• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SL without Murali

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Of their last 11 matches against 4 opponents after Murali retired, Sri Lanka have not one won match, and Dropped from 2nd in rankings to 5th.

Eight draws, 3 losses.

What's that all about?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A team loses one of the greatest bowlers of all time and replaces him with Rangana Herath and Suraj Randiv, only to suddenly start losing matches.

Yeah, I'm baffled too.

Himannv

International Coach
I think Murali leaving us has caused difficulties but other members of the team have not performed as well as they can either. Them underperforming combined with Murali and Malinga retiring hasn't helped our test results much.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
A team loses one of the greatest bowlers of all time and replaces him with Rangana Herath and Suraj Randiv, only to suddenly start losing matches.

Yeah, I'm baffled too.
Even Australia won some matches, when McGrath, Warne, Langer, Damien, Hayden retired all at once.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
I think Murali leaving us has caused difficulties but other members of the team have not performed as well as they can either. Them underperforming combined with Murali and Malinga retiring hasn't helped our test results much.
That's my gripe with the whole thing. I don't think rest of the team have picked up the slack. The last match against Australia was ridiculous, instead of going for the victory the bloke wasted like 1 to 2 hour for his century. It's like they've forgotten how to win.

Himannv

International Coach
Yes, more was expected from the rest of the team. Even if we exclude the bowling, you'd find that the batting hasn't fired as much as we'd expect it to and has cost us games on a fair number of occasions.

There has been so much reliance on Sanga and Mahela to provide the big scores and Sanga hasn't really been in his absolute scintilating best. Mathews seems to have worked himself into form but at a cost. Samaraweera seems to have lost his place in the side and Dilshan has been woeful barring one or two knocks.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What are the stats from prior to Murali's retirement, for matches that Murali didn't play in due to injury, rest etc?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I knew that one was coming, I should have put a disclaimer. The performance shows they're not absolute ****, like the person was making them out to be.
Nah not really. It's possible to be good in ODIs and absolutely **** in Tests. Want a good example?

The current Sri Lankan team.

Incidentally, Murali played the World Cup anyway, so I'd like to kindly point you to your own opening post to see the pattern here.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't understand this thread.

Sri Lanka have copped plenty of criticism recently for their bowling attack. What can they do? Even throughout Muralitharan's career they have always struggled for a decent support cast of bowlers (Vass the only bowler with claims to being world class).

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Nah not really. It's possible to be good in ODIs and absolutely **** in Tests. Want a good example?

The current Sri Lankan team.

Incidentally, Murali played the World Cup anyway, so I'd like to kindly point you to your own opening post to see the pattern here.
Thanks for making me see the light. Murali was the greatest the bowler who happened to be in the ****tiest team. :laugh:
Edit: Why can't I delete the thread?

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
For some perspective, Murali's last 11 matches, they won 5 and lost 2.
That's not what I was getting at though. It's possible that the earlier teams managed to win a few matches despite Murali's absence, which would mean that the current team is rubbish in comparison even with discounting the Murali factor.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
That's not what I was getting at though. It's possible that the earlier teams managed to win a few matches despite Murali's absence, which would mean that the current team is rubbish in comparison even with discounting the Murali factor.
Good point. The best stat I can look up is SL's record before Murali's debut. From 1981 to 1991, they had Win/Loss ratio of around 2. They did have ****loads of drawn tests though.

Last edited: