• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram vs. Waqar Younis vs. Imran Khan

How would you rate them in terms of bowling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You might wanna talk about how bowler friendly that era is if you wanna bring that kind of stuff. Besides, Sri Lanka were the minnows back then.
Probably you have lost track by now, but that bolded argument makes Viv Richards a great batsman for punishing these fast bowlers in the "bwoler friendly" era. ;)

EDIT: wrong thread :unsure:

Last edited:

BlazeDragon

Banned
Probably you have lost track by now, but that bolded argument makes Viv Richards a great batsman for punishing these fast bowlers in the "bwoler friendly" era. ;)

EDIT: wrong thread :unsure:
Well I never denied that Viv Richards is a great batsmen then did I? All I said was there would be others that are better than him especially considering he faced less great attacks in his era than most other greats. Don't see how that makes him not great here.

Its as right as it gets. If wanna bring up era here do it all the way don't only bring up things that benefits you and ignore the downsides.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I've wondered for some time about the ideal players for an away match v Mars.

The dust would indeed tend to help the spinners. However, spinners, and particularly spinners from the sub-continent prone to seeking excuses, might struggle to grip the ball in the chilly temperatures (averaging -10C in daytime).

The thin atmosphere means that you can forget about swing, but out-and-out pace would be effective - the ball would really whizz through.

However the low gravity would exaggerate the bounce - tall bowlers may have to bowl a very full length or risk watching every ball sailing over the stumps.

Ultimately I think you want short, quick bowlers who are not reliant on swing, preferably from northern climes. Someone like Harold Larwood.
:laugh:

However, the first name I remember for 'short, quick bowlers who are not reliant on swing' is Mohammad Sami. But yeah, he'll give in to the low temperature.

What about batsmen though? I guess low gravity would help six-hitters like Sobers much much more than boundary-hitters like Tendulkar and Bradman (though the last two can change their natural game to suit the conditions, shouldn't be problem for them too)...

Last edited:

Winsome

Cricket Spectator
Imran > Waqar > Wasim

Well! This is very tough question to rate them we've to choose best, better and good bowler.
If we look at Imran he was a player not only a bowler but also batsman and he brought passion in cricket. His average at peak was just under 15. None can touch at their time of peak to his avg. He had the ability to change the situation of game at any time when he wished. Waqar's avg at his peak was under 21 but is strike rate was marvelous 38 none can touch this strike rate. He was speedstar before Shoaib's arrival. He was the master of swing and reverse swing yorker. Wasim's avg at his peak was under 20. He was the bowler who lifted Fast bowling after Lillee, Marshal and Imran. His run was short but his action was very excellent and versatile. He could bowl at any state of game. His achievement in WC 92 cannot be forgotten.
Wasim picked more wickets in test and Odi but in my point of view Imran and Waqar superior than Wasim.
Mine sequence would be
Imran > Waqar > Wasim.

Winsome

Cricket Spectator
Comparison of bowlers.

I've select every bowler's peak 6 years to see their performance and results are;

10. Ambrose
189 wkts at an avg of 20.24 with a s.r of 50.8 (1993-1998).
9. Lillee
203 wkts at an avg of 22.17 with a s.r of 45.9 (76-81)

8. Holding
151 wkts at an avg of 21.61 with a s.r 45.9 (81-86)
7. McGrath
286 wkts at an avg of 20.5 with a S/R of 48.1 from 1995 to 2000.
6. Wasim Akram
195 wkts at an avg of 19.87 with a strike rate of 46.4 (1990-95).
5. Hadlee
222 wkts at an avg of 18.76 with a s.r of 46.1 (83-88).
4. Donald
233 wkts at an avg of 19.88
with a s.r of 43.1 (95-00).
3. Marshal
238 wkts at an avg of 18.90 with s.r of 43.1
2. Imran Khan
154 wkts wkts at an avg of 14.85 with a s.r of 40.9 (81-86)
1. Waqar Younus
194 wkts at an avg of 20.02 with a s.r of 38.0 (90-95)

The strike rate of Waqar and the average of Imran was unmatchable at their time of peak.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a) why 6 years and b) the ranking appears to just be subjective, rendering the quoting of figures pointless.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Absolutely true. You are in gun form in this thread.

For example, he was clearly not giving his 100% in Australia in his worst series down-under (don't remember which year it was, but Gilchrist was involved in a famous chase in that series). I mean anyone who saw Wasim at his best (and understand cricket) would say that he was not bowling at his 50%. He gave in completely to the flat pitches and gun batting lineup, and almost stopped trying...was bowling straight lollypops outside off-stump for a full day as I remember (and similar in the full series). It was not like he was not fully fit or something.

Later on, in an interview with Harsha Bhogle, he admitted that he wasn't enjoying his cricket. But that's not an excuse I'd love to hear from my favorite bowler. That series made it clear in my mind that I would always rate the likes of McGrath or Imran over him (let alone the Hadlees and Marshalls and Barnes of this world). It was not the lack of performance that bothered me (everyone has a pathetic series or two..or more), it was the lack of intent and purpose and commitment from this absolute champion that I didn't quite love.
99 Hobart?