• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The days of Pakistan-SL acrimony

salman85

International Debutant
Read this one before.Good article.

I still remember the days when Srilanka were every team's favorite whipping boys :p

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Imran On the first morning of the match, before it was barely half an hour old, umpire Felsinger, while turning down an appeal, told us to shut up and get on with the game. He added that this was "not Pakistan".

Alane Felsinger, umpire in the first Test I never utter a word to players, because I was taught not to speak to anybody. A player can appeal as much as he can.

Who would you rather believe. :p

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Long before Adam Gilchrist antagonised his team-mates by walking in a World Cup semi-final, Wettimuny did the same, and in circumstances much more fraught.

Ramiz: He was a gentleman player. And he surprised us too. And surprised the umpires and his own team.
Imran: Wettimuny walked, even though the umpire had not given him out, and we learned that he was criticised by his own team for doing so. When I heard that, I lost all respect for the Sri Lankan captain and players.
Wettimuny: I think I disappointed some of my management. But all my life I have played my game that way. I don't think I would have changed my game for that. It was more bat than pad, and I was clearly out. It was a habit. I was pulled up for it by certain quarters. I felt it beneath my dignity to not walk. How could you look the players in the face then?
Fab stuff! :cheers:

Even if the guardians of the game sometimes don't have enough respect for the sport, certain players would always give you reasons to feel proud as a cricket lover.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
lol.......Imran had a good reputation on the field so I am slightly in favor of Imran :ph34r:
Lol. I can remember Imran rushing to he umpire with a rule book in that series. He was trying his level best to intimidate the umpires, and there were some heated arguments between him and Ranatunga (who was covered with moustache and beared and had long hair those days). We were pretty sure that Ranatunga would be a charachter in the future seeing that. A 24 year old sledging Imran was a sight.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha....Imran getting sledged.......pretty sure Imran had committed his fair share of sledging in his younger days.

@Migara.....did you watch that series live?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
haha....Imran getting sledged.......pretty sure Imran had committed his fair share of sledging in his younger days.

@Migara.....did you watch that series live?
Yes, but I was very young then. few years back saw a repeat telecast of it. Ranatunga was just eyeballing Imran face to face, as well as Javed Miandad.

There was somebody that Javed gave the middle finger. Can't remeber who it was. Unfortunately, not stump mic, or otherwise fun would have been doubled.