• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: The Greatest Test Innings

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, not so in general, but he did bowl a good spell in the closing stages of day 3 in that test.

Saqlain of course was at his very best and Wasim was bowling very well.
Nah... Waqar was so bad that he was dropped soon after. Wasim, while good, was nowhere near his best and was perhaps at the same level as Venky Prasad in that series in those conditions. His ball to Dravid was awesome but his bowling was just that, flashes of brilliance then. Not consistently good as he used to be. Saqlain was easily the real threat.

abmk

State 12th Man
Nah... Waqar was so bad that he was dropped soon after. Wasim, while good, was nowhere near his best and was perhaps at the same level as Venky Prasad in that series in those conditions. His ball to Dravid was awesome but his bowling was just that, flashes of brilliance then. Not consistently good as he used to be. Saqlain was easily the real threat.
like I said, Waqar had declined, but I do remember him bowling a good spell towards the end of the day 3. Waqar did play the test series in Aus after that IIRC

I think Wasim was bowling quite a bit better than what you are making him out to be. It wasn't just flashes of brilliance, not quite his very best, but still bowling pretty well.

Reg Saqlain, yeah, he was the most threatening easily

abmk

State 12th Man
I think Sachin's 136 was his best.. And the 114 or something he made in Perth in 1992 as his second best. The Capetown knock, while good, is nowhere near these two in my opinion. And there was his 150 odd in Bloemfontein when he batted with Sehwag on debut, think that was much better than the CapeTown knock which was on a flattened out track.
flattened out track, yeah, but India were tottering at 58/5 vs Donald, McMillan, Pollock, Klusener ... having to get 329 to avoid follow-on. The counter-attack from him and Azhar was too amazing ....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
like I said, Waqar had declined, but I do remember him bowling a good spell towards the end of the day 3. Waqar did play the test series in Aus after that IIRC

I think Wasim was bowling quite a bit better than what you are making him out to be. It wasn't just flashes of brilliance, not quite his very best, but still bowling pretty well.

Reg Saqlain, yeah, he was the most threatening easily
That series in Australia happened before the India series. And Waqar was dropped for Shoaib at Kolkata.

abmk

State 12th Man
That series in Australia happened before the India series. And Waqar was dropped for Shoaib at Kolkata.
The Aus series in late 99 was after the India series in early 99 ..

I really can't recall now whether Waqar was dropped or had injury problems or whether it was because of some problems with Wasim. Not really sure ...

hang on

State Vice-Captain
yeah facing the 99 Waqar was really difficult, sure..
why focus on waqar in isolation? he might not have been that great at that point, but that attack is still more fearsome than anything india was putting out, or has ever put out. no way that afridi's knock was better, though it was still a rather good one, from all accounts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
why focus on waqar in isolation? he might not have been that great at that point, but that attack is still more fearsome than anything india was putting out, or has ever put out. no way that afridi's knock was better, though it was still a rather good one, from all accounts.
no.. that attack was not better than many of the Indian attacks, esp. in Indian conditions. Heck, even our attack that series was just as good as theirs. Waqar was a washed up version just about bowling 80 to 83 mph. Wasim was good but not all that good and definitely was not consistently asking questions of batsmen like he used to. Saqlain was head and shoulders above the rest of the Pak bowlers. Compare that to India with an inform Srinath, Prasad and Kumble... How is that attack better than ours? We lost those games because we batted a bit worse than them, simple as that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Aus series in late 99 was after the India series in early 99 ..

I really can't recall now whether Waqar was dropped or had injury problems or whether it was because of some problems with Wasim. Not really sure ...
So the fact that he was dropped a game after the Chennai test is not as relevant as him playing a series almost a year later with respect to his form DURING that India tour?

abmk

State 12th Man
So the fact that he was dropped a game after the Chennai test is not as relevant as him playing a series almost a year later with respect to his form DURING that India tour?
just saying Waqar was not totally out of the picture in 99.

His form dipped since after 1998, but again like I said he did bowl a good spell at the end of day 3 in Chennai ( surprised Wasim didn't bowl him much in day 4 ).

Again, like I said I don't remember exactly why he didn't play in the Kolkata test - injuries or out of form in general or some problems with Wasim or a combination of these .....

abmk

State 12th Man
no.. that attack was not better than many of the Indian attacks, esp. in Indian conditions. Heck, even our attack that series was just as good as theirs. Waqar was a washed up version just about bowling 80 to 83 mph. Wasim was good but not all that good and definitely was not consistently asking questions of batsmen like he used to. Saqlain was head and shoulders above the rest of the Pak bowlers. Compare that to India with an inform Srinath, Prasad and Kumble... How is that attack better than ours? We lost those games because we batted a bit worse than them, simple as that.
IMO, top form Saqlain+wasim bowling well made that attack better than India's though I wouldn't say it was that it was much better ...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
just saying Waqar was not totally out of the picture in 99.

His form dipped since after 1998, but again like I said he did bowl a good spell at the end of day 3 in Chennai ( surprised Wasim didn't bowl him much in day 4 ).

Again, like I said I don't remember exactly why he didn't play in the Kolkata test - injuries or out of form in general or some problems with Wasim or a combination of these .....
He was dropped. It was the reason given and there has never been any controversy around it. He was really that woeful in the preceding two tests.. I watched the chennai game live at the ground and I still don't recall a single testing spell from Waqar in the whole game.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Compare that to India with an inform Srinath, Prasad and Kumble... How is that attack better than ours? We lost those games because we batted a bit worse than them, simple as that.
don't see too many lineups clambering over srinath, prasad, and kumble to play wasim, waqar and saqlain! and it's not that the indian conditions were so alien to the pakistani team, what with their spinners and their mastery of reverse swing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
don't see too many lineups clambering over srinath, prasad, and kumble to play wasim, waqar and saqlain! and it's not that the indian conditions were so alien to the pakistani team, what with their spinners and their mastery of reverse swing.
yeah, that is why Ramesh was pasting them and Venky was taking 6 fers...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And you said spinners (plural).. would LOVE to know why the washed up Mushtaq or that Nadeem were any better than Sunil Joshi tbh..

hang on

State Vice-Captain
And you said spinners (plural).. would LOVE to know why the washed up Mushtaq or that Nadeem were any better than Sunil Joshi tbh..
am sure u'd LOVE a lot of other things as well!

i think u are nitpicking here. call it a spinner (singular), if that pleases u. was speaking generically about pak attacks and their familiarity with' indian' conditions....spin, the need for reverse swing etc.

i repeat, most batting lineups would prefer to face srinath, prasad, joshi and kumble over wasim, waqar, saqlain, mushtaq ahmed/nadeem/whoever any day of the week and twice on sundays.

out of curiosity, do u rate afridi's knock as better than tendulkar's? this is where this all started, including your commendable defense of the indian attack!

Last edited:

abmk

State 12th Man
Nah.. you are underrating how good our bowling was in home conditions back then...
nah, they were good in home conditions, but not that good as you are making them out to be.

I think you are under-rating how good wasim was at that time .....

abmk

State 12th Man
He was dropped. It was the reason given and there has never been any controversy around it. He was really that woeful in the preceding two tests.. I watched the chennai game live at the ground and I still don't recall a single testing spell from Waqar in the whole game.
Not sure what exactly you remember, but

His figures in the 2nd innings of that Chennai test read :

12 overs, 6 maidens, 26 runs 2 wickets

He got both openers and bowled well to Sachin and Dravid ...

He didn't bowl well in the other 3 innings in that series, yeah, but not the case in this innings ...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
S.R. Tendulkar 3
Besides these 3, I would like to know how Tendulkar's following innings are rated in your system...

1. His century in the Perth test, 1991-92 season HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
2. His match-winning century in NZ HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
3. His 193 in the Headingley test HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
4. His match-winning 214 against Australia, 2010 HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
5. His no-cover drive 241* in Sydney HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
6. One among his Warne-demolition acts, a match-winning unbeaten century HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
7. His 2nd century in the 2010-11 South Africa tour, in the Kallisball test HowSTAT! Match Scorecard

Last edited: