• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict Ricky Ponting's test future.

What will Ponting's final test average be?

• Total voters

Ruckus

International Captain
Ponting and Tendulkar are very different batsmen in terms of how they have scored their runs across their careers, that's for sure. Tendulkar has only had 1 period in his entire career where he has failed to score a century in 15 or more innings (17 innings to be precise, mostly during 2006). Contrastingly, Ponting has failed to score a century in 15 or more innings a whopping 5 times throughout his career. The exact numbers are 15, 18, 20, 16, 24, with the last being his current run of sub-100 scores. So if history is anything to go by, it might be a glimmer of hope for Ponting, but even still his current run (which is yet to end) is already comfortably the worst of his entire career. Also, if you take out the double century he scored against Pakistan recently (where he should have been caught by Aamer on 0 after mistiming a hook/pull shot) he hasn't scored a century -get this- for 41 innings!

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Ponting and Tendulkar are very different batsmen in terms of how they have scored their runs across their careers, that's for sure. Tendulkar has only had 1 period in his entire career where he has failed to score a century in 15 or more innings (17 innings to be precise, mostly during 2006). Contrastingly, Ponting has failed to score a century in 15 or more innings a whopping 5 times throughout his career. The exact numbers are 15, 18, 20, 16, 24, with the last being his current run of sub-100 scores. So if history is anything to go by, it might be a glimmer of hope for Ponting, but even still his current run (which is yet to end) is already comfortably the worst of his entire career. Also, if you take out the double century he scored against Pakistan recently (where he should have been caught by Aamer on 0 after mistiming a hook/pull shot) he hasn't scored a century -get this- for 41 innings!
Tendulkar has been scoring runs solidly for the past four years. His slump, if you could call it that, came early enough for a resurrection to be worth while as he's averaged 60 in the past four years.

Punter is nearly 37 and it just doesn't seem to be happening for him. The clock must be ticking really loudly in his ear.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's battling just like Sachin did during the 2006-2007 period when he was getting in looking good and then getting out this was followed by a period of 3 years where he went medieval on everybody's ass lets see whether Punter can replicate it.
He's also older than Sachin was, though....

Top_Cat

Honestly reckon Sachin had a lot more to motivate him when he was going through his slump. He had the possibility of a first world cup win and getting his side to number 1. Not coincidentally, in my view, Since India's WC win Sachin's looked a bit meh, some glorious drives in England aside. Ponting did everything he probably wanted in the game years ago so you'd imagine it must be a little tougher to get himself fully up for each and every game. Can't think of anything he hasn't done as a player that he'd be looking to do in the next year.

Inb4 anyone says 'Score a ton in India'. I doubt that'd be enough.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly reckon Sachin had a lot more to motivate him when he was going through his slump. He had the possibility of a first world cup win and getting his side to number 1. Not coincidentally, in my view, Since India's WC win Sachin's looked a bit meh, some glorious drives in England aside. Ponting did everything he probably wanted in the game years ago so you'd imagine it must be a little tougher to get himself fully up for each and every game. Can't think of anything he hasn't done as a player that he'd be looking to do in the next year.

He has one anyway.

