• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So which English bowler will hit the 400 mark first?

Xuhaib

International Coach
England is the only top 8 side without a bowler who has hit the 400 mark, can any of the current lot do it?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well if Anderson continues the last two years for another three, he should get there. I don't think that's implausible. Even if he significantly drops a level, he should get to it if he keeps playing for another five years.

Bowlers over 30 tend to get very rough treatment, and I expect it's fairly likely that within 3-5 years Jimmy will have a poor season and someone will have decided he's "lost his nip" or some such. Injury also likely to be a problem at some stage. So I don't know.

Of the younger bowlers, Broad is the most likely candidate, but that's only if he really can be consistently world class between series. That's still not something he's ever done.

bagapath

International Captain
the day stuart broad picks up his 400th wicket in test cricket i will wear lipstick and thong and offer pleasure for free to every gay guy in town.

pskov

International 12th Man
Swann maybe?
Swann is deceptively old because he broke into the test team at a relatively late age, at 32 I'm not sure he'll play long enough to take 400 wickets (he has 153 at the moment).

Anderson is only 29 and has 240 test wickets so barring injury he could conceivably get to 400 wickets in three years. Since his recall to the test team in 2008 he's averaged 4.12 wickets per test, rising up to 4.8 in the last two calendar years. So if we give him 4.5 wickets a match that would mean he needs to play another 36 tests to get to 400 career scalps.

England are scheduled to play 37 tests in the next three years, not counting the ICC Test World Championship in 2013 which England may play additional tests in depending on how they sort it out, so there's a good chance he could do it.

Incidentally Steve Finn is the darkhorse in this 'race', he's only 22 and has already taken 50 wickets in tests.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Swann is deceptively old because he broke into the test team at a relatively late age, at 32 I'm not sure he'll play long enough to take 400 wickets (he has 153 at the moment).

Anderson is only 29 and has 240 test wickets so barring injury he could conceivably get to 400 wickets in three years. Since his recall to the test team in 2008 he's averaged 4.12 wickets per test, rising up to 4.8 in the last two calendar years. So if we give him 4.5 wickets a match that would mean he needs to play another 36 tests to get to 400 career scalps.

England are scheduled to play 37 tests in the next three years, not counting the ICC Test World Championship in 2013 which England may play additional tests in depending on how they sort it out, so there's a good chance he could do it.

Incidentally Steve Finn is the darkhorse in this 'race', he's only 22 and has already taken 50 wickets in tests.
Problem for Finn is that I don't see him being a huge Test regular for a good while yet.

FBU

International Debutant
I see Anderson being the first. Don't think he will get to 450 though. Finn, years later should be the second.

Was wondering if Anderson will get to 300 ODI wickets.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I see Anderson being the first. Don't think he will get to 450 though. Finn, years later should be the second.

Was wondering if Anderson will get to 300 ODI wickets.
I doubt that he will, unless he has an incredible couple of years in the format I don't see him playing enough ODIs to pass that milestone.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
a legend to english fans, sure why not? you can have him.

but included amongst the cricketing elite? i sincerely hope not.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
a legend to english fans, sure why not? you can have him.

but included amongst the cricketing elite? i sincerely hope not.
What makes Kapil Dev a bona fide legend other than the fact that he's been the only Indian pace bowler to not be completely hopeless?

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
What makes Kapil Dev a bona fide legend other than the fact that he's been the only Indian pace bowler to not be completely hopeless?
are you agreeing with me, or deflecting?

as to your question, i think the indians could do a better job of explaining that to me, since its so obvious to me i doubt i will do a good job of it.