• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

30 Test hundreds

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Backing Kohli to get over the Short pitch bowling problem in tests tbh. Need to see more though, as he hasn't been that troubled with that type of bowling in ODI's.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was under the impression he had your standard meh debut tour, not that he was found out by short pitched bowling. Will get back to you on this.
From memory more than one of his dismissals were off short pitched balls and Daemon's post above suggests that to be the case.

Looked to struggle against it generally too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's going to be a long time coming before another Australian reaches 30 Test tons. Michael Clarke with 15 tons to his name is realistically the next option but I somehow don't think he'll double his tally from here.

Phil Hughes is still only 22 with 3 tons from 13 games so he might get there in what the year 2023.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Strong feeling about Mathews, if;
1. Stays fit
2. Promoted up to #4

ATM he averages 46 with the bat.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think he'll get there but he can get close possibly, though I see him ending up as averaging in the mid forties with a skewed 50/100 ratio in favour of the former, mainly because of where he bats.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Has long had fitness issues. I don't think he will because of that; maybe if he gave up bowling to preserve his body (FTR, don't think he should, reckon his mediums are very important to SL, allow them to play two quicks and two spinners esp. at home).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One thing about people bemoaning a player's relative lack of Tests, I've often wondered (and commented on here) if a player would find it easy to maintain their level of performance if they were playing a lot more regularly, personally I'm not so sure they would..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it definitely works in their favour, cashing in on good form, etc.

I think one of the hardest things for guys from SL is the lack of four Test series in which they can get accustomed to their opponents over the series and get on a roll.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, look at Cook in the ashes last winter. Was in form all tour and made it pay. Had he been a SL player he may have only had 2 or 3 tests and a good tour may have been 1 ton and a 50 instead of what Cook got over 5 tests.

Daemon

Exactly. I believe when Cook ends his career we should only consider 3/4 of his actual tons when comparing with others :ph34r:

nick-o

State 12th Man
Just 8 guys to have achieved this feat this far, who do you think is likely to reach the landmark from the current generation of cricketers?

As to the question of who is most likely to be the next to make the 30 landmark, I think the answer should be Rahul Dravid, who has 29 so far when minnows are excluded.

He would be the 6th to get there, after Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Gavaskar and Lara.

Daemon

As to the question of who is most likely to be the next to make the 30 landmark, I think the answer should be Rahul Dravid, who has 29 so far when minnows are excluded.

He would be the 6th to get there, after Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Gavaskar and Lara.
I don't want to exclude minnows.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Worst logic.

nick-o

State 12th Man
I don't want to exclude minnows.
Fair enough, that's your choice; but I think the numbers are meaningless unless you exclude the minnows.

One man has a pile of 30 coins, all of them are gold. His neighbor also has a pile of coins -- 20 gold coins and 11 silver coins. The neighbor has more coins. Meh