• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2011-12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you should treat one of our best performed batsmen with the respect he deserves imo

Spikey

Should go back to Queensland so he can bat three IMO.
that loan system they talked about in the argus review sure would be handy right now.

Just worked out our team for the season:

1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Katich
4. Smith
5. Hauritz
6. Nev
7. O'Keefe
8. Cummins
9. Strac
10. Haze
11. Copeland/Dougeh etc

:ph34r:

Also I realised the other day Randy-Petes at one stage or another will play a game with all of Katich, Monty and Hauritz. Possible at the same time as a Vic-QLD match featuring Holland, Maxwell and Boyce :ph34r:

adub

International Captain
SOK getting the big C is a big surprise, but I do think he's a great candidate. Just never thought they'd knock back having Kat lead the side around one last time (or two). The Blues selectors are certainly sending a message to the incoming Australian selectors about the qualities they see in O'Keefe.

It does make the selection dilemmas even more pronounced, especially if Moises does well as noted above (although I don't think he'll get much Shield time). Even with the Australian players away there are more players than spots for them.

I do believe we'll go with the three spinners and three quicks mostly and Nevil at 6, but there are going to be some quality guys running around in grade if we don't get a big injury list.

For next week I'd be going with something like

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith
Nevil
Hauritz
O'Keefe
Copeland
Hazelwood
Starc

Moises serving the drinks and Jaques being desperately unluckly.

adub

International Captain
Good effort from Hogan at the WACA. What would the other states do without NSW 2nd XI players? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SOK getting the big C is a big surprise, but I do think he's a great candidate. Just never thought they'd knock back having Kat lead the side around one last time (or two). The Blues selectors are certainly sending a message to the incoming Australian selectors about the qualities they see in O'Keefe.

It does make the selection dilemmas even more pronounced, especially if Moises does well as noted above (although I don't think he'll get much Shield time). Even with the Australian players away there are more players than spots for them.

I do believe we'll go with the three spinners and three quicks mostly and Nevil at 6, but there are going to be some quality guys running around in grade if we don't get a big injury list.

For next week I'd be going with something like

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith
Nevil
Hauritz
O'Keefe
Copeland
Hazelwood
Starc

Moises serving the drinks and Jaques being desperately unluckly.
I really disagree with the policy of picking lots of bowlers just because we've got them tbh. I'd much prefer to have our best four bowlers player, whoever we decide they are, Smith developing his leg spin as the fifth bowler and five other batsmen plus Nevill playing. If Smith isn't playing for whatever reason then I'm happy enough with Hauritz or SOK at 7 but as it is I'd definitely be picking Jaques.

Spikey

Smith won't be available at all while SOK will only play in the shield match if he gets sent home after the first T20. Our Oder is on the 15th and the Shield 17th. Last T20 match in SA is the 16th. So the team for the first match is easy. It's when Cummins, SOK and Smith return things get tough.

Hughes
Jaques
Usman
Maddinson (They'll have to decide whether they want to open with Maddinson all season or bat him here all season. I've gone middle order)
Katich (He'll float around in the batting order)
Moises
Nev
Hauritz
Copeland
Haze
Starc
12th: Big Ben

Presumably Katch will captain, and then when SOK returns they'll announce the hand over

Last edited:

Sylvester

State Captain
Interesting but at least that means SOK will be a shoe in for a spot and probably bowling himself quite a bit.

adub

International Captain
I really disagree with the policy of picking lots of bowlers just because we've got them tbh. I'd much prefer to have our best four bowlers player, whoever we decide they are, Smith developing his leg spin as the fifth bowler and five other batsmen plus Nevill playing. If Smith isn't playing for whatever reason then I'm happy enough with Hauritz or SOK at 7 but as it is I'd definitely be picking Jaques.
It kinda works the other way too. ie we shouldn't pick a whole bunch of batsmen just because we have them. Not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but it's not straight forward either. We should pick the team that will give us the best chance of winning the match. At Perth or Brisbane you'd probably think three spinners is overkill but everywhere else I'd see both SOK and Haurie as being in our top 4 bowlers (and last seasons stats back that up). Do you then go in with just the two quicks? I'm not sure you would especially considering how well both spinners go with the bat. If you did go with two front line quicks then you'd still be sorely tempted to include Henriques as insurance anyway.

And even then if you include Jaques what about Rohrer? It's just a case that we have amazing depth at the moment and some guys who would go close to Captaining other states will be playing Grade.

Spikey

Hughes
Jaques
Usman
Maddinson (They'll have to decide whether they want to open with Maddinson all season or bat him here all season. I've gone middle order)
Moises
Nev
Hauritz
Copeland
Haze
Starc
So future changes include Hughes out (100%), Copeland out (We'll go 75%) and one of Usman/Warner out (100%). Returns include SOK (for Moises?), whoever out of Usman/Warner, Cummins (Copeland...of course Cummins may not deserve a FC spot) and Smith (???). Perhaps Maddinson should open and Jaques be the one in the firing line....

Then there's the whole Dougeh situation.

And of course come March everyone will be injured

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Smith won't be available at all while SOK will only play in the shield match if he gets sent home after the first T20. Our Oder is on the 15th and the Shield 17th. Last T20 match in SA is the 16th. So the team for the first match is easy. It's when Cummins, SOK and Smith return things get tough.

Hughes
Jaques
Usman
Moises
Nev
Hauritz
Copeland
Haze
Starc

Presumably Katch will captain, and then when SOK returns they'll announce the hand over
doh! completely forgot about SOK and Smith in SA. You're right that does make things much easier for the SA Shield game. I'd agree with what you've got except I think Maddinson will definitely open (Jaques is pretty much in the middle order from now on) and I'd play Rohrer instead of Moises (but the NSW selectors probably won't).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jaques would have to be the unluckiest player since Martin Love. He averages in the high 40s in international cricket as an opener, on the back of averaging 50+ in domestic cricket for years, gets injured and then six months later is not only out of international thinking but now is being talked about as not even keeping his state spot!

Last edited:

benchmark00

Jaques would have to be the unluckiest player since Martin Love. He averages in the high 40s in international cricket as an opener, on the back of averaging 50+ in domestic cricket for years, gets injured and then six months later is not only out of international thinking but is being talked about as not even keeping his state spot!
In his last test innings he made a century.

Which is impressive, but he's no Jason Gillespie who made an unbeaten double century in his last innings, capping off a man of the series performance, but was then dropped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It kinda works the other way too. ie we shouldn't pick a whole bunch of batsmen just because we have them.
No, we should pick a whole bunch of batsmen because it balances the side better, and batsmen are not a diseconomy of scale (at least not as much as bowlers are).

The idea behind playing so many ****ing bowlers seems to be purely to get those particular players into the side, rather than because it'll give us the best chance of winning.

Spikey

Jaques would have to be the unluckiest player since Martin Love. He averages in the high 40s in international cricket as an opener, on the back of averaging 50+ in domestic cricket for years, gets injured and then six months later is not only out of international thinking but is being talked about as not even keeping his state spot!
Tbf, he was awful last season and then out of nowhere got two tons in a match, so talk about his spot is justified imo. It could go either way really, he could be out of the NSW team by seasons' end or he could rally like Katich and get himself back into the aus frame. I just think if it comes down to Jaques v Maddinson which it looks like it will Jaques is gonna be forced out

Spikey

No, we should pick a whole bunch of batsmen because it balances the side better, and batsmen are not a diseconomy of scale (at least not as much as bowlers are).

The idea behind playing so many ****ing bowlers seems to be purely to get those particular players into the side, rather than because it'll give us the best chance of winning.
'We can't afford to have the states focusing on silverware'

We have to play all the bowlers. ALL OF THEM.