• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Swann

Xuhaib

International Coach
Imo Ajmal is slightly ahead of Swann for odi's. Tests atm Swann is clearly the superior bowler.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Ya with Pakistan on a rise and England not so comfortable in SC conditions, the upcoming series promises to be a treat.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Pakistani batting will be clueless against Swann with the exception of YK who is a good player of spin. The flip side is that in ODIs with Afridi, Malik, Ajmal and Hafeez, Pakistan can exploit a slow turner to the hilt much more than England can

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Pakistani batting will be clueless against Swann with the exception of YK who is a good player of spin. The flip side is that in ODIs with Afridi, Malik, Ajmal and Hafeez, Pakistan can exploit a slow turner to the hilt much more than England can
I don't doubt swans ability to do damage, but I also don't think he will be leave the pak batsmen "clueless", his wickets are more likely to come through disciplined bowling and pressure, than trickery.

Also it's nice a little sub plot/contest, should be good to watch, I would say swann is ahead at the moment, but that's based on reputation more than ability, not sure who the better bowler is for certain.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
The other point to make is if pak batsmen do not attack and allow the opposition to dominate then they are sealing their own fate versus a decent attack.

That tactic might be sufficient for sl, but not against the better teams, if that's the approach then advantage swan, pak will be sitting ducks.

smash84

The Tiger King
The other point to make is if pak batsmen do not attack and allow the opposition to dominate then they are sealing their own fate versus a decent attack.

That tactic might be sufficient for sl, but not against the better teams, if that's the approach then advantage swan, pak will be sitting ducks.
But you see that is the limitation of this Pakistan team (and their strength). This is the only way they know how to play.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
But you see that is the limitation of this Pakistan team (and their strength). This is the only way they know how to play.
I think it's a self imposed linitation, but one that traditionally goes against pakistans instincts.

That's fair enough for now and I understand.

But if you want to be a team that's winning then you simply need to be able to get on top of teams with batting as well, with the way we are going we rely on our bowling to always get us into match winning positions, never the batting.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it's a self imposed linitation, but one that traditionally goes against pakistans instincts.

But if you want to be a team that's winning then you simply need to be able to get on top of teams with batting as well, with the way we are going we rely on our bowling to always get us into match winning positions, never the batting.
Agreed but this controlling of instincts is actually proving to be much much better than playing to their natural instincts. At least they have a chance of posting a decent total.

The bowling can be relied upon to take 20 wickets and they have shown that. However faced with a strong batting line-up I am not sure how the bowling will perform.

For now they seem to be playing to their strenghts that is their bowling and for the near future I dont see Pak developing a batting line up that will be very attacking and at the same time be able to put up big totals.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
England bat very very deep, I really can't see us bowling them out cheaply.

Also it's presumptuous to assume we can take 20 wickets against them, IMO, they are a lot stronger than sl.

Xuhaib

International Coach
nobody is picking 20 wickets consistently vs England if Pakistan is unable to do it its not the end of the world. If I was Pakistan I will prepare 2 flat Faisalabad style roads and then prepare a square turner and I hope I get lucky with the toss. Thats the only way we can get anything out of this this series.

smash84

The Tiger King

:huh:

I always thought you were Sri Lankan

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
funny how there is more discussion about Harbhajan v Swann then Swann v Ajmal....in this thread

Last edited: