. The occasional outburst like the 2003 WC final do happen - most probably must have been a misguided suggestion from Ganguly. Even Dhoni I think is encouraging some lip nowadays but he generally is one of the quieter keepers.

England seems more ready to have a go at the opposition. They had the sway in England so no one noticed too much but when they're down like now in India - it just makes them look sour. They should emulate Australia by becoming virtually unbeatable first and then turn on the attitude.
Yeah Ganguly was just a misunderstood chap

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India are a mixed bag. Most of the older generation were pretty gentlemen like - Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble, Srinath etc are a lot of gentlemen in one side, no matter what the haters want to believe :dry: But some of the newer folks are more vocal and few of them really hatable - Sreesanth and Kohli the most hatable of the lot.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why is it that it's the Indians who always make a big deal about a non issue in sports - sledging? English players are hardly intimidating to be taken seriously.
Funny. You haven't been here long enough. Just check the India-England series threads, and the amount of cribbing about Dhoni's comment on England players having a go at each other. Quite ironic that Indian media and fans were criticized for reacting to Vaughan's comments? Double standards much?

I don't mind all that cribbing about Dhoni's comments etc, I do mind when any complaints from Indian fans are viewed as hypersensitivity or lack of sense of humour, when in reality reaction of any team's supporters have been exactly identical to any snide remarks or pot shots.

And 'Indians' are a large diverse set, you realize?

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Vaughan is an obvious troll now. Thought that was obvious
That's not the point. The point is the blatant hypocrisy in proclaiming that Indian fans are over-sensitive, when the reaction from other posters on here are exactly the same, be it reaction to Dhoni's comments or to Turbi's swipe at England cricketers for their performance in the current series.

flibbertyjibber

So what is this then, pick on every little thing you can about the best test team as you can't beat them on the field?

Jealousy is so funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.