• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Hadlee - Poll Added

Who was the better Test bowler?

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Always regret not getting to crash two beer cans together and do the Hadlee chant as a 10 year old. Hadlee claimed he timed his run up to match the clanging of the beer cans.

I am thrilled that I got to see him live in an ODI however.

At his finest in this clip - they interviewed the NZ cricket team about this day and most of them had each dismissal memorised.
RJ Hadlee At The Gabba - YouTube

Teja.

Global Moderator
I reckon the difference has to be negligible. Gunpoint: Hadlee.

Even among all the ATG pacers of the post-1970 period, Imran, Hadlee, Mcgrath, Marshall and Donald pretty much equals, for mine.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thread Summary and Conclusions thus far for me only:

Probably should have run a poll but many people think it is difficult to split the two. Certainly I think they were different bowlers. I think Hadlee relied on seam pace and guile more while Marshall could use fear and speed more.

I am content if the general consensus from most is that they are too close too split.

I am, on a private note, pleased that it has been conceded that Hadlee was at a disadvantage for some of his stats by having to toil by himself as that has been disputed in other threads. In my view his total wickets may have been higher by being by himself but his other stats (avg/sr) would have been disadvantaged.

Hadlee also had a slow start, that is well documented to his career, and this pushed up his averages a wee bit as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Agree it's pretty close but think you'll find Marshall would win reasonably comfortably if you did add a poll. One of the mods might add one for you.

Dissector

International Debutant
Hadlee IMO. He played in an average team with relatively little support form other bowlers. In general I think the advantages of having great bowlers at the other end like Marshall did outweigh the disadvantages in terms of extra competition for wickets. Not to mention the advantage of having scoreboard pressure created by your batsmen.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Whats Hadlee's record in the SC like? My memory is- right or wrong - is that he thrived on a lot of bowler helpful wickets but was less effective on less helpful wickets. Quite happy for stats to educate me.

EDIT- holy cow, impressive stats, without seeing the matches and judging the quality of the pitches, it aint bad, apart from Pakistan. India and SL records are great.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, Marshall would be considered the better bowler because I think the factors of 'bowling to the tail' and 'having to carry the team' would indeed cancel themselves out when it comes to a career average. Especially true in the 1980s when tailenders were of a lower standard than cricketers today.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the difference has to be negligible. Gunpoint: Hadlee.

Even among all the ATG pacers of the post-1970 period, Imran, Hadlee, Mcgrath, Marshall and Donald pretty much equals, for mine.
Won't forgive you for not including Ambrose in that lst :(

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Fully agree, Trueman and Ambrose fully belong in that list. Glad Donald was included, really under rated bowler.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Murali will be that ultimate post 1970 XI bowling line up.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Removing SL from Hadlee would probably make the comparison fairer since Marshall never played the minnows of his era. Hadlee then looks like this. I'd probably give the edge to Marshall, regardless though.

Last edited: