• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Graham Dilley

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An unpleasant reminder of my own mortality is this sad news.

I'll never forget "Picca" for two reasons - firstly that wonderful stand he had with Botham at Headingley in 81 - when they started we were finished but, when he was out for 50 odd, there was a glimmer of hope and a real sense of anticipation

second I always wanted my girlfriend at Uni to do the things to me she said she'd like to do to him - but sadly she never did

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An unpleasant reminder of my own mortality is this sad news.

I'll never forget "Picca" for two reasons - firstly that wonderful stand he had with Botham at Headingley in 81 - when they started we were finished but, when he was out for 50 odd, there was a glimmer of hope and a real sense of anticipation

second I always wanted my girlfriend at Uni to do the things to me she said she'd like to do to him - but sadly she never did
:laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of only 6 England pace bowlers since i was born to have debuted and finished their career with over 100 test wickets with an average less than 30.

Botham
Dilley
Fraser
Caddick
Gough
Cork

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
**** me, I thought the thread title was some kind of wind-up. :(

RIP, a fine bowler and that 56 he got at Headingley in '81 was one of the most valuable supporting acts in Test history.

Jacknife

International Captain
Gutted, my favorite England bowler during the 80's, as a kid I used to copy his bowling style, with that long arcing run in to the crease and the way he almost stopped and ****ed his wrist and fired it in.

He was only on TV the other month when they did that Documentary about 30 years since Headingley '81, he looked in decent form then. RIP Graham.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bloody hell. Poor guy. Blokes of his age just shouldn't be dying. :(

I vaguely remember him being a martyr to injuries, him and then Neil Foster seemed to fill the "it'll be all right when he's fit again" niche in the English cricketing psyche for most of the 80s.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
In my mind he was at the forefront of that long period of endlessly injured English fast bowlers. Always wondered if the slightly stop-start bowling action contributed.

Lovely description of the 81 innings (possibly Don Mosey's) had an intensely concentrating Botham, desperately scrapping away and visibly bristling at the sight of the young buck come in and play some beautiful cover drives.

Very important member of the exhilarating 86-87 tour and plenty of other memories as well, if less than there should have been.

Reminder of my own mortality. Aye...

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Really sad to hear about this. :(

I bowler I've heard about but not read much on, suffice to say I will do now, although not for reasons I would have wanted.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Awful news - he was far too young to go.

Thoughts have to be with his family, but I'm just shocked that a guy a year older than me has passed away after a short illness.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I pretty much started to watch cricket when Dilley started playing for England...

....remember the headingly Test when he scored his 50 to help Botham go past the Aussie score...and loved to see "Lillee caught Willey, bowled Dilley"

RIP, way too young and out of nowhere....