• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Domestic Season 2011/2012

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep. While too their credit Chahar and Pankaj Singh helped them get those first innings lead bowling well.

Meanwhile the other finalists Baroda had the opposite strategy and prepared low scoring deteriorating tracks while filling the team with spinners and tight bowlers.
Surely Baroda's strategy is more beneficial in the long term for Indian cricket? It's a joke where a team can progress through a tournament because they're posting 700 in response to the opposition putting up 650.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
If anyone did not follow the match and is interested, this is Umesh Yadav's bowling from day 2.

I understand from Arjun's post that Yadav's been too short and hasn't made the batsmen play enough today.

Did send down some fairly good ones yesterday though. Was getting the ball to bounce awkwardly at times on a placid pitch and rapped Chopra's gloves a few times. It's good that he was able to top it off with two wickets too.

On the whole, it's quite clear that Vinay Kumar should be the next incumbent. With Praveen already in the test team, Vinay, in my mind, is the best seamer in the nation who hasn't got a chance. He's done brilliantly at the f/c level and has enough bowling skill and control to be able to make a mark. Gotta try him sooner rather than later.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Surely Baroda's strategy is more beneficial in the long term for Indian cricket? It's a joke where a team can progress through a tournament because they're posting 700 in response to the opposition putting up 650.
Neither strategy is good for Indian cricket. Baroda's cricket has headed south in the last 4-5 years (never mind the results on paper), since one of our premier fast bowlers was lost to the ICL.

The current spearhead (I use the term loosely) is a very accurate young left-arm spinner and the pace stocks don't look very promising. This left-arm spinner thrives on working on the batsmen's patience, bowling a leg-stump line on home pitches tailormade for his style of tying the batsmen down. Low, slow and turning tracks mean that visiting batsmen cannot force the pace and by sheer weight of runs, the Baroda team has got through in the recent past. :@

The pitch, which used to be one of the liveliest in the nation and produced some riveting cricket, is now an abomination where such a variety of pathetic cricket is being played. Not good for cricket at all, IMHO and I know a lot of ex-Baroda cricketers (Anshuman Gaekwad included) who have vociferously criticised such tactics.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither strategy is good for Indian cricket. Baroda's cricket has headed south in the last 4-5 years (never mind the results on paper), since one of our premier fast bowlers was lost to the ICL.
Is this R Patel? He looked a very promising bowler in the ICL, bowled around 135kph.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
ROI all out for 400, Ojha picks up 5. Hope he continues his good form and gets selected for the test matches against WI

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ROI all out for 400, Ojha picks up 5. Hope he continues his good form and gets selected for the test matches against WI
Rajasthan you mean.

Dire stuff, Dhawan has absolutely murdered them in both innings.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Varun Aaron bowls a lot of short stuff, while Vinay pitches it up, moves it around and makes the batsmen play. Seriously good start here for him.

This after Dhawan delivered another colossal take that for being ignored for the ODIs.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

The current spearhead (I use the term loosely) is a very accurate young left-arm spinner and the pace stocks don't look very promising. This left-arm spinner thrives on working on the batsmen's patience, bowling a leg-stump line on home pitches tailormade for his style of tying the batsmen down. Low, slow and turning tracks mean that visiting batsmen cannot force the pace and by sheer weight of runs, the Baroda team has got through in the recent past. :@

The pitch, which used to be one of the liveliest in the nation and produced some riveting cricket, is now an abomination where such a variety of pathetic cricket is being played. Not good for cricket at all, IMHO and I know a lot of ex-Baroda cricketers (Anshuman Gaekwad included) who have vociferously criticised such tactics.
The third extreme is also bad. You have excessively seamer-friendly wickets, which are supposed to test the batsmen against seam, but then you have a way-over-the-hill JP Yadav running through teams and finishing in the top ten in the wickets. I feel a mix of pitches at each extreme is ideal, with each state preparing a pitch to suit them. You can then have a more complete picture.

I feel bowler-friendly wickets will make the batsmen more careful and show more respect to the bowling .Looking at Suresh Raina in action, I'd say (as also many others would) that he's a product of flat pitches. If pitches test him adequately, you'd have a more complete batsman. Likewise, more batsmen would contribute with the ball on a regular basis, which will be a plus in the team selections.

It will also encourage the spinners to attack a lot more. While Bharghav Bhatt isn't really trying hard, neither is Pragyan Ojha. Both of them are largely flat bowlers, who don't attack the bowlers much, and often benefit from large crushing cushions of runs. They've grown up in an era of flat decks, and don't look like running through sides. Rahul Sharma is thus a welcome change.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If anyone did not follow the match and is interested, this is Umesh Yadav's bowling from day 2.

I understand from Arjun's post that Yadav's been too short and hasn't made the batsmen play enough today.

Did send down some fairly good ones yesterday though. Was getting the ball to bounce awkwardly at times on a placid pitch and rapped Chopra's gloves a few times. It's good that he was able to top it off with two wickets too.

On the whole, it's quite clear that Vinay Kumar should be the next incumbent. With Praveen already in the test team, Vinay, in my mind, is the best seamer in the nation who hasn't got a chance. He's done brilliantly at the f/c level and has enough bowling skill and control to be able to make a mark. Gotta try him sooner rather than later.
Yes. Significantly different. He was a lot more penetrative on the second day, but throughout the third, a different bowler. Sadly, with little or no exposure to quality cricket or support in the Plate league, he'll learn little. Extensive A-team touring, as also good cross-platform performances, notably in IPL, will get him noticed by overseas franchises, and that'll give him what Ranji Trophy Plate won't, as I don't expect Vidarbha to go too far ahead. Unless he is lucky enough to get into a stronger team.

Later today, a commentator pointed out that the likes of Aaron and Umesh lack experienced mentoring support, which Vinay Kumar has in plenty, being a Karnataka player. He can go back to Dravid (if available), Kumble, Srinath and Prasad, as also lesser players like Dodda Ganesh and David Johnson. Playing over sixty FC games has also helped him, and he's a better-equipped bowler than the likes of Gagandeep, Paul and Bose. At least Aaron has a hard-to-catch Dhoni. Umesh has nobody, except, by a long shot, Delhi Daredevils captain Sehwag. Four more seasons, proper mentoring and scientific backup (not merely hurl at full pace) will make both better bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ojha should finish another season with Surrey, or go to New Zealand and play FC cricket there, as it will help him before his next Test.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Is this R Patel? He looked a very promising bowler in the ICL, bowled around 135kph.
Rakesh Patel was decently fast, but started losing pace, and was eventually left out of even provisional squads. Not surprisingly, he went to the ICL setup, but now that ICL players are coming back, he may come back. Honestly, the likes of Murtuza Vahora are hardly inspiring.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Ojha should finish another season with Surrey, or go to New Zealand and play FC cricket there, as it will help him before his next Test.
So who do you want as a spinner in test side?

Ojha would have played more games for Surrey this season but he was called as back up option for mishra when harbhajan got injured against England, because of that he missed some games

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
So who do you want as a spinner in test side?

Ojha would have played more games for Surrey this season but he was called as back up option for mishra when harbhajan got injured against England, because of that he missed some games
Murali Kartik, no second thoughts. They can keep both Harbhajan and Mishra, but the likes of Ojha, Ashwin, Abdulla, Chawla and Rahul Sharma need more games outside top-flight internationals before they are serious prospects- at least fifty.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Can anyone tell me why Murali Kartik fell out of contention for the spinner spot? He could be an ideal short term solution for India until the likes of Ojha, Ashwin, Abdulla, Chawla and Rahul Sharma get more games under their belt.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Perhaps it has to do with his team. Railways isn't a state, therefore no political backing.