• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Yousuf vs V.V.S Laxman

salman85

International Debutant
One was the unsung hero of a world class batting line,whereas the other was the most dependable name in one of the game's most fragile batting lines.One played some of the greatest knocks ever,whereas the other had the most productive year ever by a Batsman.

Both up there as one of the most elegant players in the modern game,but they both also probably fall short of an ATG status.

The question is : Who is better?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Youhana had a wonderful 2-3 years, especially when monster patch where he was scoring left, right and perfection. This youhana would rank over many other cricket greats

Laxman, however after being slow in his first 4-5 years has continuously improved. Bats wonderfully under pressure, great 4th innings average and has the ability to make big scores.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
all I have to say is that laxman failed to fulfil his potential.
I can see where you are coming from. I remember a period around 96 or so, when he went on a rampage in domestic cricket scoring 200+ scores regularly and topping 300 a couple of times. Also on song he is a great sight.

But considering the shabby way he was treated by selectors prior to 2001 and his batting position, I would say he has done justice to his potential.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
It's very close to call. Two very attractive, wonderfully gifted players but perhaps MoYo is a touch more complete as a batsman than Laxman.

The Hyderabadi does have a superb resume and I suppose more eye-catching knocks, but one gets the feeling that even when he's well-set, a good length ball nipping in could always get through his gate. There's an element of susceptibility, if you will, about his batting artistry and perhaps that adds to the man's allure.

Yousuf, although a bit of a shaky starter, is technically better when he gets set and gets those feet moving. At his best, he is not only sublimely elegant in strokeplay but also a very good percentage player against seam, bounce and spin.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Laxman gets a tad over rated because he has a wonderful record against an ATG Aus side imo Mo Yo is a bit more complete then him however its very close on another day I might vote for VVS.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, just the 8,000 runs at an average of over 46. What a hack.
if other sub-continental players like younis khan, yousuf, jayawardene, samerwerra, gambhir etc can avg 50+ (and score a lot of 100s) and he can't, then it's clearly the case of not fulfilling potential.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think it's pretty fair to say that Laxman's ability really should give him a better record than he has. Whether that's to be considered a compliment to his ability or a black mark on his record is up to the commentor.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rightly so, VVS played for India, dummy.

Very Very Special for me, big match player.

Last edited: