• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Swann

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Spinners "chucking" is the biggest non-issue in cricket IMO. It's one of those rules that should change with time. Spinners cannot cause serious injuries to batsmen when chucking because they don't use it for extra pace, therefore it should not matter if spinners chuck. I know that's a very unorthodox view and will not find many supporters, but I stick to that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spinners "chucking" is the biggest non-issue in cricket IMO. It's one of those rules that should change with time. Spinners cannot cause serious injuries to batsmen when chucking because they don't use it for extra pace, therefore it should not matter if spinners chuck. I know that's a very unorthodox view and will not find many supporters, but I stick to that.
Off spinners can get a lot more turn by throwing.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Off spinners can get a lot more turn by throwing.
Yeah but you should be able to do anything within reason. As long as your extended elbow isn't causing the ball to spin abnormally then I fail to see why the rules are so tight on throwing where as ball tampering is used by fast bowlers everywhere and nothing is said??

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would undermine every off spinner's achievements up to date, not to mention making comparisons across eras in the future even harder :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If the rules say he can bend the arm till 15 degrees and he is using 14.5 of them, then fair game for me no matter how bad it may look on TV.

The Seamers get away in that regard easier.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Feel Ajmal is being underrated here.

Swann i would rate ahead of him right now, but Ajmal is a pretty tricky spinner who can trouble even the best with his variations.

Chucking or not doesn't really matter as long as he is allowed to bowl.
I agree. Ajmal is a very good spinner especially in ODIs. in tests he has failed to be effective and Swann is way ahead.

Chucking is irrelevant to this debate, but just to make a point, I have an issue only with the doosra - a delivery which is almost impossible to bowl legally - even with the 15 degree limit. Its always possible to bowl it correctly while testing and back to the usual on the field

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ajmal is not even Pakistan's best long format bowler.Personally feel Kaneria and Rehman should be ahead of him for test match selection.

smash84

The Tiger King
weren't you the one who were espousing Ajmal's cause when Rehman was initially picked ahead of him for the NZ tour????

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
weren't you the one who were espousing Ajmal's cause when Rehman was initially picked ahead of him for the NZ tour????
I think that was me. :p

I thought Ajmal was under-rated for quite some time, but after a couple of decent series the opposite was suddenly true. Fans be fickle, yo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the rules say he can bend the arm till 15 degrees and he is using 14.5 of them, then fair game for me no matter how bad it may look on TV.

The Seamers get away in that regard easier.
So what you're saying is, technology > people watching on TV? :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
so if I rate Rehman and Kaneria over Ajmal how does that make me a moaner?
Rehman would probably be a better fit in a team with a gun pace attack as he just keeps the pressure on so relentlessly but Pakistan need their spinner to be a real strike option at the moment so Ajmal fits much better, and I think he's a better bowler overall anyway.

The fact that Ajmal is being seriously compared to Rehman does sum up how silly the Swann comparisons are though.

Last edited:

ljinko888

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Swann imo is a lot more of a wicket taking threat than Ajmal, certainly in the longer formats of the game. Ajmal is a tricky spinner yes, but I don't think he impacts the game as much as Swann does

ganeshran

International Debutant
Swann's test will come next year against Pakistan on flat tracks and against India in the test series.