• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually disregard what I've said above. We'll be touring with Martin/Vettori and whichever two or three bowlers in the country aren't injured.

So it's Arnel and Tuffey again basically.
Tuffey just had bicep surgery, so it won't be him.

Boult wasn't picked for Zimbabwe so by logic you'd suggest he won't go to Australia either.

Seamers will be Southee/Martin/McKay, Vettori spinner, Ryder to bowl part-timers.

howardj

International Coach
looking forward to making my way out to AB Field for the warm up game versus Australia A, the week before the Test

always marks the start of summer for me

good times

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is some talk of an O'Brien come back.

Any Kiwi posters aware of this chatter at all?

Howsie

International Captain
The problem I have with Andy McKay is that he has nothing going for him at the international level, he's not particularly quick, he doesn't swing the new ball, he's a skiddy sort of bowler and he's as loose as heck. He may have picked up 30 wickets @ 20 in the Plunket Shield last season but look at his economy rate, he chugged along last season at 3.5 - one of the worst in the competition. During the emerging players tournament it was much the same, in the two three day games McKay played he went along at five runs an over. I don't see that chaging at all when it comes to test cricket, he's going to be expensive, and his best asset which is his pace at the domestic level isn't going to be a factor on the international stage.

Howsie

International Captain
Which prospect(s) do you rate? Boult?
Bracewell, Small, Milne, McCone, Friday, quite a few really. All very raw however, bundles of natural talent but at this stage could still go either way. I don't even see Boult as a prospect anymore, he's one of the best bowlers in the country and should be getting picked.

Flem274*

123/5
Bracewell, Small, Milne, McCone, Friday, quite a few really. All very raw however, bundles of natural talent but at this stage could still go either way. I don't even see Boult as a prospect anymore, he's one of the best bowlers in the country and should be getting picked.
Hey, someone who has seen McCone play. What's he like?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem I have with Andy McKay is that he has nothing going for him at the international level, he's not particularly quick, he doesn't swing the new ball, he's a skiddy sort of bowler and he's as loose as heck. He may have picked up 30 wickets @ 20 in the Plunket Shield last season but look at his economy rate, he chugged along last season at 3.5 - one of the worst in the competition. During the emerging players tournament it was much the same, in the two three day games McKay played he went along at five runs an over. I don't see that chaging at all when it comes to test cricket, he's going to be expensive, and his best asset which is his pace at the domestic level isn't going to be a factor on the international stage.
Not particularly quick? He's in the mid 140s. That's our fastest bowler by a decent margin. Are we holding him up to Shane Bond's marker?

Completely untrue that he doesn't swing the new ball. Absolutely false.

Fair that's he's a skiddy sort of bowler, but he bowled very competently on debut and deserves another go. I seem to recall he nicked out an Indian guy, scored a few tons in his time. 99 or so.

And do we really insist on having our cake and eat it too when it comes to fast bowlers? He'd be the first to admit he leaks a few more runs than is absolutely necessary. But he's a wicket-taker, as evidenced by 30 wickets at 20. Ask Auckland's top-order about how dangerous he is after he cracked 3-4 of them on the lid at the Basin and generally scared the living sh*t out of them.

He was picked on the testimony of Daniel Vettori who copped a similarly speedy spell at the Basin, along with other of our batsmen.

Pace gives batsmen less chance to make decisions, so it's silly to suggest his speed will make no difference at international level. I'm not suggesting he's our next world beater, all I'm saying he deserves to be there.

Trust me, we're all waiting for the bowler who bowls 150km, hits Gavin Larsen-esque lines, swings it like Chris Pringle with a bottle top in his pocket from Curtley Ambrose's height.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
And do we really insist on having our cake and eat it too when it comes to fast bowlers? He'd be the first to admit he leaks a few more runs than is absolutely necessary. But he's a wicket-taker, as evidenced by 30 wickets at 20. Ask Auckland's top-order about how dangerous he is after he cracked 3-4 of them on the lid at the Basin and generally scared the living sh*t out of them.
I wicket taker that relies on his pace at the domestic level to take wickets, pace that won't be anything special at the inertnational level - and let's be fair here, Andy McKay is not a mid 140's bowler, not that Andy McKay I've been watching for the last two years anyway.

I just can't see him being successful at the test level, I don't think he has the skill nor control to be a good test bowler, he's a left arm version of Mark Gillespie imo, and we all saw how he worked out.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh come on. no posts for like 18 months and then 15 in a heap. i mean delete this string of posts if you want but it's just so.

also he's not me