• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Regarding Fred Trueman

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Go with a top 12 maybe ten BUT not 5
I have of course not seen him, but only read about him and looked at his stats :) Based on that I put him in top 5 after Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose and McGrath

EDIT: Apparently the cricinfo experts rate him very highly too. He found a place in their second all time XI, ahead of many other greats.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I have of course not seen him, but only read about him and looked at his stats :) Based on that I put him in top 5 after Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose and McGrath

EDIT: Apparently the cricinfo experts rate him very highly too. He found a place in their second all time XI, ahead of many other greats.
You put him ahead of the likes of Lillee, Imran, and Donald?

Himannv

International Coach
Lots of Trueman bashing going on around here. Isn't he supposed to be the greatest ever fast bowler to ever tie his shoelaces? Or something to that effect at least?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of Trueman bashing going on around here. Isn't he supposed to be the greatest ever fast bowler to ever tie his shoelaces? Or something to that effect at least?
To use his own words "t' greatest bloody fast bowler who ever drew breath"

Himannv

International Coach
To use his own words "t' greatest bloody fast bowler who ever drew breath"
Thats the one. :laugh:

I'm not sure where I've read it but it seemed that Trueman's way of training was to eat some breakfast, bowl full tilt until lunch. Have a shower and his meal and bowl full tilt again till tea. Have a breather and a cup of tea and then bowl full tilt again until the sun went down.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thats the one. :laugh:

I'm not sure where I've read it but it seemed that Trueman's way of training was to eat some breakfast, bowl full tilt until lunch. Have a shower and his meal and bowl full tilt again till tea. Have a breather and a cup of tea and then bowl full tilt again until the sun went down.
Not so - I'm pretty sure he usually bowled out sides before lunch.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bloody legend.

Well not entirely, though as bowlers I don't think you can separate 'em with a fag paper - but if the question is who is the greater I accept it has to be FST, due to his much underrated (not by himself, obv) ability with the willow, the fact that he was a very fine close catcher, and his ability to get batsmen out by sheer force of personality

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well not entirely, though as bowlers I don't think you can separate 'em with a fag paper - but if the question is who is the greater I accept it has to be FST, due to his much underrated (not by himself, obv) ability with the willow, the fact that he was a very fine close catcher, and his ability to get batsmen out by sheer force of personality
Nice one fred. :thumbsup:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)