• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowler batting skills

weeman27bob

International Regular
In which case:

Pace bowlers

Average of pace bowlers' averages: 13.71
Total pace bowler runs/total pace bowler outs: 13.79

Spin bowlers

Average of spin bowlers' averages: 18.07
Total spin bowler runs/total spin bowler outs: 21.79

It's worth noting that if you don't count Vettori, the spinners numbers drop to 17.2 and 18.8

All bowlers have taken 1 wicket at least in 2011.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a semi-related aside, it's interesting that despite it generally being accepted that spinners need to chip in more with the willow, practically all the great all-rounders to a man have bowled seam-up. I guess Rhodes and Benuad are the two closest to the first rank amongst the twirlymen.

I know Sobers & Greig (and Botham once, apparently) occasionally gave it a tweak too, but their seamers were their bread and butter.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
As a semi-related aside, it's interesting that despite it generally being accepted that spinners need to chip in more with the willow, practically all the great all-rounders to a man have bowled seam-up. I guess Rhodes and Benuad are the two closest to the first rank amongst the twirlymen.

I know Sobers & Greig (and Botham once, apparently) occasionally gave it a tweak too, but their seamers were their bread and butter.
Faulkner and Mankad too. Faulkner the best of the lot, IMO.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shastri was a bit of a spinning all-rounder.

TBH, I think the recent change in the interpretation of the rules about LBW will change things a lot. Spinners have become a much more attacking threat, whilst for a long time, they often needed an extra skill.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I must confess than I tought this was a thread about general bowlers' batting skills. I don't know if spinners are usually better bats than the seamers (even if I wouldn't put Vettori's, or Flintoff's for what matters, numbers in the pictures: those are legitimate all rounders); Then, comes to my mind how bad was the indian spin quartet with the willow, but I daren't pronounce myself on this subject.

Now I don't want to HJ this thread, but I'd like to share a thought; isn't somehow the batting of the bowlers underrated? After all, in test cricket everybody gets to bat, so statistically-wise, over a long period a combination of a 45avg batsman and a 15avg bowler would contribute to the team just as much as a combination of a 55 bat and 5 bowl. Of course I don't want to say that bowlers should be picked on the basis of their batting, that would be silly, but when it comes down to 2 similar bowlers, shouldn't this be also in the picture?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Гурин;2666566 said:
I must confess than I tought this was a thread about general bowlers' batting skills. I don't know if spinners are usually better bats than the seamers (even if I wouldn't put Vettori's, or Flintoff's for what matters, numbers in the pictures: those are legitimate all rounders); Then, comes to my mind how bad was the indian spin quartet with the willow, but I daren't pronounce myself on this subject.

Now I don't want to HJ this thread, but I'd like to share a thought; isn't somehow the batting of the bowlers underrated? After all, in test cricket everybody gets to bat, so statistically-wise, over a long period a combination of a 45avg batsman and a 15avg bowler would contribute to the team just as much as a combination of a 55 bat and 5 bowl. Of course I don't want to say that bowlers should be picked on the basis of their batting, that would be silly, but when it comes down to 2 similar bowlers, shouldn't this be also in the picture?
They're extreme examples though, no-one will have those sorts of numbers.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Actually not so extreme, is not that uncommon to find similar bowlers who have a difference in their batting averages that's around 10; and that count for the team just as much as if you replace a batsman who's averaging 45 with one averaging 55 (again, over a long time span). I'm just saying it's something should not be underrated too much. (while I was writing this, the three words "Nathan, Hauritz, Ashes" came to my mind)

Ah, maybe you misunderstood, the averages I was was referring to for bowlers are BATTING averages, not bowling. I should have specified that.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Гурин;2666566 said:
isn't somehow the batting of the bowlers underrated? After all, in test cricket everybody gets to bat, so statistically-wise, over a long period a combination of a 45avg batsman and a 15avg bowler would contribute to the team just as much as a combination of a 55 bat and 5 bowl. Of course I don't want to say that bowlers should be picked on the basis of their batting, that would be silly, but when it comes down to 2 similar bowlers, shouldn't this be also in the picture?
I agree that lower order runs are incredibly important.

That said, I'd take averages of 55 + 5 rather than 44 + 15 every time, because the upper order batsmen will have more innings, so greater weight needs to be given to their averages.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Гурин;2666574 said:
Actually not so extreme, is not that uncommon to find similar bowlers who have a difference in their batting averages that's around 10; and that count for the team just as much as if you replace a batsman who's averaging 45 with one averaging 55 (again, over a long time span). I'm just saying it's something should not be underrated too much. (while I was writing this, the three words "Nathan, Hauritz, Ashes" came to my mind)

Ah, maybe you misunderstood, the averages I was was referring to for bowlers are BATTING averages, not bowling. I should have specified that.
That makes much more sense, although IMO there's a much bigger gap between a bowler who averages 23 to his teammate who averages 33 than there is between a 45 averaging batsman and a 55 averaging batsman.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
That makes much more sense, although IMO there's a much bigger gap between a bowler who averages 23 to his teammate who averages 33 than there is between a 45 averaging batsman and a 55 averaging batsman.
That's interesting, maybe it's just me being a stathead (difficult to be otherwise here, laggy streams being our only possible source of fresh cricket), but I don't agree 100% with that (given that the two players compared in the hypothesis played the same opposition, so the runs have the same value); while it's true that top order averages counts something more because there are more innings to be played there, an important (I underline this, I wrote important, not ultimate) gauge for me to judge the batting of team is the sum of all the batting averages in the side. Yeah, I know, there are Averages and averages, and you get a score for 11 wickets instead of 10, but it's the same for all teams; to me, a sum of the 11 players being 350 is equally effective whichever way is achieved, even if it involves a strong tail or not (well, apart from certain extremizations), while I have the perception that many just stop their batting analysis at n.7 (maybe 8), and that's wrong.

To be clear, I know that to go from 15 to 25 is technically much easier that from 50 to 60 (just like a car needs much more HP to go from 200 to 250 than from 150 to 200) and of course I don't pretend to be the carrier of the truth, that's just how I see it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not necessarily, because as Zaremba points out, a top order batsman will have more oppertunities to use those extra runs.

Then there's the fact that how good a tailender is with the willow isn't as well represented by average as most batsmen, because the role they're expected to fulfill* is often more important than how many runs they score.

*e.g. nightwatchman, scoring quickly to get you past a certain point, or playing in partnership with a batsman and only needing to stick around for him.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not necessarily, because as Zaremba points out, a top order batsman will have more oppertunities to use those extra runs.

Then there's the fact that how good a tailender is with the willow isn't as well represented by average as most batsmen, because the role they're expected to fulfill* is often more important than how many runs they score.

*e.g. nightwatchman, scoring quickly to get you past a certain point, or playing in partnership with a batsman and only needing to stick around for him.
Absolutely, but the batsmen also often have to play according to the situation; any batsman (apart from Laxman) will have a different approach if he's batting either with a n.3 or a n.10; but in test cricket, more often than not you're asked to just play your natural game, that's why averages of the last 40ish innings of a player could be considered very good indicators of his overall batting ability

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In which case:

Pace bowlers

Average of pace bowlers' averages: 13.71
Total pace bowler runs/total pace bowler outs: 13.79

Spin bowlers

Average of spin bowlers' averages: 18.07
Total spin bowler runs/total spin bowler outs: 21.79

It's worth noting that if you don't count Vettori, the spinners numbers drop to 17.2 and 18.8

All bowlers have taken 1 wicket at least in 2011.
Thanks for this...

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Aha, this is confusing, I was talking about bowling average when referring to the bowlers.