• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Regarding Fred Trueman

Jacknife

International Captain
I rate him very highly one of the greatest ever but not unsurprisingly with not a lot of footage around of him, he gets pushed to the back of queue in favor of more modern fast bowlers.

JBMAC

State Captain
Definitely one of England's greats.....used in tandem with Brian Staham formed a lethal opening bowling partnership. Definitely equal as a pair as Lillee/Thommo etc etc

Himannv

International Coach
I rate him quite highly as well. Probably the best English bowler along with Barnes and possibly Larwood.

JBMAC

State Captain
from what I know Statham was not quite as good as Trueman right?
Pretty much on a par even if you consider "the bloody stats".
Trueman 307 test wickets @ econ rate of 2.62 over 67 Tests in 14 years
Statham 252 test wickets@ econ rate of 2.34 over 70 Tests in the same time period

So, the magic figures(lol) show not much between them BUT it was together in tandem they put the fear of god into opposing batsmen

JBMAC

State Captain
As far as I know, Statham was pretty much a support act. Was he something more?
IMPO and of what I saw they were a perfect foil for each other. As for the question was one better.....mmmmmm....maybe Trueman would get the nudge over the line...Just

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, pretty much like Ambrose and Walsh I think. Calling Walsh just a support act won't be doing justice to him, but yeah Ambrose was the better bowler overall perhaps.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I've read, modern comparisons might be
Statham - McGrath
Trueman - Steyn.

I'm not saying Statham was as good as McGrath, btw, I'm just saying that he's the obvious comparison. Accurate, uncomplicated, and relentless.

Trueman a bit quicker, getting quite big outswing at a good pace.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Like most forumers, I've never seen Trueman live. But do rate him very, very highly. He's in the top pantheon of new ball bowlers for mine. My feeling is that his (mis)adventures with the microphone after his retirement as a cricketer may have soured some people's opinions of him. As a fast/swing bowler, he was par excellence.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
from what I know Statham was not quite as good as Trueman right?
As far as I know, Statham was pretty much a support act. Was he something more?
IMPO and of what I saw they were a perfect foil for each other. As for the question was one better.....mmmmmm....maybe Trueman would get the nudge over the line...Just
Yeah, Trueman was and still is generally considered the greater of the two, although interestingly Tom Graveney - who played plenty of cricket with both men - in his book of Top 10s rated Brian Statham the fourth greatest post-war fast bowler (in 1982), ahead of Trueman who he ranked fifth.

Both all-time greats, no question, and certainly one of the very greatest ever new ball combinations.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trueman took 307 Test wickets at 21.57
Statham took 252 Test wickets at 24.84
And Trueman always got choice of ends, and Statham usually didn't

At First Class level Trueman took 2304 at 18.29 and Statham 2260 at 16.37
When Trueman always got choice of ends and Statham usually (but not always, obviously) did

Therefore this unbiased observer asserts George>Fiery Fred

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lillee was ranked number 1 in that list I suppose?
Number 3 actually. Graveney's top ten greatest post-war fast bowlers (in 1982) were:

1. Ray Lindwall
2. Wes Hall
3. Dennis Lillee
4. Brian Statham
5. Fred Trueman
6. Michael Holding
7. Keith Miller
8. Frank Tyson
9. Andy Roberts
10. Alan Davidson

weeman27bob

International Regular
Although there probably isn't as much "discussion" in these sort of threads as some others, when you're really aware only of the name of these players it's really very interesting to read about them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
A bloody legend.

Trueman took 307 Test wickets at 21.57
Statham took 252 Test wickets at 24.84
And Trueman always got choice of ends, and Statham usually didn't

At First Class level Trueman took 2304 at 18.29 and Statham 2260 at 16.37
When Trueman always got choice of ends and Statham usually (but not always, obviously) did

Therefore this unbiased observer asserts George>Fiery Fred

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Number 3 actually. Graveney's top ten greatest post-war fast bowlers (in 1982) were:

1. Ray Lindwall
2. Wes Hall
3. Dennis Lillee
4. Brian Statham
5. Fred Trueman
6. Michael Holding
7. Keith Miller
8. Frank Tyson
9. Andy Roberts
10. Alan Davidson
Very Interesting list. A bit surprised on how high Statham and Hall, and less so Lindwall are.
I also rate Trueman very highly and rank him the elite pantheon of fast bowlers.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It is a mystery why his name is not revered moreso. In his career-span, the global SR was 80.3. To give you an indication: the SR of the 80s was 70.7; the 90s was 68.6; and the 00s was 66.

Yet his career SR was 49.4. With respect to the eras, it looks a better SR than even Waqar's.