• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Swann

ganeshran

International Debutant
Both can stake claim to be the best off spinner in the world now. Who do you guys reckon is better

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm.

Looks like troll bait to me.

Anyway, even if one suspects Swann is a bit overrated, at least his action is beyond reproach.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Troll bait? Why is that

If comparison threads are not allowed, mods please delete it. My intention is not to to troll.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This thread is set to get very ugly very quickly.

Still won't get as as ugly as Ajmal's bowling, though.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
This thread is set to get very ugly very quickly.

Still won't get as as ugly as Ajmal's bowling, though.
Why do you think it will get ugly? Most people think Swann is the best in the world plus Ajmal has only really done well against minnows and yes he is a chucker.

ganeshran

International Debutant
In tests Swann has really done well against quality sides. In ODIs Ajmal is very good. Also he has the doosra which Swann hasnt managed to develop yet

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Having a doosra doesn't mean that someone's a better bowler, otherwise Alex Loudon might've been famous enough to keep Pippa Middleton.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Having a doosra doesn't mean that someone's a better bowler, otherwise Alex Loudon might've been famous enough to keep Pippa Middleton.
It didnt say Doosra makes him better than Swann. but it is still a potent tool in a bowler's arsenal.

Ajmal throws the doosra every other ball. Batsmen will soon start to pick it up.
ya he does overbowl it a lot. It should be more like an occasional delivery to surprise the batsman.

Redbacks

International Captain
So now it's the poms turn to have each of their players constantly compared with others from a weaker side.

Those were the days :sadwalk:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Two of my favourite characters in the game. Probably not too dissimilar in quality, but Swann has the edge for at least pretending to keep his bowling arm straightish.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't wish to move this thread into a debate over whether Ajmal chucks it or not, he's allowed to bowl in international cricket, and he can still use his doosra, so I'm going to judge this face-off on all things being level in that respect.

I like Ajmal, he's not a defensive off-spinner, and with his ability to turn the ball away from the bat it no doubt increases his threat immeasurably. Like Swann he doesn't necessarily need the pitch to assist him in a big way to have an impact, he's patient, has good variations off the deck and through the air, and has to be considered one of the best around, but at 34 he's unlikely to have enough time to get to the very top.

Currently, for me Swann is still ahead of Ajmal, a Test series in India for Swann still remains a big test for the new and improved Swann, but even the great Shane Warne didn't conquer the opposition there, and it is not the be all and end all, but a good series for him in India will confirm his ranking as the very best.

When Swann isn't taking wickets he's still keeping things economical and working to an alternative plan. His line is generally attacking outisde the off stump, and he too can beat the bat on the outside without having the use of the doosra. Am hoping to see Swann return to his absolute threatening best when we come across Pakistan at the start of next year.

smash84

The Tiger King
Assuming it is test matches...........

Swann by a country mile. It is not even close. I am not even bringing the chucking angle into it because it is irrelevant. He is allowed to bowl according to the laws of cricket so be it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann easily. But having said that Ajmal never had opportunities as Swann due to selection blunders. If Ajmal had an opportunity five years earlier, would have been as good as Swann.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Feel Ajmal is being underrated here.

Swann i would rate ahead of him right now, but Ajmal is a pretty tricky spinner who can trouble even the best with his variations.

Chucking or not doesn't really matter as long as he is allowed to bowl.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ajmal can make guys look really silly early, but when a guy gets in against him he doesn't have the plan B and C that Swann has.