• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi un-retires from internationals again

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yes he did!

Oh no he didn't!

It's like a children's pantomime with this bloke - the thing I really don't understand is why I like Afridi so much, given that he behaves like a complete tool most of the time

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yes he did!

Oh no he didn't!

It's like a children's pantomime with this bloke - the thing I really don't understand is why I like Afridi so much, given that he behaves like a complete tool most of the time
popcorn factor.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never seemed a "retirement" retirement to me; more of a "hissy fit" retirement so this isn't a surprise.

Just apropos of fred's suggestion he likes Afridi despite the toolishness, I think one can at least be fairly confident that Afridi, for all his foibles, is actually trying to win when he he plays. Sometimes badly and sometimes illegally, but not actively bent.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was he mentioned in the douchebag thread?

No shock, I wait for his next retirement some time in 2012 when he gets dropped again.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
what is the general feeling in pak about afridi and his antics? are people fed up? do they think that he should be playing?

Xuhaib

International Coach
what is the general feeling in pak about afridi and his antics? are people fed up? do they think that he should be playing?
I know its hard to believe but Afridi is arguably the 3rd most popular cricketer ever just behind Imran and Wasim. The tiny minority who keeps a good understanding of the game have recognized what the man is and just look to ignore him or hope he just goes away but still the large majority still hold him in the highest regard an see him as sort of hero who took on the tyrannical Butt when in reality it was just a battle of the two sides of the same coin.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But didn't he have a problem with the management? He gave that as an excuse for his retirement after being dropped despite doing so well. Now that the management has somewhat changed and Butt is gone, it makes sense for him to come out of his 'retirement'.

People being a bit harsh on him imo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If all you want to do is be out of cricket for a specific time frame, it really shouldn't be called retirement, IMO...

Maybe, "he was on a break". :p