• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

intcricket

U19 12th Man
This kind of attitude is prevalent among a lot of members on this board. Hence, I didn't post for so long. I've always been a shadow visitor though.

Mike5181

International Captain
How has Williamson been faring? Any chances of Lou Vincent making a comeback?
Had a stint with Gloucestershire in second division county where he did ok with 831 runs @ 36. His real test will be the Australia and South Africa tests which will show us what he's learnt and where he's at etc.

Lou Vincent will never play for New Zealand again IMO. He's a decent batsman but even if he was considered he'd still be well down in the pecking order behind Broom, Flynn, Franklin etc.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Kane played quite well against us. What made him seem impressive what that he outshined his much fancied teammates. Australia will be a big test for him.

As for Lou, I find him to be a good player and a handy keeper. Unfortunately, health issues ruined his career. Very brave of him to come back to the domestic fold and I hope to see him in Blacks again. Maybe he'll provide the line-up with the much needed fire-power?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't agree that we lack firepower - McCullum, Taylor, Guptill and Ryder are all capable of blazing knocks.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah we would benefit more from people who can spend long periods at the crease. Baz, Guppy, Taylor, Ryder and Vettori are all pretty expansive Test bats.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I wicket taker that relies on his pace at the domestic level to take wickets, pace that won't be anything special at the inertnational level - and let's be fair here, Andy McKay is not a mid 140's bowler, not that Andy McKay I've been watching for the last two years anyway.

I just can't see him being successful at the test level, I don't think he has the skill nor control to be a good test bowler, he's a left arm version of Mark Gillespie imo, and we all saw how he worked out.
I can only go on the speed guns, which are showing me mid 140s. I can also go on watching him domestically, where he is a yard quicker than anyone else. So if he's not a mid 140s bowler, then someone is pulling the wool over my eyes.

I never disputed that he won't be a successful Test bowler, my point was a) he is quick b) saying he doesn't swing it is erroneous in the extreme and c) he deserves to be in the side.

I for the life of me cannot see the similarities between him and Gillespie, apart from they both now play for Wellington and have a fair bit of pace. Gillespie was a right-arm away swinger who struggled with length, McKay is a left-arm in-swinger who struggles with line. And Gillespie had more tools to be a successful Test bowler but didn't use them.

Flem274*

123/5
McKay might have just bowled himself out of a first eleven spot for this tour. ODIs =/= tests but his struggle to bowl two consecutive balls that aren't pies will not be looked on favourably you would imagine.

But I doubt anyone apart from Guptill is consistent.
Guptill is the least consistent by far. Taylor, Ryder and Vettori are very consistent, but having only three constantly good batsmen will only get us so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McKay might have just bowled himself out of a first eleven spot for this tour. ODIs =/= tests but his struggle to bowl two consecutive balls that aren't pies will not be looked on favourably you would imagine.
Nah reckon he should and will be there for tests, barring an awful performance against Zimbabwe. He might be erratic and not bowl two consecutive balls in the same place but think he does have the ability to bowl deliveries that are challenging even to decent batsmen. I'd really like to see him on a moderately helpful pitch on a day where there's a bit of swing in the air and see what happens. Hopefully this will be vs Australia.

Flem274*

123/5
Thread title updated and schedule added. Squads will also be added to the original post when announced.

I'll sticky this closer to the series but if it starts getting heaps of posts I'll sticky it sooner.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Can you add a poll Flem with the following options

Who will win

Australia 2-0
Australia 1-0
A draw 0-0
Irrelevant option Flem will get a job for channel 9's commentary team.
(No need to list any other options IMHO)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, interested to hear if Zimbabwe test has changed anyone's mind on who the 11 for Australia should be.

Bracewell has probably overtaken MmmKay as third seamer. Patel won't be there and Watling shouldn't be (Flynn can provide cover for top 6 unless injured. Maybe Broom too). That's about all the conclusions I can draw. In reality I see us playing Brownlie at 6 and only 4 bowlers.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Squad for Oz:

Playing XI that I think selectors will choose:
McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder (don't be injured you ****)
Brownlie
Vettori
Young
Bracewell
Southee
Martin

Reserves:
MmmKay
Flynn
Broom (I'm tempted to say Franklin, but I know you would all mock me)
Top performing domestic bowler

We don't need a backup keeper IMO. In the very unlikely event that Young injures himself just before the game, surely McCullum could do the job (and bat at 7). It's not worth taking Watling for this purpose.

Meridio

International Regular
You'd think Boult would be in the squad in place of Patel, but then he didn't make the squad for Zimbabwe. Agree that we don't need a reserve keeper, and there are better reserve batting options available.

Brownlie's probably done enough to keep his spot, and Bracewell should also stay in the team. Martin's probably past it now, but a seam attack of Southee - Bracewell - McKay/Boult has a very green look about it. Despite McKay's receding hairline.