• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Performance of Subcontinental Fast Bowlers Outside the Subcontinent

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not surprised sub cont fast bowlers feed on dry conditions as that brings reverse swing in to play hence they have better home records.This is why I feel uncomfortable when people call Mahela or Mo Yo FTB and let KP and Hussy get away with it a cricketer will naturally be more comfortable in conditions he's brought up on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A point I repeatedly make when people bring up that Wasim, Waqar etc had to contend with "dead" home pitches. That they do worse in supposedly more "bowler friendly" conditions tends to get ignored.

Before the England v India series all the talk was "let's see how Ishant and Sree go when they get more favourable conditions". They then both utterly wasted any assistance they got. Ishant, in particular, is a far better bowler in India; the West Indies series aside, he has been a total failure outside India.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting results when one considers just England & NZ, by repute the two most swing-friendly countries. Statsguru.

Shows how very good Amir & Asif could/should have been and also how well Zak has done. Only non-Pakistani in the top 9.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Interesting results when one considers just England & NZ, by repute the two most swing-friendly countries. Statsguru.

Shows how very good Amir & Asif could/should have been and also how well Zak has done. Only non-Pakistani in the top 9.
Haha, Wasim's record in New Zealand is ludicrous. IIRC no foreign bowler has taken more wickets there than Wasim.

Qualifier for Amir's record in NZ - he was on debut and the fielding for that series was abysmal.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I bet Waqar had a far better record than that at one stage too as he was selected on reputation for most of his last 4 years as an international in much the same way as Botham was for England years before.

No great surprise to see the Pakistan bowlers at the top and the rest miles behind either.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Haha, Wasim's record in New Zealand is ludicrous. IIRC no foreign bowler has taken more wickets there than Wasim.

Qualifier for Amir's record in NZ - he was on debut and the fielding for that series was abysmal.
Qualifier for Wasim: New Zealand cricket was in its lowest modern-day ebb at the time.:dry:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Qualifier for Wasim: New Zealand cricket was in its lowest modern-day ebb at the time.:dry:
I believe that is now?

Wasim almost always played against Fleming's or Crowe's NZ I presume? Those two are the relative highs for NZ cricket I suppose...

Days of Grace

International Captain
1992/93 in one test and 1993/94 in three tests was when Wasim took most of his New Zealand wickets, IIRC.

The New Zealand batting lineup at that time was fairly brittle.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that is now?

Wasim almost always played against Fleming's or Crowe's NZ I presume? Those two are the relative highs for NZ cricket I suppose...
I believe, I presume, I suppose :)
Very rare that one comes across such a doubtful message :) No offence meant, just writing off the top of my mind.

Jacknife

International Captain
Not surprised sub cont fast bowlers feed on dry conditions as that brings reverse swing in to play hence they have better home records.This is why I feel uncomfortable when people call Mahela or Mo Yo FTB and let KP and Hussy get away with it a cricketer will naturally be more comfortable in conditions he's brought up on.
I get what your saying and it's a given in most cases that players are more comfortable in their home conditions, even though there are exceptions like Cook who averages more away from home 54 away to 46 home. KP has a 9 point difference between his home and away numbers, 45 home 54 away.
Mo Yo has a 20 point difference 65 home 45 away
Mahela has a 22 point difference 63 home 41 away
Hussey has a 17 point differenc 62 home 45 away
Personally wouldn't call any of them FTB but didn't get where you came from putting KP in that supposed list.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I get what your saying and it's a given in most cases that players are more comfortable in their home conditions, even though there are exceptions like Cook who averages more away from home 54 away to 46 home. KP has a 9 point difference between his home and away numbers, 45 home 54 away.
Mo Yo has a 20 point difference 65 home 45 away
Mahela has a 22 point difference 63 home 41 away
Hussey has a 17 point differenc 62 home 45 away
Personally wouldn't call any of them FTB but didn't get where you came from putting KP in that supposed list.
Better would be to compare averages in SC vs averages outside of SC. Then you'll start to find interesting things about players.