• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's official: Goughy clocked Swanneh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A few of you might remember Messers Lloyd & Atherton dropping hints during their commentary stints on our last tour of SA that one of the senior seamers had taken umbrage with the tyro Swann on England's ill-fated 99/00 tour of the Republic & things had gotten physical.
Discussion here.

With the World's Premier Spinner™ having his autobiography (which bears the rather splendid title of The Breaks are Off) serialised in The Currant Bun it's no surprise that one of the revelations is that it was the combustable Tyke who twatted him. From The Sun.

Swann says he still didn't know why, but Gough in turn has confirmed it was essentially because he was being a lippy sod. From The Super, Soaraway:

"We had some disagreements and I warned him it'd go further if it happened again. Two days later, we had a bit to drink and he was trying to belittle me.

We had a disagreement, he swore at me and I gave him a cow tailer with my left hand. There was a queue of people waiting to give him one on tour."

---

So, in conclusion: Swann gobby; Gough quick tempered. I'm as stunned as you. :-O

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:

One of the least surprising tales of team-mate conflict I've ever come across. I can fully imagine Swanny just thinking the over-reaction was absolutely hilarious and laughing off the shiner as well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I should probably admit to thinking you meant CW's own Goughy upon reading the thread title.

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
:laugh:

One of the least surprising tales of team-mate conflict I've ever come across. I can fully imagine Swanny just thinking the over-reaction was absolutely hilarious and laughing off the shiner as well.
Any person, and I mean any self respecting person will feel humiliated at being punched by a colleague.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
We all know that Swanny likes his jokes, especially teasing other team members (Finn, Bresnan). Whilst they could handle the banter, seems like Gough couldn't.

I wonder how Gough and Flintoff got along.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We all know that Swanny likes his jokes, especially teasing other team members (Finn, Bresnan). Whilst they could handle the banter, seems like Gough couldn't.

I wonder how Gough and Flintoff got along.
Probably famously. Both of them come across as complete douchbags.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Swann admits he was bang out of order on that tour and Gough said that when he told Fletcher about it Fletcher said there were about 5 wanting to do it and at least it was a senior player.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes my money was on Grizzly Adams, then Caddick. Not close. It seems Swann upset a number of people on that tour and needed/deserved something along the lines of a cuff round the earhole. The way Swann tells it, it was one of the few occasions that he didn't deserve it, which makes Gough look like a bit of a bully, but I'm sure it will have been a build-up of smart arse behaviour from our much loved tweaker!

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Swann seems to love picking on fast bowlers. Not too bright really, you'd think a spinner would know better.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Gough, much like Vaughan, is a player I really loved when he was at his peak for England before he (a) hung on a bit long as a player and (b) revealed himself by his media appearances to be a complete prick. Can't quite decide which one I like less. Vaughan is obviously the front-runner, although to his credit he's never, as far as I'm aware, been either a TalkSport pundit or a campaigner for the ****ing Tories.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any person, and I mean any self respecting person will feel humiliated at being punched by a colleague.
I wouldn't, and I have an unhealthy amount of self-respect. Gough is the guy who comes out of the story looking like a neanderthal prick. Who the **** punches their team-mate?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't, and I have an unhealthy amount of self-respect. Gough is the guy who comes out of the story looking like a neanderthal prick. Who the **** punches their team-mate?
IIRC Simon Katich attacked Michael Clarke for some kind of perceived insult against the Team Song.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gough, much like Vaughan, is a player I really loved when he was at his peak for England before he (a) hung on a bit long as a player and (b) revealed himself by his media appearances to be a complete prick. Can't quite decide which one I like less. Vaughan is obviously the front-runner, although to his credit he's never, as far as I'm aware, been either a TalkSport pundit or a campaigner for the ****ing Tories.
Put Beefy in that category too.