• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1948 Invicibles

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello! I haven't written on this forum for quite some time. However, I always read your interesting discussions.

I am writing you now because I need some help from you. I have bought one cricket board game (I won't say the name) and I would like to replay the entire 1948 tour of Australia (Don Bradman and the Invicibles).

My question is about the new ball. I have read that during those tests the new ball was offered after 55 overs. But what about the games against counties? It seems that the 55 overs rule was not applied.

Do you have any idea? In case you don't know the exact answer, you might tell me the rules of First Class Cricket during that area.

Thanks a lot!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm pretty sure it was 55 overs in all English first class cricket from 1946-48 - went up to 65 in 1949 - before the war it had been different and the fielding side could call for a new ball after 200 runs

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thanks for your reply. So, it seems that Wikipedia is wrong.

Things were different in the county matches. As Bradman wanted to keep Lindwall and Miller fresh for the Tests, he generally gave them a lighter workload against the weaker opposition in the county matches, and the three spinners Ring, Johnson and McCool did more of the work,especially as the 55-over rule did not apply outside the Tests.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi Koufax, how you doin mate?

I've seen that you abandoned your project of a cricket blog in italian; too bad, but as I imagined it's pretty impossible for somebody who doesn't speak english to become interested and follow the game, while those who speaks it prefer the original medias.

Still, it's a pity that you left, I was checking it from time to time. I still mantain that if you wrote something about the 1948 invincibles or the 1981 ashes instead of just the results and little more, more people would have got interested (sadly I'm quite bad at writing 'amarcord' posts, otherwise would have happily helped you), expecially considering the taste of those on Playt (just look at the success those 'Joe's writings' have)

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey, there!

I have abandoned my little blog, since I couldn't find time to write. However, I recently bought an interesting board game (I prefer them to videogames) and I am doing some replays. I have just received the 1948 Ashes Tour set. I needed some information regarding numbers of overs and the new ball. Now, I am ready to start it! It will take me lots of time (22 games: 5 tests + 17 county games), but I hope to finish it in 5-6 months!

And I'm also curious to see whether Don Bradman will pass the 100.00 mark!

PS: May I ask you your name on Play.it?

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Uh, I haven't had an account on Playit for so long, I don't even remember what my username was! Not that it matters, I don't believe I ever wrote more than 40-50 posts there, and I've stopped even to lurk in there since last year.

Good for you that you found that, unfortunately I'm a bit past boardgames (or videogames, for what matters) but I know how much could be relaxing sometimes to pass your time with a simulation.

I'm trying to make the first, small steps towards something similar to a cricketing UZR in a thread nearby, you're more than welcome to drop by and give your opinion.

PS Reading again my message above, I had the impression it sounded just like this; that was not what I meant, so I apologize if it gave you that impression

Last edited:

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
May I say the name of the game? I'm waiting for a reply from the administrators.

The game can be easily found on the internet. You will receive the game charts (rules, rating for each player). Then you will need 2 dice and a 52-card deck (no jokers). Then, you start playing.

The game is very accurate. So, great batsmen (Tendulkar, Ponting, Bradman) will score many more runs than decent batsmen. And bowlers will hardly score more than 10 runs. Lots of elements are considered:

- Bowlers. You will not use a spinner at the beginning of an innings. Instead, you will use a fast bowler, who can get some effect from the new ball.

- Batsmen. Every batsman has the most suitable rating for his characteristics. Shahid Afridi (for example) can score 36 runs in one over, but he can be out the very next one. Rahul Dravid (instead) will not score many runs in one over, but you will have much trouble to get his wicket.

- Pitch. The pitch is flat.... Lots of runs for the batsmen, lots of trouble for the bowlers. Pitch with cracks.. Problems for the batsmen. There are 12 pitch cards, all of which describe a particular pitch.

- Weather. If it rains, the pitch will be wet.

And many other rules. So, the final outcome is an extremely accurate game. Obviously, there is the random effect: if you are unlucky with the cards and with the dice, even Bradman can be out for a duck (although, that will not happen that often). It can be difficult at the beginning. It takes some time to understand the rules; some people may even consider these kinds of games boring. However, once you overcome the initial difficulties, the game becomes a gem. It is like watching a cricket game (in your mind). And everytime you draw a card or you throw the dice, you will see the players shouting for an lbw or hitting the ball out for a six.

If you read the rulebook, it says that you only need 2-3 hours to complete a test match. However, if you want to be extremely accurate, you definitely need more time. Usually one day of play lasts 90 minutes.

PS Reading again my message above, I had the impression it sounded just like this; that was not what I meant, so I apologize if it gave you that impression
Not at all. You don't have to apologize! You said nothing bad or offensive.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hi Stefano - I'm sure none of the bigwigs will mind you giving us the name of the game, it's not in competition with the website after all. Does sound like lovely nerdy fun though.

Oh, and if you want to quote someone's post in order to reply to them, there are quote and multi-quote buttons on the bottom right of each post to use, if you want.

Last edited:

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I suggest you going to the GAMES FORUM, here. I have just opened a discussion on cricket board games. I will also post the results of my replay.