• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict Ricky Ponting's test future.

What will Ponting's final test average be?

• Total voters

Ruckus

International Captain
Three things to predict:

1. When will he retire from test cricket? Will there be a batting rebirth, or will his form continue to wither away until the end?
2. How many test centuries will he end up with?
3. What will his final test average be? (See poll).

Obviously very hard to predict, but it's all in good fun...just give it your best shot and in a couple of years (if that) it might actually be suprising upon reflection.

For reference, his current average is 53.13

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I reckon he will hit form again. He looked in pretty good form in the Sri Lanka ODI series and is a very determined guy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the downturn's being going on too long to realisitically call it a blip now.

I've no doubt he can do a job for Oz still, but doubt whether he'll touch the heights of his peak. Since the dawn of 2009 he's played 50 innings in 27 tests for just two tons at an average of 37.29.

For me the question is whether he'll want to go on being a merely very decent test batsman for an extended period.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Three things to predict:

1. When will he retire from test cricket? Will there be a batting rebirth, or will his form continue to wither away until the end?
2. How many test centuries will he end up with?
3. What will his final test average be? (See poll).

Obviously very hard to predict, but it's all in good fun...just give it your best shot and in a couple of years (if that) it might actually be suprising upon reflection.

Edit: I forgot to add an irrelevent poll option...but by the way things are going the >57 option will ...er..probably suffice. Should be another option, 56-57, as well...but just assume the 55-56 option is really 55-57 (unless mods can add the other one in?)
Options added.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will become an umpire then match referee, and not brook any argument. A sideways glance will lead to suspensions being handed out.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
he will make a killing promoting a radical new hair transplant system, utilising spare hair from his own forearms and palms

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Stop being so damn stubborn Punter. Put the glossy shots away and grind out some runs. It helps no one getting out for fabulous 30s

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Has a South African tour to come as well to consider.

Reckon he'll end up with an average of 51 or thereabouts.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think it's a conscious decision tbh.
And...he clearly hasn't lost his off stump like Hussey did for a couple years or have huge technical flaws (re)exposed.

I can't be bothered looking up the statistics, but I'd really like to know what % of his dismissals would be caught. He seems desperate to get bat on ball and runs on the board as quickly as possible.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A couple times he has been set and gifted it away by wafting away outside off stump or playing at deliveries that could be easily left.
Yeah, but I mean I don't necessarily think he's consciously going at the ball harder than before. Not saying he isn't doing it, just that I doubt he'd be thinking "Hmm... Boxing Day, 2-25, Ashes on the line - I'll have a lash" as an example.

Xuhaib

International Coach
He's battling just like Sachin did during the 2006-2007 period when he was getting in looking good and then getting out this was followed by a period of 3 years where he went medieval on everybody's ass lets see whether Punter can replicate it.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
He's battling just like Sachin did during the 2006-2007 period when he was getting in looking good and then getting out this was followed by a period of 3 years where he went medieval on everybody's ass lets see whether Punter can replicate it.
yea tendulkar wasn't very good from like 03-07 so even 4 year dips are possible to come out of. and yea pontings dip started in 07 i think so 07-11. the only thing is that age is not at all on pontings side.