• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing First Class vs Test Tour Experience

Playing First Class vs Test Tour Experience

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fast bowlers are their strongest before their bodies are fully developed??
Both Cummins and Pattenson are clocking 140's easily which shows their bodies are already strong enough for international cricket so better to play them from the get go then trying to take the Tait approach by keeping them wrapped in cotton wool.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both Cummins and Pattenson are clocking 140's easily which shows their bodies are already strong enough for international cricket so better to play them from the get go then trying to take the Tait approach by keeping them wrapped in cotton wool.
Brett Lee was clocking decent speeds as a youngster too...

The fact is that pace has little to do with physical makeup. The ability to keep fit whilst continuing to be able to bowl that pace does.

Australia (NSW) in the last few years have had a chronic speight of injuries to young fast bowlers, put down to over bowling.

I'd suggest the 'working them into the work load' is the smarter route to take.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Brett Lee was clocking decent speeds as a youngster too...

The fact is that pace has little to do with physical makeup. The ability to keep fit whilst continuing to be able to bowl that pace does.

Australia (NSW) in the last few years have had a chronic speight of injuries to young fast bowlers, put down to over bowling.

I'd suggest the 'working them into the work load' is the smarter route to take.
of course workload management is the key and i have no doubt Australia is aware of that no need to toil them for 40 overs on an Ahmedabad pancake(this is how Rameez Raja destroyed Mohammad Zahid) what I want is if they are being taken around with the team make sure they are getting decent playing time instead of just doing the water boy duties in the name of giving them an on tour learning program.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you have an extreamly promising fast bowler then its better you take him on tours and PLAY him. This is what we did with Wasim and Waqar and this is what we were doing with Aamer, fast bowlers have the shortest shelf life among all cricket disciplines so its better you play them when they are at their strongest rather then bedding them in.
How many other "promising" young fast bowlers have Pakistan fast-tracked really early only to find out that they're garbage?

Xuhaib

International Coach
How many other "promising" young fast bowlers have Pakistan fast-tracked really early only to find out that they're garbage?
Not many tbh its problem we have with the batsman we fast track them and they don't amount to anything. Wasim,Waqar and Aamer are really the only examples of fast bowlers getting fast tracked there are cases like Shahid Nazir, Yasir Ali and Amer nazir but they were really random selections rather then players who were building up a reputation.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm genuinely not sure which way to answer, but I reckon Doug Bracewell is benefiting a lot from opening the bowling for NZ, even if it is a 20/20 against Zimbabwe. He's bowling good areas and taking a few wickets. Will do his confidence the world of good.

His domestic record is also pretty average.

Burgey

With all the international tours on pretty well year-round these days, it's probably going to be the reality sooner rather than later that bowlers in particular are rotated in and out of test teams. It may be unpalatable from a traditional "earning your cap" perspective, but I can see it being the accepted norm, because of injury management. Almost like a roster of pitchers in MLB.

Keeping in mind, as M00phy said, the spate of young fast bowling injuries we've had here in recent times, this may be the first step in quarantining blokes to preserve them from injury ahead of a long season/ year.

I just hope they do a better job of it than they did with Dougeh last year (although tbf he was injured in advance of his being told to rest).

Dougeh!

Dougeh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
With all the international tours on pretty well year-round these days, it's probably going to be the reality sooner rather than later that bowlers in particular are rotated in and out of test teams. It may be unpalatable from a traditional "earning your cap" perspective, but I can see it being the accepted norm, because of injury management. Almost like a roster of pitchers in MLB.

Keeping in mind, as M00phy said, the spate of young fast bowling injuries we've had here in recent times, this may be the first step in quarantining blokes to preserve them from injury ahead of a long season/ year.

I just hope they do a better job of it than they did with Dougeh last year (although tbf he was injured in advance of his being told to rest).

Dougeh!

Dougeh.
I'd say it's reality now; England have sensibly rotated their bowlers over the last 18 months which has had 2 benefits; it's given players some valuable rest, and it's allowed England to develop bench strength whereby England have 5 quicks at the moment fighting for 3 spots, all of whom have performed very well in the last 18 months when called upon.

Burgey

I'd say it's reality now; England have sensibly rotated their bowlers over the last 18 months which has had 2 benefits; it's given players some valuable rest, and it's allowed England to develop bench strength whereby England have 5 quicks at the moment fighting for 3 spots, all of whom have performed very well in the last 18 months when called upon.
Which is, of course, well and good if you have the depth available. The problem arises for teams which don't, or which get a raft of injuries and have to call upon real second-stringers (mind you that's happened before anyway - our attack against India in 03-04 a case in point).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Which is, of course, well and good if you have the depth available. The problem arises for teams which don't, or which get a raft of injuries and have to call upon real second-stringers (mind you that's happened before anyway - our attack against India in 03-04 a case in point).
Broad, Anderson, Tremlett and Bresnan have all missed Tests ij the last year through injury.

Most teams will have depth, their problem is a lack of quality. India have 5 or 6 equally mediocre bowlers with Test experience that they can turn to, for instance.

Burgey

Broad, Anderson, Tremlett and Bresnan have all missed Tests ij the last year through injury.

Most teams will have depth, their problem is a lack of quality. India have 5 or 6 equally mediocre bowlers with Test experience that they can turn to, for instance.
Well, plainly I was refering to quality depth, not turgid RP Singh/ Munaf Patel types.

Atul Sharma ftw.

Redbacks

International Captain
I suppose IT20's are the perfect place to blood youngsters, a recently new option. The format does, in the Cummins case, have the potential to make a player look like a star and make people overlook the massive difference in skill set required for Test cricket (and FC stats). His pace did look very good though. I do wonder if he could do that for 10+ overs or in a second spell with the new ball.

Looking over the thread is does seem as though across all countries current star players have been taken on tours before their time.

*sad I spelt the irrelevant option incorrectly, surely an apt option on 'unworthy' people hanging around.

Last edited: