• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Championship Postponed (read Scrapped)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprisingly not that sad about this. I dunno know. It never really struck a chord with me

Woodster

International Captain
Disappointed this doesn't look as though it's taking place, instead we have a mickey-mouse one-day tournament that imo should either be scrapped from the calendar or used by countries as an opportunity to rest key players and replace them with young guns trying to impress.

However, the Champions Trophy brings in more money, that's the bottom line.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's unfortunately a sad indication of cricket atm. Junior numbers a re dying. State bodies are putting all their hopes (and money) into 20/20 cricket. If it wasn't for the money in India the game would be on it's knees!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Must admit I was always fairly indifferent to the concept; for me at least part of the beauty of tests is the series that contains them and its ebbs, flows, eddies and currents. One off tests, whilst still preferrable to limited overs, are never quite as thrilling.

Did laugh at this comment tho:

Stephen Brenkley in The Independent said:
In ditching the much-lauded DRS, the ICC hopes it will eventually win India round.
So the governing body hopes to convince one of its constituent members. The tail wags the dog indeed.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Lately the ICC has been making more u-turns than the PCB.

Would have been a great competition. In about 50 years time when only T20 is played I could always tell my grand kids that there was such as thing as Test cricket.

Debris

International 12th Man
Lately the ICC has been making more u-turns than the PCB.

Would have been a great competition. In about 50 years time when only T20 is played I could always tell my grand kids that there was such as thing as Test cricket.
Sadly, I can almost hear the response already.

"A game of cricket that went for 5 days. That is just stupid, granddad."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not that fussed tbh; Test cricket as a format doesn't suit a knockout style event.

I had the feeling that if it did get the go-ahead for 2013, that it would be the only time it was ever run.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Loved the idea - still love it. A bit like UDRS - big opposition from the more traditional corners until they actually see it in action.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Loved the idea - still love it. A bit like UDRS - big opposition from the more traditional corners until they actually see it in action.
It's scheduled to take place in England and there isn't the time to make it anything other than.an elite event. With it being England, there's the potential for rain affected draws - how do you resolve that in a knockout event? I'd much rather have proper Test series rather than this tbh.

Woodster

International Captain
Imo, a Test series is also more captivating series rather than a knockout Test tournament, but if this was an opportunity to enhance come excitement around this fomat, and grow interest back into the elite format, then I'd be willing to give it a try.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If India were to slide down the rankings then the tournament won't be commercially viable anyway.