• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Patel or any second spinner isn't needed for the tour with the matches being played in Brisbane and Hobart. I agree with straw man's XI - potentially a pretty good team.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie's probably done enough to keep his spot, and Bracewell should also stay in the team. Martin's probably past it now, but a seam attack of Southee - Bracewell - McKay/Boult has a very green look about it. Despite McKay's receding hairline.
Yeah and that's the only reason I can think of to explain sending Mills to Zimbabwe for tests. Almost as a bowling coach/mentor who might play if necessary. Don't agree with it though. Not going to write Martin off yet, though this will surely be his last season.

Have NFI what the current bowling pecking order is beyond Martin and Southee, or even what it should be. Perhaps McKay and Bracewell slightly ahead of Boult and Aldridge with Mills, O'Brien and Bennett in the background with injuries.

Flem274*

123/5
Are they even interested in Boult? They gave him a contract but that's it. I've seen him bowl, and he looks a darn sight better than some of the others who appear to be ahead of him. This is backed up by 54 @ 26 in his career, and last year he took 32 @ 25.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Are they even interested in Boult? They gave him a contract but that's it. I've seen him bowl, and he looks a darn sight better than some of the others who appear to be ahead of him. This is backed up by 54 @ 26 in his career, and last year he took 32 @ 25.
Am hoping he excels in the first couple of domestic matches. If that doesn't get him on the plane to Oz as the fifth fast bowler then you'd have to wonder why.

Bracewell would have been lower down the list than Boult but seemingly outperformed him in the Emerging Players tournament. NZ selectors LOVE the Emerging Players tournament.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Am hoping he excels in the first couple of domestic matches. If that doesn't get him on the plane to Oz as the fifth fast bowler then you'd have to wonder why.

Bracewell would have been lower down the list than Boult but seemingly outperformed him in the Emerging Players tournament. NZ selectors LOVE the Emerging Players tournament.
I think Watling kicked ass in it one year and found himself in the blackcaps. Is this correct strawman?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hrmm tried to look it up. Watling did score a century and fifty in one dayers in the 2009 Emerging Player Tournament, though there weren't any 4-dayers in that tournament. We also got pumped in that tournament. Can't remember if that led to his callup or not. Probably contributed.

I like Watling. Unfortunately he just looks incredibly vulnerable to ummm..... a lot of different types of bowling.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hrmm tried to look it up. Watling did score a century and fifty in one dayers in the 2009 Emerging Player Tournament, though there weren't any 4-dayers in that tournament. We also got pumped in that tournament. Can't remember if that led to his callup or not. Probably contributed.

I like Watling. Unfortunately he just looks incredibly vulnerable to ummm..... a lot of different types of bowling.
I have already posted that I think I agree with most of what you say. Yes when I first saw Watling I had high hopes in large part due to his defensive system. But he just seems to miss the ball a lot. At first he was flirting with the ball outside off stump. Then he fixed that. Then he was getting out lbw to full balls on middle stump. Then he fixed that. Then it was spin - and he hasn't fixed that.
new problems just seem to crop up.

Howsie

International Captain
If Adam Milne starts the season with a bang he'll be on this tour, whether that's right or wrong I don't know but I guarantee he'll be there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Adam Milne starts the season with a bang he'll be on this tour, whether that's right or wrong I don't know but I guarantee he'll be there.
Certainly 'the people' will be in favour of that. He is clearly a tremendous talent. However when he's 19 and playing only his third first class match I am against it, primarily for fitness reasons.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
From what I remember of his 20 20s he was gun barrel straight. Needs to learn how to move the ball around.

Such a character building episode that was.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, if we're going to have any chance against Aust I reckon we need to take a risk & do something a bit radical, even if it could turn out to be a face-palm

Personally, I'd drop Martin, he's never bothered Australian batsmen much albeit the odd honest performance, Instead I'd take a punt on some raw pace, namely Boult & Milne.

Martin has that mental scarring & history of always being walloped by the Aussies, almost a resignation from the start of his spell that he's expected to run-in for 2 days ; a four prong pace attack of Southee, Bracewell, Boult & Milne, with Vettori could be worth the risk, even if it means Vettori plays @ 6...

Why not this for the 1st Test at the Gabba .......

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori
Young
Southee
Bracewell
Boult
Milne

Or alternatively the more conservative & conventional ...

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Brownlie
Vettori
Young
Southee
Bracewell
Boult

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ I'm assuming Bennett is still injured & I'm not totally closed-off to the thought of McKay, I'm just kinda hoping Boult might be a better left-arm option. :p

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Agree with dropping Martin. Aus are vulnerable no matter if we beat SA. Go hard at us. We have no scary names anymore, no Gilchrist to smash a ton at 5/180...