Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajmal vs Swann

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    tbf though bowling on the roads of the UAE is pretty tough
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, we have a Test team with a pace attack good enough to leave Chris ****ing Tremlett out, and people want to add a spinner to it. Another spinner in for one of the quicks just isn't a realistic option for England at all.

I'd think about Patel (or Blackwell ) in for Morgan (or to remove my bias, I'll even pretend Morgan is James Taylor) if the pitch was going to be really unresponsive to fast bowling, but while England's 7-11 are probably all good enough to go up a place I still don't think bringing in Panesar for a batsman would really improve the team in any conditions. The batting is a bigger chance of having an off day and getting rolled than *that* bowling attack is of collectively bowling pies for an innings IMO, even on a pitch that looks flat at the toss.
    England have a series in Dubai, one in Lanka and another in India next year. Lets see how a full strength bowling attack does in those conditions.

If we can beat SL at home with a greenhorn attack and Mitchell Johnson, England should be capable of wiping the floor.

India at home is the real challenge. Frankly, the Dubai pitch is so terrible that if they win a Test there, they've done amazingly well.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Have no concerns about our bowling on flat pitches - we bowled Australia out for less than 300 at Adelaide on day 1.

There are flat pitches, then there's the Dubai pitch.

(And tbf Adelaide was greatly helped by three batsmen falling in as many overs - one without facing a ball and two to swing, nothing to do with the deck)

It'll be a major ask. They're the team I would say are most likely to pull it off, but by god it's the top of a fairly unenticing pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    There are flat pitches, then there's the Dubai pitch.

(And tbf Adelaide was greatly helped by three batsmen falling in as many overs - one without facing a ball and two to swing, nothing to do with the deck)

It'll be a major ask. They're the team I would say are most likely to pull it off, but by god it's the top of a fairly unenticing pile.
    Pakistan created plenty of chances - they were denied by **** umpiring and worse fielding.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Pakistan created plenty of chances - they were denied by **** umpiring and worse fielding.
    That's true. We'll see. What I've seen of that pitch thus far makes me want to stick a fork in my eye sockets.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    yeah but even then do not underestimate the UAE pitches dude.....they are seriously ****e. They made Dale Steyn look pedestrian last year. I can't recall Steyn ever looking so pathetic as last year in Dubai.

Agree with Spark. There are roads and then there is Dubai. This is sigworthy tbh

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Those are familiar pitches for Pakistan bowlers, not so much for the English ones. Plus they were bending their backs and giving it their all.

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    Those are familiar pitches for Pakistan bowlers, not so much for the English ones. Plus they were bending their backs and giving it their all.
    Ah, so the issue in the UAE has been that bowlers haven't been bending their back and giving their all?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Ah, so the issue in the UAE has been that bowlers haven't been bending their back and giving their all?

I didnt say that. The pitch is an absolute road and very unsuitable for test cricket.

But Pakistani bowlers did give it their all and bent their back to create the chances even on that wicket. Too bad their catching wasnt even of club level.
    Last edited by ganeshran; 24-10-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    Pakistan (or at least this team) have played a grand total of 3 Tests in the UAE.

A lack of familiarity with Australian pitches and conditions (only Anderson had previously bowled there) didn't stop us outperforming Australia.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    So what you're saying is, technology > people watching on TV?
    I know you aren't being entirely serious, but that is still mildly disingenuous. Ajmal passed a test in laboratory conditions, which proves no more than the fact that he can bowl within the tolerance limits when he knows he's being measured. I've absolutely no doubt he's over 15 degrees as often as not in actual games.

As for everyone who says it doesn't matter when spinners chuck: what the **** are you boys on? One of the most basic tenets of the sport is that the ball is bowled not thrown in deliveries. If there was no advantage in throwing bowlers wouldn't make misnomers of themselves by doing it.

Ajmal, Botha & Ashwin all mock the sport in which they make their livelihoods. I don't blame them particularly, it's up to the ICC to take a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It always amuses me when someone trots out the "play the second spinner just 'cos it's the subcontinent" argument.

Even more so when the cost of doing so is dropping one of Anderson, Broad and Bresnan. Seriously, no.
    Would say Sammy at six would be the way to go. Averages more in FC cricket than Morgan and with Prior, Broad, Bresnan & Swann to follow any potential weakening in the batting (which is arguable anyway) is offset.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 24-10-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I know you aren't being entirely serious, but that is still mildly disingenuous. Ajmal passed a test in laboratory conditions, which proves no more than the fact that he can bowl within the tolerance limits when he knows he's being measured. I've absolutely no doubt he's over 15 degrees as often as not in actual games.

As for everyone who says it doesn't matter when spinners chuck: what the **** are you boys on? One of the most basic tenets of the sport is that the ball is bowled not thrown in deliveries. If there was no advantage in throwing bowlers wouldn't make misnomers of themselves by doing it.

Ajmal, Botha & Ashwin all mock the sport in which they make their livelihoods. I don't blame them particularly, it's up to the ICC to take a stand.

Would say Sammy at six would be the way to go. Averages more in FC cricket than Morgan and with Prior, Broad, Bresnan & Swann to follow any potential weakening in the batting (which is arguable anyway) is offset.
    Ashwin chucks?

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Lol, don't question BoyBrumby when it comes to spotting the chuckers, he has a sixth sense for it.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information