Ruckus

International Captain

I don't really think that's the case. Reckon Ponting is the kind of player where a prolonged slump in form, in itself, is only going to push his motivation to a peak. Ponting usually puts emphasis on the importance of the team winning, but the bottom line is he also highly competitive as an individual. He would have an enormous amount of pride in being one of the best, and I don't think he has taken failing so often lightly at all. You can see it his conditioning - he is in probably the best shape of his career and he is training as hard as ever. You can also see when he gets out these days he is becoming increasingly frustrated. Not wanting to bring tennis into this, but I would liken what Ponting is going through at the moment as similar to Federer - both were at the top (or near it) at some stage, and both are now struggling to stay there. Both are near the end of their careers age-wise, but are still trying as hard as ever to get back to where they were, albeit without much success.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't really think that's the case. Reckon Ponting is the kind of player where a prolonged slump in form, in itself, is only going to push his motivation to a peak. Ponting usually puts emphasis on the importance of the team winning, but the bottom line is he also highly competitive as an individual. He would have an enormous amount of pride in being one of the best, and I don't think he has taken failing so often lightly at all. You can see it his conditioning - he is in probably the best shape of his career and he is training as hard as ever. You can also see when he gets out these days he is becoming increasingly frustrated. Not wanting to bring tennis into this, but I would liken what Ponting is going through at the moment as similar to Federer - both were at the top (or near it) at some stage, and both are now struggling to stay there. Both are near the end of their careers age-wise, but are still trying as hard as ever to get back to where they were, albeit without much success.
Motivation and conditioning aren't enough - he's spent most of the last 2 years looking as if he's in prime nick but still finding ways to get himself out and fail to go on with a good start - something that just didn't happen when Ponting was at his peak. Back then, when Ponting got himself going, you booked him in for a big score.

Ruckus

International Captain
Motivation and conditioning aren't enough - he's spent most of the last 2 years looking as if he's in prime nick but still finding ways to get himself out and fail to go on with a good start - something that just didn't happen when Ponting was at his peak. Back then, when Ponting got himself going, you booked him in for a big score.
Yeah I agree with that, I was disagreeing with the idea that he has lacked motivation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've not had the greatest luck in predicting these things. I thought SRT was done and he wasn't. I thought Dravid was done and he wasn't. I thought sehwag would never make it back into the side again and he did.

So I'm going to go against my gut and say he'll find his groove again.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I've not had the greatest luck in predicting these things. I thought SRT was done and he wasn't. I thought Dravid was done and he wasn't. I thought sehwag would never make it back into the side again and he did.

So I'm going to go against my gut and say he'll find his groove again.
same here.

when was the last time he scored a 50 in tests?

flibbertyjibber

1 more test and that because Marsh will be dropped due to injury as they can't risk him. Gone after that as he is gone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing that I will say is that ACB would not hesitate to drop anyone if they thought they were no longer deserving. It's a meritocracy and I admire it (even if we disagree with their decisions). Bcci on the othe hand do have to take into consideration other things - while Dravid might be droppable, SRT would be very very tricky to drop if he decides to not go out quietly (which would be against his character but still). Of course ACB don't have to worry about riots :p. If Ponting were Indian he'd be given a longer leash, so being in Australia might work against him as I dont see ponting going back to fc cricket until he refinds his form and trying to get back into the side, even if he was sure his problems are fixable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One thing that I will say is that ACB would not hesitate to drop anyone if they thought they were no longer deserving. It's a meritocracy and I admire it (even if we disagree with their decisions). Bcci on the othe hand do have to take into consideration other things - while Dravid might be droppable, SRT would be very very tricky to drop if he decides to not go out quietly (which would be against his character but still). Of course ACB don't have to worry about riots :p. If Ponting were Indian he'd be given a longer leash, so being in Australia might work against him as I dont see ponting going back to fc cricket until he refinds his form and trying to get back into the side, even if he was sure his problems are fixable.
Nah, it's probably harder to get in this Australian side than it is to be dropped from it, if you're a batsman anyway.

Marcus North is the only batsman in the last 2 years to have been dropped for poor form, despite Australia's various batting woes in that time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think his average will slide too much. If he keeps not performing he will get dropped before his average is impacted greatly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, it's probably harder to get in this Australian side than it is to be dropped from it, if you're a batsman anyway.

Marcus North is the only batsman in the last 2 years to have been dropped for poor form, despite Australia's various batting woes in that time.
Yea but I'm saying the reason you would not be dropped is because the selectors thought you could turn it around. Even if all the selectors agrees that srt was done and wouls never turn it around - he still would not be dropped right away without taking other factors into consideration.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
He probably only has one test left unless they decide to give him a farewell series against New Zealand.