• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

30 Test hundreds

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just 8 guys to have achieved this feat this far, who do you think is likely to reach the landmark from the current generation of cricketers? Also, for the modern batsmen, would you consider it a vague landmark seperating the greats from the very good batsmen?

Jayawardene is almost certainly going to reach it soon, and Sangakarra is just 4 away. Cook would be an obvious shout as well imo.

From the less obvious ones I'd say (in order of likelihood)

Pieterson (Very confident about this one)
Amla (Only 28)
Sehwag (Because of the number of tests we'll be playing in the near future)
Graeme Smith (He's just 30)
Bell (Outside shot but he's been in immense form of late)

Pity that Chanders, Strauss and Younis will probably not make it.

From the young guys, just taking a shot in the dark:

Hughes
Williamson
Pujara
Barath

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know about it being a dividing line between the greats and the not-greats. Too arbitrary, and depends on how many Tests your team happens to play.

Cook looks pretty nailed on, I'd say; I'd be surprised if I ever come to regard him as a true great.

flibbertyjibber

For England Cook and Bell should go close. KP won't get there and Strauss will retire before he does.

Sehwag has to have a chance as long as this injury isn't too serious a problem long term.

Smith and AB de Villiers for SA maybe?

The 2 SL legends will be the next ones to get this landmark but other than those mentioned it is too difficult to say. Jimmy Taylor may be a brilliant player in waiting but until he is tested at the highest level we don't know. Williamson probably won't as NZ don't play enough tests.

Daemon

Thanks for deleting indiaregulator's post, whoever it was.

And Zaremba, surely you mean 'never'?

Daemon

For England Cook and Bell should go close. KP won't get there and Strauss will retire before he does.

Sehwag has to have a chance as long as this injury isn't too serious a problem long term.

Smith and AB de Villiers for SA maybe?

The 2 SL legends will be the next ones to get this landmark but other than those mentioned it is too difficult to say. Jimmy Taylor may be a brilliant player in waiting but until he is tested at the highest level we don't know. Williamson probably won't as NZ don't play enough tests.
Yeah that's an issue.

AB is one I missed out. KP is just a very strong hunch, he needs to play until 36 at the very least to achieve the landmark though.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't know about it being a dividing line between the greats and the not-greats. Too arbitrary, and depends on how many Tests your team happens to play.

Cook looks pretty nailed on, I'd say; I'd be surprised if I ever come to regard him as a true great.
It's not that arbitrary; anyone in the club gets to say 'I scored more tons than Bradman'.

Granted, membership of the club depends on the number of Tests a player plays but there's a lot of great players who had long careers like Border and Viv who aren't members of this particular club.

Spark

Global Moderator
KP, Cook the obvious ones from England. Bell a shot.

Clarke an outside chance for us, he's have to have a good run this summer + the 10 Test Ashes though.

ABdV a possibility but he needs to start actually putting the numbers up. Amla, probably. Smith - I suspect he's gonna go downhill fast once he gets deeper into the 30s, but we'll see.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Quite. Bradman? Hammond? Hobbs? Pollock? Headley?

Hacks, the lot of them.

Daemon

It's not that arbitrary; anyone in the club gets to say 'I scored more tons than Bradman'.

Granted, membership of the club depends on the number of Tests a player plays but there's a lot of great players who had long careers like Border and Viv who aren't members of this particular club.
Quite. Bradman? Hammond? Hobbs? Pollock? Headley?

Hacks, the lot of them.
Which is why I mentioned modern batsmen in the OP.

Howe_zat

Audio File
One of Jayawardene or Sangakkara will be the next.

Alastair Cook needs 11 more, he's 26 and he scored 10 in the last two years.

Of the young batsmen in internationals, I'd take a punt on Virat Kohli.

Edit: for what it's worth, I don't think "great" has an entry point, or should even really be considered a category.

Last edited:

Daemon

Against the windies...

138.2 kph, that is the end of Virat's debut innings, he is gone nibbling at one outside off and Baugh has gobbled up the appetiser before lunch, was some distance from Virat, not much need to play at it, but for once Virat pressed forward, and got so close to the ball that he had to play at it, and ended up getting a healthy edge through to the keeper, a happy bunch of West Indians will take lunch

136.4 kph, Soft dismissal! Short ball, aimed into the ribs, but headed down the leg side, Kohli flirts with it, and West Indies' appeal for a catch down the leg side is spontaneous. Harper agrees, and a disappointed Kohli goes back. Did he show dissent? Were there any grounds for dissent? We know not yet... Can't tell at all from these replays. As an aside, these are the incidents where DRS becomes ineffective if there is no Hot Spot. Makes no sense to have DRS without proper technology

134.5 kph, Rampaul has taken off, his team-mates rush after him, Virat has been bounced out, nothing shot, nothing at all actually, just caught on the crease shuffling across, he was probably expecting the bouncer as he was crouching a tad, instead Rampaul gets it to shoot off from back of a length and straighten as well, and before Virat could do anything, the ball had taken the glove and lobbed high to second slip

129.2 kph, Kohli's day just got worse, a loose drive away from his body, it was short of a length and outside off, perhaps should have left it alone, he decides to drive on the up instead, though Edwards has been swinging the ball away, duly gets the outside edge and its easy for second slip

122.8 kph, strangled down the leg side, the leg stump line has worked for Sammy, he is delighted, lots of jumping, lots of fist-pumping, Virat is distraught, there was a big deflection, possibly there was a bit of bat and pad both, neat take from Baugh, Virat takes an age to go back as umpire Kettleborough gives him the marching orders, flings down his equipment as he reaches the dressing room

Got out to pace every single time, though I can't recall whether he received a lot of short stuff from Edwards and co and how he coped with it.

Last edited: