• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Headbutting incident

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've read in an article that a batsmen in the lower grades of the Christchurch cricket competition head-butted a fielder and then another fielder threw a punch at him.

I guess Tamara should know a little more about this ridiculous piece of behaviour..but then again if its grade 5 or 6, its not really a surprise.

Craig

World Traveller
Absolutely stupid. I hope they get banned and/or sent to anger management.

Mind Garry Sobers once threatened to knock a bowlers head off who bowled him a very quick bouncer and didnt pick it up.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
First I heard was on the TV news tonight but I will try and find more out... Not much profile of the lower grades though

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Having played a few lower grade games, I can tell you its all about seeing who can get p*ssed the quickest & who can be the quickest to get into a confrontation.

Thats Auckland lower grades for you anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
That happen's in 4th grade cricket over here. If you cant hit the ball off the square, you certainly get told so.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
Last year in the Lincolnshire cricket league there was an incident involving a cricket stump and a mass brawl. I think it involved a young bowler being shoulder charged by the batsman(a grown man) as he went for a run. I then believe Mid-On who happened to be the lads uncle grabbed the stump and went for the batsman, at which point all hell broke loose. Police were called and bans were handed to all major participants in the brawl. Made me laugh anyway

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reminds me of two seasons ago when Tino Best deliberately bowled a Beamer at Graham Lloyd and Bumble threw his bat at Best in retaliation.
All great fun for all watching in these countries, but it's not uncommon for this sort of thing to happen in the subcontinent and multiple murders to be committed.
You read about it in extracts from Asian Age and other newspapers a few times every year.
Last summer Graeme told the story of when he knocked Brett Lee in the shoulder in the Sixth ODI (the one where Aus pulled-off the biggest run-chase ever, you know) when turning from running having hit him for four during his 84, and at the next Drinks-break Lee threatened to kill him if he "ever did it again".

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Swanny said:
Last year in the Lincolnshire cricket league there was an incident involving a cricket stump and a mass brawl. I think it involved a young bowler being shoulder charged by the batsman(a grown man) as he went for a run. I then believe Mid-On who happened to be the lads uncle grabbed the stump and went for the batsman, at which point all hell broke loose. Police were called and bans were handed to all major participants in the brawl. Made me laugh anyway
Louth I v S****horpe Town I

10-year-ban and Life ban, I believe.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Reminds me of two seasons ago when Tino Best deliberately bowled a Beamer at Graham Lloyd and Bumble threw his bat at Best in retaliation.
All great fun for all watching in these countries, but it's not uncommon for this sort of thing to happen in the subcontinent and multiple murders to be committed.
You read about it in extracts from Asian Age and other newspapers a few times every year.
Last summer Graeme told the story of when he knocked Brett Lee in the shoulder in the Sixth ODI (the one where Aus pulled-off the biggest run-chase ever, you know) when turning from running having hit him for four during his 84, and at the next Drinks-break Lee threatened to kill him if he "ever did it again".
Smith shouldnt be too scared. He isnt scared of his pace anyway he has a cricket bat in his hand. He only has to hit Lee in the head hard enough and Lee would be dead or in the knee and he would probably never walk again, well certainly not for a while and Greame Smith isnt a small man, he is probably taller then Brett Lee.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Well I heard it was between Sydneham and High School Old Boys. A batter being sledged once he was leaving the field head butted the fielder. Not sure what grade though.

Both those clubs are big clubs in Christchurch with High school old boys having players like Ross Taylor, Leighton Burtt, Shane Bond and Warren Wistinki. But as I said these play 1st grade, not sure what grade this was.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Tamara said:
Well I heard it was between Sydneham and High School Old Boys. A batter being sledged once he was leaving the field head butted the fielder. Not sure what grade though.

Both those clubs are big clubs in Christchurch with High school old boys having players like Ross Taylor, Leighton Burtt, Shane Bond and Warren Wistinki. But as I said these play 1st grade, not sure what grade this was.
Thats pretty sad and pathetic. By the way how is the fieldsman going? Lost his eye? Got a bruisin' on his cheek bone?:saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry for any understanding - yes, I meant Graeme Smith when I said "Graeme".
So far as I know Graham Lloyd (who retired at the end of 2002, sadly - still, Mal Loye was a worthy replacement) never batted against Brett Lee.
But no - Graeme (Smith) shouldn't be too scared of Brett Lee, I think he was just telling the story to attempt to entertain his audience.